iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 1x4's

Started by South02, November 14, 2018, 12:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

South02

I'm  about to saw about 3 SYP logs for a friend who wants all the 1x4's I can get out them. The logs are about 14-15" on the small end. The logs have been down awhile and I will probably have to slab them a little heavy. I'm thinking I'll end up with a 9-10" cant. What would be the best way to saw these for the straightest 1x4's? I've included 2 examples. Which one would be the best, or is there a better way?  I have been sawing about 3 years now ( on the weekends and off days) with the Woodland Mills HM126 and a member of the Forestry Forum for about 3 years. I have learned a lot from this forum and learn something new everyday!

maple flats

I would think that generally example 1 will get more good 1x4's but that depends on the part that would be at the outside corners if you tried to cut just 1 off the top and bottom and make the rest a cant, then saw it. If you would still get all good boards example  would work fine, if in doubt, go with 1.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Lawg Dawg

I would go with example #1...and be turning the cant every couple boards to relieve tension!  Good luck!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Absolutely #1 and using the sawing sequence that LD described above.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

I prefer example #1.  If it is a long log, over 10', I would make the cant 5 inches wide, cut 1x5's, then edge to 4" to take out any bends due to stress  Extra work and there is loss, but I hate to stack bent boards.  Just me.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The key here is that these are SYP logs.  This species has a juvenile core of about 15 rings that loves to shrink lengthwise and also loves to twist.  So, any 1x4 that has this wood will likely not be straight after drying.  

The big issue is if the rings, when looking at the end of the piece, are off center, edge to edge, then side-bend will be  likely on perhaps 2/3 of the pieces.  That is, for the straightest lumber the sawing pattern must be so that the ring pattern on the one edge is a mirror image of the pattern on the other edge, when the grain is viewed from the end of the piece of lumber.

We do know that commercial high temperature drying (230 F) does help keep lumber flat and straight, but this is not practical drying for smaller mills.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

moodnacreek

If I had to cut 1x4 or 2x4 from pine logs I would saw 1x off 2 sides down to 81/4" , split that and stack 2 or 3 on the carriage and saw the 1x4s. These center cants make the better quality 4" boards.

WDH

#2 is a bad plan.  Side bend city.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

South02

Thanks guys for the input, I will go with example 1. 

Thank You Sponsors!