TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: chain saw mill.  (Read 6076 times)

Offline ozhank53

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: chain saw mill.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 04:46:22 AM »
I run a husky 3120 on a Procut Sawmill that I built myself. It's slow cutting compared to Lucas mill, but a whole lot cheaper. I've cut all the timber (white cypress and ironbark) for my house and shed with it. It's great for small logs to take top and bottom off for building log cabin type walls.

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
  • Time is relevant, only because it exists.
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »
KGNC,

I have recently gone through a similar dielmma.  I have some trees.  Had some broken and downed during Rita.  Always building something.  Can't stand to see all that wood going to firewood, rotting, and/or just in the way.

Been that way for a while.  Actually, for a LONG while.  This was/is the year that itch HAD to be scratched. 

This internet thing, being such an open window of information, I began to search. 

My 'fleet' of chainsaws, being only two Poulan 18" and an old Poulan 66 with a bow blade (whom I have to take very good care of since I have depleted any parts in this part of the world some time ago), right away I could see I would need chainsaw(s) for a chainsaw mill.
(by the way, that old 66 will rattle the panes right out of a window when she goes to dancing and singing)

I found, what I thought, were some very good chainsaw mills, and looked at that very thoroughly.  For myself personally, when it came down to it, what I saw (no pun), was taking a tool (of notable necessary machine tolerances) and using it for something it wasn't particularly, or specifically designed to do.  Then, to get set up as I thought I should to be able to best utilize that method. was not going to be 'cheap', nor could I see it being a low maintence proposition, if there was going to be much cutting at all. 

Went through everything of relevance on related product, and (though I had been looking at possibility of log milling for about 25-30 yrs, or maybe even more....happens sometimes when I think about what year it actually is)...where was I? ....oh yeah...mills....anyhow, I found bandsaw mills. 

I inspected the various circular mills (I mean, those were the only kind I had seen in operation, or had any thought of existence), bandsaws, chainsaws, no saws, forget the whole thing, etc.

I ain't rich, by no means (moneywise, anyhow), and any expenditure in the 4 digits or more, is going to take some serious consideration and resolution.
Anyway, for me, to get any setup that I would feel reasonably secure with, was going to cost me at least $2-3K.  Not what I normally have laying around. 

I'm gathering more in depth information, videos, found THE FORESTRY FORUM (or, it found me, or something), checking finances, talking to my permanent female partner (I've heard some refer to these as, 'wives'), checking credit, etc.  If I'm going to finance, I might as well look from that aspect and look more at my particular need, return...and want.

I ended up ordering a small, portable, manual, heavy duty, 30" throat, 22' bandsaw w/my applied options for $600 down and will cost less than $175 a mo. 

However, I do have enough trees that loggers have been trying to get me to let them come in, I am in business and do have intent of working milling into the business, and do have several trees that are going to HAVE to be taken down VERY soon.

And yet, I still think of having chainsaw milling attachment for roughing out some logs.  With all the cutting I am going to have to do this year, I am probably going to bigger/newer saw, anyhow.  ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Offline KGNC

• Full Member x2
  • NC mountains
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 08:32:56 PM »
dail_h, Sorry i did not respond sooner. I miss your message. I'm near Boone, NC. Thanks for the offer, I've got a couple of local sawmill guys I have traded with in the past. Just like the idea of doing it myself.

tcsmpsi, I think that I would end up in the same situation as you. so right now I will just keep hiring the sawing done. but may just have to build a mill some day.

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 08:59:57 PM »
That Procut is a cool mill for chainsaw power.

Seems like a real nice guy, but I had to get a kick out of his free plans offer.  That's directly out of the old Popular Mechanics Encylopedia I have sitting on my shelf..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Offline JPM

• !
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »
i started with a procut , it was good to learn to weld but slow then  i saw a timber harvester band and i was hooked . put a oscar 28 on the procut bed  ;D and i still have the 3120

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mill Chain, Heavy Duty Conveyor Chain' etc

Started by splitter on Wanted

15 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 11:34:36 AM
by TexasTimbers
xx
chain saw mill

Started by hobbytrucker1966 on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 09:17:12 PM
by simplicityguy92