iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had a wild Hare...

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2007, 08:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I had a unigue encounter of a bunny kind this last week.  I had been mowing behind my Sister's cabin. I jumped on one of the quads to move it, looked into the newly mowed grass and I  found this Varying Hare. Rather I think it found me. It wasn't shy or scared at all. He let me take a video and a few photos, then off he went. I sure don't know how he will survive with  his friendly disposition.  I sure enjoyed our short visit. :)

Youtube video clip
http://www.youtube.com/v/xX34RoyHswY
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

gary

Furby

Ya think he liked the sound of the quad?

beenthere

Seems too cute to be a food source.
Never seen one before....thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

you gotta be careful around them things, Jeff.  They're unpredictable, at the slightest provocation, they'll take your jugular clean out, and there's blood everywhere.  I saw it in a movie once.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

crtreedude

I sure hope the Holy Grail is nowhere near by...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Norm

What a cute little guy. :)

When we moved to the country many years back I thought I'd raise rabbits for meat. Got me a buck and doe for stock and along came the first batch of little bunnies. Oh my gosh were they cute, there was no way I could butcher them.  :D

SwampDonkey

They learn quick.  ;D One of the guys grabbed one by the ears this spring and he was just a squeel'n.  ;D

Them darn things have 2 or 3 litters a year.  ::)

We call'm snowshoe hare up here in hinterland. One in the same.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Our son and his soon to be wife are moving down to help with the company business. Well, these has already caused relocation of livestock. Seems she isn't comfortable have a personal relationship with her food - so the sheep (and the cute lambs) have been moved up to the farm.

She loves animals and I fear she would have definitely been giving them names and we would be waiting for the to die of old age before we could do anything.  ;)

SwampDonkey

I've eaten hare, no different than chicken actually when prepared properly. Probably a lot cleaner to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We was always eating rabbit when I was growing up.Seems like we always had it in a stew.Not many around now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Rabbits tend to be cyclic. The population will tend to grow until the start to die out due to disease (predators only help slow em down) - then the survivers will start the population explosion all over again.

Radar67

I have a good batter recipe for rabbit...anybody want it?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on August 25, 2007, 08:54:52 PM
We was always eating rabbit when I was growing up.Seems like we always had it in a stew.Not many around now.

I can send down a few.  ;D

Norm

Heck yes Stew, as long as I'm not the one doing the butchering I love domestic rabbit meat. :)

Radar67

The batter recipe is real easy, mix one cup of finely crushed Frosted Flakes cereal into one cup of flour. Soak the rabbit in milk a minimum of two hours. From milk to flour, to milk then flour again. Fry just like you would chicken. You can season to taste. I use just a pinch of salt and red pepper in the batter.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Dan_Shade

Do any of you guys raise rabbits?  I've kicked around the idea, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle of it.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Radar67

Dan, I don't raise rabbits, but my daughters have one as a pet. The hutch gets cleaned once a week and he gets fed hay twice a day. They are not a lot of trouble at all.

A friend of ours does raise rabbits. She has hardware cloth bottoms in the hutches so she only had to scoop up the waste once a month.

Stew

Warren

Well, since the conversation has turned to food...  Many years ago I was on a business trip to Brussells, Belgium.  Rabbit meat is very common in the butcher shops in Belgium.  One day the company cafeteria had hassenpfeffer as a main dish. SO I took it.    One of my hosts made a comment that I was the first American he had seen take the hassenpfeffer.  I explained that where I grew up, hunting rabbits and squirrels for food was very common. 

SQUIRRELS ?!?!?!    >:(

NO !  NO ! NO ! they said. Rabbits are for food.  Squirrels are your furry little friends that you feed when you go to the park.   I tried to politely explain that where I came from they were both considered food.   Needless to say, much animated, cross cultural, conversation followed....

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Onthesauk

Dan,

If you do decide to raise rabbits, count on great gardens too.  Not a better fertilizer then rabbit manure as far as I'm concerned.  I once grew potatoes in a rabbit manure/maple leaf compost and had individual potatoes over 4 pounds.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dan_Shade

that's one reason I want to do it.  and then common sense catches up with me.

limbrat

There kin to nuteria and make great dumplins. Worm beds work great under rabbit pens as well.
ben

SwampDonkey

If ya want earthworms, just plant raspberry canes.

Soil peds from earthworm workings.

Just wait till ya see a shovel full of that earth turned over.  ;D

Norm

Dan they are pretty easy to raise. The biggest problems we had with them was how they handled heat. We put gallon milk containers with frozen water in their cages on the hottest days to help. Other than making sure you kept the cages clean they were not much hassle....well other than the since I couldn't butcher them and ending up with way more than I intended. :D

limbrat

That aint some of them worms that i heard was eaten the northern forest or at least the leaf litter?
ben

SwampDonkey

Good 'ole earth worms. Nothing better for the ground.  ;D

Most agricultural fields have killed them all off with spray for insects.  ::)

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 27, 2007, 04:48:45 PM
Most agricultural fields have killed them all off with spray for insects.  ::)

Is this fact, or your personal feeling?  Don't mean to be critical, but not something that I've thought was a problem with 'most' ag fields. Interested in learning more about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Ok, a little clarification. ;D Agricultural fields may be a broad spectrum because we could be talking cow pasture to, but I'm talking fields growing crops that use insecticides heavily. It's true around here for potato fields. If you grow hay year after year or cover crops that have no insecticide for years than you might find the worms. But, there are no worms here in spud fields. A lot of farmers here will grow two crops of spuds before rotating with grain or grasses.

Most technical articles on the subject require a subscription, otherwise you only get a glimpse of the abstract of the article.

limbrat

I got worms,  no seriously they are a side line for me i raise euoropen night crawlers that i sell to a local broker for bait and i use the casting myself.

Some worms like red wigglers and some night crawlers are composters and spend most of there time in the top couple of inches of there food like manure piles and dont depend on tunnels. Most earthworms are dependent on there tunnels and once they are broken up by tilling it stresses them to a point were they have a hard time recovering. Mix in some non organic fertilizers and pesticides and worms get like hens teeth.
ben

SwampDonkey

I was thinking about that to limbrat. When we plow fields here you don't see worms. When I used to till the garden I had tons of worms. I think the only time the worms are in the ground deep is during winter to get below frost. On any rainy warm night they come out on the driveway to celebrate.  ;D

Jeff, how the heck did we go from chasing hares to digging earthworms.  Sheesh. ::) ::) :-\

OneWithWood

Earthworms remind me of spaghetti  digin_2 sketti_1
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

asy

Yup...

Around here EVERYTHING cycles back 'round to food...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

I have a video of my sister taking a video while I am taking a video of the baby Hare. :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/5fBexNj2Xn0

sprucebunny

You're just lucky it wasn't one of those killer rabbits :D

I hope the hare was lucky, too.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Norm

Ain't living in the country great. :)

Patty

Ummmm spaghetti, did some one mention spaghetti? I love spaghetti!  digin_2
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

My dad, his entire life would say spergetti.  :)

Mooseherder

My daughters had a neighbor friend in our old neighborhood that called it "Pusgetti"
She was about 5 at the time. We still call it dat.

pasbuild

My father-in-law loves his meat and badadoes
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Roxie

I think if we had a "Video of the Year Award"...it would have to go to your sister's video of you video'n that adorable little bunny.  While you had awesome close up shots, her vantage point clearly showed lil bunnies lack of fear. 

Thanks for sharing that!   8)
Say when

Jeff

I got a comment on you "Wild Hare" youtube video yesterday.  Here is the comment, and my answer to them. I only like PETA when its spelled PITA and stuffed with meat. ;D

THEM
You understand it was in a state of pure terror trying but failing to get away from you. Is the video so cute anymore? It was trying to get back to its mother but was hopelessly lost. Actually rabbits can have heart attacks from the stress of such events. Great vid I guess?

ME
You are obviously an authority on wild "hairs" Thanks for your comments
The hare stayed around us for a couple hours. In the two videos you can see the bunny has plenty of room to leave, and comes and goes as it pleases.

Our bunny continued to come out into the yard for the next month or so, and continued to have little fear of us. We could walk up within a few feet of it before it would scurry around us. Eventually disapeared, probably do to natural predation
Now go comment on something else you know nothing about.

Mooseherder

Pure Terror!? :D :D :D
Some people. ::)

SwampDonkey

Little did that person know that little bunny was weened and it's mother was probably nesting on it's 3 or 4 litter by the time of year you took that video.  :D :D Heck the dang things scury all through our thinning operations as happy as larks to take advantage of all those nice tips and tender twigs and bark. All that nice protection to make trails in under away from fox and coyotes. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!