iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New log staging set up for my manual mill

Started by whatwas, November 17, 2018, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwas

one log ready to mill and one in staging ready to go. everything is manual, no hydraulics..... like the ole saying..."keep it simple,...... stupid"
I got a couple scissor jacks(screw type) from the scrap yard and build a frame to raise each end of the log to lift it off the carriage, than I can roll the carriage out and lower the log onto the mill. 

I'm still working out the bugs, but this set up lets me load up a few logs than put the tractor away and mill. It also clears up the area in front of the mill to pile/sticker finished lumber.

life is good

nativewolf

Way to go.  But....but...what's that flamer doing?  That much snow already?   :o
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Skipper11A

I like it, especially the part about no hydraulics, keep it simple.  I also like your truss roof, it didn't look right at first, but then I noticed how that provides a 30' ? clear span and directs the rain to the ends of the mill and not right off the side where you're working...smart.  But you can keep that damned snow!

esteadle

Your trusses are very, very nice. Agree on the water flow. Nice design. 
I like those clear panels to create a wind break. Is that where wind comes from? 

Your dolley system is very nice. I like the trackwork to bring the dolley right into the mill frame tracks. 

How do you get the dolley off the mill? Do you have to lift it out from under the log? 

Oh, maybe that's one of the 'bugs'. 

If you had a winch from above, with a looped strap to put under the back of the log, you might bypass the rear jack? 

Nice though. Clever design. 

redbeard

Great idea for loading logs and
First class on the mill cover.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

whatwas

Quote from: esteadle on November 17, 2018, 08:16:52 PM
Your trusses are very, very nice. Agree on the water flow. Nice design.
I like those clear panels to create a wind break. Is that where wind comes from?

Your dolley system is very nice. I like the trackwork to bring the dolley right into the mill frame tracks.

How do you get the dolley off the mill? Do you have to lift it out from under the log?

Oh, maybe that's one of the 'bugs'.

If you had a winch from above, with a looped strap to put under the back of the log, you might bypass the rear jack?

Nice though. Clever design.
Thanks for the positive feedback,( I'm always nervous when I post something) 
esteadle... the front crossmember of the dolley is removable, so when you have the log lifted on the jacks you can pull the crossmember and roll the trolley out.
Originally the roof was just a place to park the mill when not in use ,but after reading on this forum about insurance and than looking into it myself, I pulled the axle, blocked er up and bring the logs home.
life is good

Quebecnewf

I believe that's an Enercraft mill I see there . Can you give us some details on that . Age, hp, size, history etc?

Is there some reason you don't just have your log deck next to the mill . Load it up and then just roll them on .

A shorter version of this maybe .

We have snow now to  . Finished sawing for the season

Quebecnewf 

whatwas

Quote from: Quebecnewf on November 18, 2018, 04:59:22 AM
I believe that's an Enercraft mill I see there . Can you give us some details on that . Age, hp, size, history etc?

Is there some reason you don't just have your log deck next to the mill . Load it up and then just roll them on .

A shorter version of this maybe .

We have snow now to  . Finished sawing for the season

Quebecnewf
quebecnewf,
 I used to have it infront of mill but unloading larger timbers (cants) was painful, and if I had a big log that I'd ripped I needed the back-hoe to reach over to load. This just freed up the area infront of the mill for piling finished lumber or if needed I can load or unload with the forks.
It is a old enercraft, I'm not sure of the age but it cuts straight and true, any parts are available at the local TSC store. I upgraded to a much newer manual mill but it didn't stick around long, sold it and put the ole girl back in. I did up the hp from a 13 to a 24hp honda, that made a world of difference.
I,ve always enjoyed your posts and pics, keep them coming.
life is good

Thank You Sponsors!