TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Learning about Swingers  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Bob Smalser

• Share Post
    • Woodnet Articles by Bob Smalser
Re: Learning about Swingers
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »
Terrific!

Thanks, Matt.
Bob

Offline jack

• Work hard and wear deoderant!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »
Hey Matt,

What is this new dodad for the lucas mill?  to turn the frame around without a crane or twomanning it?

Could you send the picture of the device adn a website where we can see it?

Im running a Lucas 825 and im interested in this device.

Jack
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

Offline Bob Smalser

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »
Hey Matt,

What is this new doodad for the lucas mill?  to turn the frame around without a crane or twomanning it?

Could you send the picture of the device adn a website where we can see it?

IM running a Lucas 825 and im interested in this device.

Jack

I'm told it's featured in the new video available at Bailey's.

I mounted it and tried it out today.  I have an engine crane and swivel tackle set up at the end of the milll to reverse the powerhead to attack the logs from the opposite side.  This adapter bracket unites the frame and the trolley so you can position the horizontal sawblade over the log and lower the rails to spin the powerhead on the blade.  Looks like the engine crane goes back into the shop.

Try spinning your powerhead without the bracket and the powerhead frame seperates from the trolley at the front.  All the rubber bumper on the frame-mounted bracket does is allow the trolley to clear the rails.
Bob

Offline Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

• Share Post
    • www.lucasmill.com
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
Jack,

Bob has pretty much answered you question for me.

I have emailed you the instructions for fitment.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

Regards

Matt

Offline woodbeard

• Sailors have sea legs, sawyers have board feet.
    • Share Post
    • Dismal Guitars
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 10:05:41 PM »
That's a pretty cool idea!
I guess you probably ought to turn the engine off first, though.  :D

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 01:34:17 PM »
Which of the swingers do you think is the easiest to set up and saw one person, on unlevel ground, for 24+ inch logs? If you do not mind pushing the saw assembly?

Offline brdmkr

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to slow down...
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »
Rebocardo,

I have only used a Lucas, but I can say that my setup is generally performed by myself operating alone.  Without rushing, I can usually have everything set up in 30 minutes or so.  Thusfar, I have also not set up on really unlevel ground, but I will say that pushing or pulling the sawhead on very much of an angle would be tiring.  While I see the advantages of being able to cut on the taper or on unlevel ground, this is not something that I would want to do regularly.  However, if the opportunity presented itself and there were no other options, I would not hesitate to work on unlevel ground.

Really, the worst part of sawing alone is the off-bearing.  I reverse cut (cut vertical first) so I don't have to walk around the saw carriageto remove the board, but having to offbear and sticker by myself is a slow-going proposition.  I am sure that it results in > 50% cut in production.

If you are ever in SW Georgia and would like to saw some with my mill, just send me a PM.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Offline getoverit

• Senior Member x2
  • freeing trees from silence
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »
I havent sawed with the Lucas, but the Peterson ATS I have will saw on unlevel ground. If it isnt too unlevel, you can adjust the beam winches to adjust for the lulevelness. If it is really steep, it would be better to set the mill up so that one side is higher than the other, and then lower the beam on the high side. all of this adjusting is relatively easy to do.

It takes me about the same amount of time as brdmaker to set up my mill when I am alone, so I dont think there is any advantage one way or the other. I would be happy to demo my Peterson mill for you if you are in NE Florida.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Offline Bob Smalser

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 01:27:17 AM »

As flat ground where I live is almost unheard of, setup on slopes is an every-day affair.   One of the reasons I selected this type of mill almost a decade ago.

1)  Don't push uphill when you don't have to.  Sequence your cuts so's the 1" cut is on the upslope and the 8" cut is on the downslope.  You merely slide the powerhead carriage out of the log and push it out of the way to retrieve the board if alone  and the vertical cut is last....the scale stops will bring you back to your index.

2)  One potential killer with these mills is setup on so steep a slope the weight of the powerhead tips the entire mill on end  at the downhill end of the cut.  As that 22" spinning blade tilts forward and heads straight for the rocky ground, you'll be real happy they put that kill switch where it's handy.   ;)   Always make a couple dry runs on steep slopes, first....and a length of rope to tie the uphill end of the mill down to a ground stake isn't unheard of around here.
Bob

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 03:30:09 AM »
Like the guys have said the Peterson ATS and the Lucas mills do set up easier on uneven ground. You basically have only 4 ground contact points and the height is easy to adjust. With the WPF there are crossmembers and extra supports under the rails. Takes more time to adjust these for seriously uneven ground. The only heavy part of the mill is the carriage, and thats on wheels, like a big wheelbarrow.

I set up my ATS on all sorts of slopes if I have to, but I usually try and at least pivot the log so it's across the slope. Milling up and down slope is no fun. Bob's picture shows how he has jacked up the downhill end of the log to keep the rails relatively level.

And any of the mills can be set up and operated alone. But it's just so much faster with 2 people. While you are adjusting the mill for the next cut your off bearer grabs the board, then stacks it while you cut the next one. Keep the saw in the wood  ;) If it's idling while you carry a board away, it's not producing.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 08:40:13 AM »
I'd like to add some info here because I have received emails on this subject-

Our GripperDog "frame dogs" make this kind of setup that Bob is doing easy, as first the upper log dogs hold the log in place on the bunks, but then our lower frame dog brackets allow you to place a cross bearer, or footing under the main bunk (or skid) of any height or length needed, and that can be just on the downhill side only.  Also you can run that cross bearer beam all the way over to the other bunk at the other end of the log if you desire, and tie the whole frame in.

The frame dogs are solid welded steel, and clamp beams at 90 dgrs... so you can construct a solid framework (any height) under your log quickly and easily.  You can also lay down a plank to walk across while you saw.

The new Generation II frame dogs now have a stake pocket on each (bracket), instead of on the Dog.  This will let you drive an inexpensive steel concrete form stake from the building supply, at each frame dog- (each corner), of your cross bearing point, and lock it down with the set bolt.

Also- just to add the new Generation II log dogs are no longer made of steel and blade freindly.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »
Pics on Generation II GripperDog Log Dogs are here:

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=18241.20

-another shameless post by me..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Swingers... calling all swingers...

Started by sigidi on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2004, 09:28:15 PM
by Arthur
xx
No Swingers Around

Started by ARKANSAWYER on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post September 10, 2002, 04:05:42 PM
by Fla._Deadheader