iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spiral bark pattern

Started by Troy, March 23, 2006, 09:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Been really busy and sorry I did not get to this faster.

The log and boards will be just fine.   Most logs have a slight right hand twist.   1/4 turn in 16 ft is not bad.  Furby brought up my old post and it is good info.   GrandPa always said that a log with left hand twist should be left in the woods to rot has proved true many many times over the years.  Like Ron said it is not good to leave them for seed stock either.   Here most hollow trees are of left hand twist.
  It would be good for follow up report on this to check out the way the lumber lays.
ARKANSAWYER

Norm

I stacked the cherry on stickers inside a morton shed. It's uninsulated so it warms up from the sun during the day and cools off during the night. A week later and the cherry is still flat and straight. Since I'm not sure how it'll turn out in the end I'm going to keep this wood for my own use.

Most of the lumber I saw if it's going to move you know it as soon as you slice the board off the log. I cut a soft maple log the same day, one slab that was 6/4 bowed up a good 8"s on the end. When the blade exited the other end I had rocking horse stock in that board.

SwampDonkey

I found an excerpt from a Silvics manual produced at the Maritime School of Forest Technology.

It has been found that the grain of wood in a young conifer usually has a left spiral. As the tree ages the left spiral gradually diminishes until the grain is straight then keeps twist to a right spiral, which increases with age. A tree going through this twisting cycle may be anywhere from 70 to 130 years old before it develops a right-spiral twist. Heavy right-spiral twist is one of the indicators of old growth.

The Textbook of Wood Technology suggests that spiral grain is a normal growth pattern, rather than straight grained wood. The extend and distribution of spirality in an individual tree are affected by environmental factors. The basic pattern of spiral-grain is 'believed' to be hereditary. Some trees contain both left and right spiral grain as you go from the pith to the cambium.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Some trees like gum switch every few years interlocking the grain.

This is a lefty floor joist, the closest one above the girder. It twists up on this side about 1" off the girder in 5" of width, the joist is 13' long.

A number of the logs were leftys, 2 of them had to be deeply kerfed to unwind them enough to lay flat. One has kerfs and a dozen 3/8 x 10" bolts, I think I broke 3 lags in the process as well.

I think the genetics must come into play, there's a stand of lefty hemlock at one edge of our place. All the others around here are pretty much righty.

lawyer_sawyer

just curious hwo the fence boards are doing and if you have seen any movement in them drying?
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

Fla._Deadheader

We sawed a twisty log, in Florida. The 1X boards would sag over a foot on each end, when ya picked 'em up in the middle of the 8' board.  :o :o :D :D

They'd be great for trimmin out the inside radius of arch windows er sumpin.  8) 8) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Cedarman

A lot of the cedar we saw has spiral grain.  It is never more apparent than when we split rails for fence.  I have seen some logs spiral 180 degrees in 10 feet.  But we never see any problem with sawn lumber.

We split sassafras also and some of those logs have 90 degrees in 10 foot.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe Swampy will post a photo of the boards. I THINK we still have a couple boards left.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

I've seen the spiral in old cedar telephone poles. I've also seen alot of spiral in lodgepole pine growing on swamps. Also, those old swamp pine are some hard, I've tried cutting them down with an axe and the axe just glances off. I think they're petrified.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!