iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They gutted me like a carp

Started by scgargoyle, April 06, 2016, 08:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

Ouch! I had to get my hernia repaired yesterday. I've been living with it a while, and kept putting it off until I got the house done. I had the other side done years ago, so I know what to expect, but there were some complications. Once they got in there, they had to repair my bladder, too, so I have a catheter for 10 days. Rather unpleasant. I had wanted to have it repaired laproscopically, but with the bladder issue, they couldn't have anyway. So now I have nothing to do but cruise the internet and watch spring unfold here in SC. Gettin' old ain't for sissies!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

yukon cornelius

Hope you get healed up quick! That doesn't sound like much fun.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Mercy sakes,, well glad you got fixed, but hate to hear of the complications,, this reminds me of my late uncle Jess,  he hated to go to the doctor,, every time he did he wound up in the hospital,,with something wrong he did not even know he had,, enjoy the rest while you can,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Raider Bill

Feel the Bern! ;)

Walking around with bags hanging from you sure isn't much fun.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thechknhwk

Hernias aren't just for old guys :D.  I had a double inguinal done in my twenties.

Hope you  heal quickly.

Raider Bill

I forgot to add that you shouldn't go to the grocery store wearing shorts either for the next few days.  ;D

WmFritz

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 06, 2016, 12:06:49 PM
I forgot to add that you shouldn't go to the grocery store wearing shorts either for the next few days.  ;D

Walmart is alright.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Mooseherder

r.man

WmFritz my wife laughed out loud for a time after hearing your reply. Scgargoyle I had my gall bladder removed the old way when I was in my twenties, not fun at all.  I think it was 6 weeks before I was supposed to start lifting much and I had what felt like tearing even years later as everything settled in. A piece of advice, my hospital had a whole sheet for me describing how I should support the area while I coughed but they didn't say a word about sneezing. Not something you want to do the first week or so. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear it and hope you heal up quickly and fully. My gall bladder went south on me a few years back in Bagram Afghanistan and they medivacced me to Dubai and removed it laproscopically. Had a 1" gall stone they broke up and took out in pieces. Pretty much a non-event till they decided to remove a vascular cyst off my left kidney that showed up on their scope and left a 6" scar from that.

Reminds me of the old joke " I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Uncle Will and not screaming and yelling like the other 5 people in the car he was driving at the time."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Quote from: r.man on April 07, 2016, 08:11:45 AM
WmFritz my wife laughed out loud for a time after hearing your reply. Scgargoyle I had my gall bladder removed the old way when I was in my twenties, not fun at all.  I think it was 6 weeks before I was supposed to start lifting much and I had what felt like tearing even years later as everything settled in. A piece of advice, my hospital had a whole sheet for me describing how I should support the area while I coughed but they didn't say a word about sneezing. Not something you want to do the first week or so.

After I had my colon resection,  I needed to get out of the house so I went to.....Walmart! bags hanging off me and everything, I wanted to fit in but couldn't bring myself to wear shorts. I had become one with my pillow which was used to hold my stomach in in case of coughs, sneezes and to keep presure on my belly but forgot it on this trip. I needed something in the auto section so wandered off that way. I sneezed, I screamed, I fell to the floor, popped 2 staples and was bleeding though my shirt. That's how they found me. Store security thought I had been stabbed in the stomach. My girlfriend [and everyone within 5 miles] heard me came running.
I became a walmartian that day :D

Roxie

:D :D  What a great story! 
Say when

Jeff

QuoteThey gutted me like a carp

Please tell us they left your mud vein alone!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on April 07, 2016, 12:16:28 PM
QuoteThey gutted me like a carp

Please tell us they left your mud vein alone!

steve_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: Roxie on April 07, 2016, 12:04:03 PM
:D :D  What a great story!

I needed a good belly laugh to finish out a crappy day.  :D

And Jeff... you ain't right!  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

scgargoyle

Thanks for the laugh, Bill. It's almost as bad as sneezing/coughing. I'm paranoid about sneezing, as once I start, I can't stop for about ten minutes.

sandsawmill14

hope you get to feeling better soon :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Den Socling

While I'm sorry about your medical problems, sccgargoyle, these guys sure made an entertaining thread out it!

scgargoyle

More fun last night. In trying to get up off of the couch, I somehow opened the drain valve on the bag. Here I am trying to move quickly (not possible) yell for my wife (not possible) and shut the thing off (I did, after it was empty). I'm standing there in the living room, doing a one-man stage presentation of 'On Golden Pond'. The dog is terrified, convinced that my wife is going to swat me with a rolled-up newspaper and rub my nose in the carpet. For better or worse, I guess, but I did check to make sure she didn't take her suitcase with her this morning! :D

thechknhwk

There's always adult day care, lol.

Ox

Quote from: scgargoyle on April 08, 2016, 06:13:24 AM
I'm paranoid about sneezing, as once I start, I can't stop for about ten minutes.

I saw this and I had to try to let you know what works for me.  Hopefully it helps you out.  When I need to not sneeze (hunting, not waking up kids, etc.) I'll feel the sneeze coming on and then I'll squeeze my nostrils together with one hand and breathe through my mouth for a minute or so.  It always passes without a sneeze.  I squeeze pretty hard, not enough to cause real pain but it's a little uncomfortable.  Both nostrils are flattened out.  I hope this helps.  God speed recovery.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

scgargoyle

Good tip about sneezing. I've tried a number of things like that. For some reason, rubbing my face, from top to bottom seems to work.

I wish last night's episode had happened at Wal-Mart; then I could hang with Raider Bill!

sandhills

Just keep that sense of humor, healing will go faster (or at least more tolerable) that way.  I too wish for a speedy recovery for you.

rjwoelk

My brother had to get a vein graft in both legs as the arteries were closing off. He was complaining to my sister (RN surgery )about how sore he was, she told him they cut you open remove all your guts, then do th  work and stuff them back in. He was mortified,😲
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!