iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Miss Moose and I got our prius

Started by Modat22, January 10, 2007, 11:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Furby - thanks for clarifying this question for me.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dan_Shade

My brother works directly with the engine industry concerning deisel particulate emmissions.  He's a pretty smart fella, I can't keep up with his talk of all of that stuff.... :)

He does a lot of lab testing to help engine designers meet the EPA standards and provides them feedback.

He has done some interesting research concerning the various sulfur levels and also with Biodeisel.  Biodeisel has a higher NOx output, if I remember correctly (going from memory with a dinner table conversation over christmas).   

It's unfortanate that some people equate being "sensable" to the wacko's out there on the envirnmental front.  We've only got one world, lets start a "conservation" movement to stick it to the "envirnmental" movement. 

Cheers to you on the prius, i'd get one too if I could afford another car.  I keep thinking motorcycle, but I should be thinking bicycle!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Modat22

After thinking about it a little, I should say "The Bank got a new prius" but it allows us to drive it for awhile.

second fill up this morning. 8.9 gallons 418 miles. That is better than my 750 honda motor cycle. Its kind of a wierd car to get used too, the air conditioner doesn't effect gas mileage very much but the heater does. The AC has a brushless DC motor powered compressor, the heater still uses circulating engine coolent. SO the engine will run a bit to warm the coolent then shut off for awhile.
remember man that thy are dust.

slowzuki

I don't know about the cars but most of the Toyota trucks are built in cali, thats why they are different than the rest of the worlds toyota trucks and why there are no 1-ton tacomas like the 1-ton hi-luxs in australia and elsewhere.

SwampDonkey

The new Tundra is a beast though.  ;)

10,000 lb towing capacity

3 size engines to choose from, 5.7L i-force V8 is one engine (381 HP, Torque 401lb-ft), 4.0 and 4.7 L available.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

While it's true that BioDiesel has slightly more NOx emissions, it beats the tar out of all the OTHER pollutants from Dino Diesel.  NOx emissions are being worked on with Bio Diesel, and soon, it WILL be the best alternative to liquid fuel uses.  Straight Veg Oil is absolutely the best (SVO).
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dan_Shade

yep, at least it's a step on the path to renewable resources! 

I'd like to see the President challenge us to renewable energy like Kennedy did to go to the moon.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Modat22 on January 12, 2007, 01:34:29 PM
Its kind of a wierd car to get used too, the air conditioner doesn't effect gas mileage very much but the heater does. The AC has a brushless DC motor powered compressor, the heater still uses circulating engine coolent. SO the engine will run a bit to warm the coolent then shut off for awhile.

How well would that work when the temperature is -40?  How do the batteries hold up then?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Dan_Shade

getting any battery to work at -40 (F), i don't understand that metric crap ;) is a challenge!  if it's 40 below here, I'm staying home!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 12, 2007, 04:59:04 PM
getting any battery to work at -40 (F), i don't understand that metric scrapple ;) is a challenge!  if it's 40 below here, I'm staying home!

-40 °F = -40 °C ;D What's to understand? It's #@#$  :-X :-X cold. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Part_Timer

Modat  That guy is just mad because he has stock in the oil companies.  Next time tell him yep and the wife wears fur.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Modat22

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on January 12, 2007, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: Modat22 on January 12, 2007, 01:34:29 PM
Its kind of a wierd car to get used too, the air conditioner doesn't effect gas mileage very much but the heater does. The AC has a brushless DC motor powered compressor, the heater still uses circulating engine coolent. SO the engine will run a bit to warm the coolent then shut off for awhile.

How well would that work when the temperature is -40?  How do the batteries hold up then?

The batteries have two vent ducts that force cabin air thru the battery stack, they both cool and heat the batteries :)

I imagine that if its -40 the prius would be a gas only car for the first 30 min or so.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!