iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There's no nails in those logs.

Started by Tom, October 29, 2005, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Every time Grandpa sawed a black walnut he hit something so he wouldn't saw them anymore.  They're not native to the area so every one has come from a yard or fence row.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Rockn H

I ran into a guy this morning that was apologizing about letting some Walnut logs go that he had been wanting to cut and have me saw. ::)  I told him "It was not a problem although I had been trying to work him in as soon as I could and had kept hoping on a cancellation". ;)  Inside, I was feeling so much relief because he is a repeat customer that gives good referals and now I'm off the hook.  Now don't get me wrong I would have sawed them when it came his turn.  You just have to see these trees.  J U N K .  Think of an old house with these trees running the fence around the yard and nails showing in every tree.   Talk of $30,000 walnut trees are everywhere you turn around here now. >:(

ohsoloco

This butt log looked really promising until I started winching it out of the pile.  Nah, there's nuttin' in that walnut log  :(

Quartlow

Best thing I found so far, an 8 inch crescent wrench, the kicker was I was sawing a crotch on half for myself for bowl blanks  ::) had to charge myself for a blade.

A few yeas ago my nephew bought a load of cull logs from the mill for firewood, one had been on the mill and there was a 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch cable  in it.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

ohsoloco

Neither of those sound fun to try and saw.  This next pic is from the same log as the chain was in.  Maybe there's a flagpole in there  ::)

This is the log that stuff came from.  I wonder what else is in there  ???  Guess I'm lucky this was all visible. 

DanG

My arborist buddy brought me some nice little pine logs that came from 3 yard trees, last week.  I hit a 6 penny nail about 6 inches from the butt end of the first butt log I sawed.  Scanned the other 2 and found metal in the same place in both of'em...just one little chirp on the detector, so I assume it was the same kind of nails.  Fortunately, he had bucked the 12 footers on the generous side, so I was still able to get 12 feet out of them by just lopping the end off. :)  Kinda makes me wonder why someone would put nails in a tree that close to the ground. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

DanG, maybe it was a little one.  I picked up some spruce last weekend, and while I was loading them the owner of the property came over and was talking to me.  She warned me that her grandson used that spruce as a tree house and that there could be some nails in it.  Happened to look at the butt log as I was winching it on the trailer and noticed at least a dozen nails sticking out of the thing  :(  There was quite a few right at the base of the tree.  They cut the tree just a few inches above the ground, and some of the nails were so close to the cut I don't see how they missed them with the chainsaw.  Haven't decided if I even want to mess around with that log  :-\

doublecut

HAd a local logger right here in our home town wnat us to cut some trees for him while we were at a show . I said no as there is always nails. Nop no nails in these just bunched and processed them form the our last logging block. Well i thought that should be alright coming right from the virgin forest. (And i know where this guy was logging) So he brings them and  it logpole  pine ,it had the processor marks in the outside of the log so he wasn't makin it up and on the last tree GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!
We hit a lag bolt the size of your middle fingure. Well we sawed it alright but it do much good for the teeth on the saw had to replace them but we were able to keep goin. But we are really amased.(Should of seen the guy's face) So When i hear that exact same saying which we do all the time. I let em hear that story. They all think I'm makin it up until i pull the piece out and show em!
doublecut

SwampDonkey

They banned creasote on telephone here 20 years ago and replaced all of them with the copper arsenate, now aparently they've become a problem.

Dr Mark Schneider of WoodTech, a branch company of UNB, first developed (1992) new technology based on a chemical formulation, which involves impregnating wood products with wood polymer composites. The process results in major improvements in the strength, hardness, lifespan, water and environmental decay resistance, environmental friendliness and colour penetration of wood.

In addition to using the technology to replace CCA, the other major opportunity is in the tropical hardwoods market. The process can be used to produce wood products from maple, birch and beech trees that have the beauty, durability and hardness of ebony.

In august 2003, Woodtech Inc met for the signing of technology transfer agreements for its wood modification and treatment technology with the Norwegian firm Wood Polymer Technologies ASA (WPT) . The plant will conduct business under the name Kebony Products

[source UNB Alumni news]
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

A spruce from a backyard in Lemont.  I already dug out one eyebolt and hook that was on the surface...they had a hammock attatched to it.  Took off a slab from this face, then I heard it.  Ouch.

Cut the top right off of the thing.

Still managed to get some nice 12" wide boards for my house sheathing  :)

pigman

This week I was sawing a 24in  historic eastern red cedar. About 6in from the center I hit two nice little square iron nails. :(     Turned the cant and hit another one on the other side. :'(  The nails look to be about the size of a horseshoe nail.  Those nails had to be in there a long long time. Since I am  to build some furniture out of the ERC for the customer, I should include the nails in the furniture someway since they are going to pay $ 40 USD for them.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ohsoloco

I was just thinking the other week how lucky I've been with not hitting any metal in my logs  ::)  I cut a huge white pine that had a tiny staple in it, then I put a 14" dia. or so pine on the mill, and ran into rows of nails ('bout three in a row) about 12" apart all the way down one face  >:( 

As you can see I didn't even get to finish the cut when I hit the eyebolt  :(

SwampDonkey

I think ya cut someone's tree stand down. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bob Smalser

Nope.  No nails in this one.

Just a RR spike.  This one in a second log.  Probably to hang a lantern sometime in the 1930's.  And because it was in a second log, I found it with the sawblade.

And the lead bullets don't hurt the carbide tips....

...it's the nail in the center that held up the target you have to watch for.   ;)
Bob

ohsoloco

Yeah, I don't mind hitting lead, ya don't know ya hit it until you see the shiny spots in your board/cant  ;)  Bob, it looks like you only hit a little bit of that spike...just the tip  ???  I don't know if that blade I clipped the eye bolt with will cut right again, gotta sharpen it and test it out sometime.

Bob, is that spike out of the log that you posted a picture of in the parbuckling thread  ???

I don't know if that could've been a tree stand or not, SD.  This was a yard tree in State College, but it is one of those developments on the outskirts of town, so I don't think it's been there that long.  It's amazing the farms and woods that are now sprouting housing developments.   

rebocardo

> is there a tree with a greater likely hood of metal in it than cedar?

A 300 year old white oak in the front yard of a corner lot.

Bob Smalser

Quote from: ohsoloco on April 02, 2006, 07:51:25 PM

Bob, is that spike out of the log that you posted a picture of in the parbuckling thread  ???

Yes.  A 60", 240-year-old Pacific Madrone or Arbutus.  Wood similar to beech but heavier and harder.  A favorite of turners.

Here's what it looks like finished:

Bob

SwampDonkey

DR Buck

Is it me, or was this thread hijacked?   Looks like it came back on topic though.   

When I hear "There's no nails in those logs", my response is: "well then you shouldn't have any problem signing this contract that says you pay for blade damage will you?"
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

I think it must be you.  This thing is just taking a typical Forestry Forum wander.  :D

iain

Tom how can it be typical?

there's no mention of food  ;D

Iain

sawguy21

I had forgotten how nice that arbutus is.  :)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

twoodward15

Food has already been brought up.  Didn't you hear them talking about all the walnut trees?  Food grows on them trees ya know.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Tom

I like that little coping saw.  You could use that at the Sunday table to help cut up in-bone hams.  :)

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!