iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Real Cold Day !

Started by Autocar, December 06, 2010, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I loaded three loads of logs this morning faceing into the wind. I must be a gettting old I was about froze. The first trip back home I went in the shed and got a clear plastic face sheild that flips up and down and wore it. It sure made a difference on my face,the wind was out of the northwest with snow about twenty mile per hour  ;D
Bill

SwampDonkey

We was suppose to get snow, but we only got 2" and by mid morning it was raining and ain't stopped. ;D

Your just getting older and starting to whine more. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: Autocar on December 06, 2010, 02:41:34 PM
I loaded three loads of logs this morning faceing into the wind. I must be a gettting old I was about froze. The first trip back home I went in the shed and got a clear plastic face sheild that flips up and down and wore it. It sure made a difference on my face,the wind was out of the northwest with snow about twenty mile per hour  ;D

I'm a fan of wearing a snowmobile helmet to handle those winds, when I am plowing snow. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

Was  DanG cold here today witha 30 mph wind

makes a guy think winter is coming :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Coon

Just think you guys.... the 21st of this month is the shortest day of the year and they will start to get longer again.  If your face was cold you need to grow a bigger beard.  ;D  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

fishpharmer

Winter is here! The weather website shows Meridian, MS four degrees warmer than Harrison, MI at this moment.  Its 19 F in Harrison.  Autocar I don't like it either.  A beard really does help in tbe wind.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

24F here this morning Fish. You might need to gather some of them mill slabs for a few days. ;D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BrothersMule

My truck said 14 F this morning and the thermostat out side the office still says 18 F. I would say winter is here to stay.

Gary_C

I had to return a tool that I had borrowed and didn't get to it till late last night. Temp on the car thermometer ranged from +2 F to -2 F at about 11 PM last night. But just wait for next week. Here is the forecast from the NWS for this area.

Discussion.../issued 247 am CST Tuesday Dec 7 2010/

While the start to this winter through today is the most active
in terms of snowfall in 19 years for the Twin Cities and
surrounding communities...the slightly bigger story over the next
week looks to be temperatures. Readings will continue to be 10 to
15 degrees below normal this week...before even colder
temperatures dive in for the weekend. But by no means is the
active precipitation stretch done...as snow still is likely for some
areas on Thursday with possibly patchy freezing drizzle too.
Additional snow potential exists for the forecast area on Friday
night into Saturday...with possibly some blowing snow as the
Arctic air surges in.

So enjoy this warm weather while you can.     

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

-11°F here at 8:30 this morning, I can't wait for it to get colder. Gary C is down in the MN banana belt, I think he is 2 climate zones warmer :D You guys seem to be getting all the snow, though, Gary. We probably have 4-5" on the ground. I'm surprised to see it as cold as you have down there, Fish. Is that normal for your area?
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

I have been working on a job between Hinckley, MN and Danbury, WI and took this picture Dec. 2 just before I moved the semi. When I cleared the snow off the deck of the trailer I took my tape measure out and there was 16 inches of the white stuff on the deck. Looks like a winter wonderland but it's not much fun for me.  ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

fishpharmer

SD the slab pile is shrinking fast. Barbender, below 30 is not uncommon.  Below 20 is  rare.  30's at night are normal.

The best snow is in pictures. Don't send it down here.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

northwoods1

Definitely getting cold here too i might actually have to start plugging the dodge in in the next few days it looks like :o
Did go look at a job I will be setting up on by the end of the month. There was a nice small field at one end of it that was sheltered by the wind that I wanted to set up on, but decided not to because there was a wet area separating it from a good part of the job. The next best place was pretty good and I'm eager to get started there, I hate working on a landing that is fully exposed to the prevailing wind :'(

SwampDonkey

Zero F by Thursday night, but doesn't look like it's going to last long because the next day going up in the 20's.

Ken

It would be great if we could get a few cold nights.  Certainly not a fan of winter but love to see it froze up everywhere.   I am getting sick of trying to fix rutted roads.  We had to move to a different job just to be able to move some wood when it is ready to go.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Autocar

It was cold again today we just can't get the wind to lay. I cut trees in my carhart bibs with a sweater but once I got on the west side of the woods it wasn't long I was looking for my hood  ;D
Bill

Quebecnewf

Last year we had no snow to speak of. I launched my boat in the middle of March . This is unheard of in this region. Now it is the 7th of Dec and we have yet to see a blossem of snow fall . Montreal got 30cm today and we are walking around with running shoes on . Weird or what??

Bring on the snow and cold I say. I have 200 logs left in the woods from last year and if I don't get them this winter they will be a total loss.

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Quebecnewf

Glad to see you back.

No ice yet either?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

No ice no nothing. Last year was a total bust and right now this one looks like its going the same way.

Quebecnewf

woodmills1

looking forward to the 40's forcast for this weekend

need to put away the hoses   :D

and it would be nice to clean my garage in some winter balmy weather
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Quebecnewf

here is a pic from last year when we went in the woods for the last time to pick up the tools and store things for the summer. This pic was taken in the last of Feb

Hard to believe

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Here is another pic of some of the logs we cut (they are still in the woods) this pic was taken in Jan and we had a small amount of snow. We worked about a week in the woods and then the weather turned mild and that was that

All the snow melted and we had spring in March

Quebecnewf

Chuck White

When I got up this morning at 5:00 we had around 15°F and there was about 1½ feet of snow in the driveway.

I ran the snowblower over the driveway 4 times today, just got done with the last run for the day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Welcome back Newf. I only had enough snow to barely cover the clover and most of that was crust. It was good for sledding and walking on top of. We keep missing all the snow here so far this year. Barely enough to cover the lawn grass. I guess no hurry yet to build another sled. ::)

WDH

Chance of snow flurries here today and tonight.  Crazy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!