iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ambrosia Maple

Started by Homer, March 28, 2006, 05:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Is Maple,red,swamp,sugar, the only trees attacked by the Ambrosia beetle? Does infestation occur when trees are living, standing dead or after felling ?
Thanks,
Homer

twoodward15

Another question to add to that.  Is it dry when the tracks show up or do they show up while the wood is still green?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Ron Wenrich

Ambrosia beetle is pretty much a generic term.  It covers a wide range of insects in their class.  They affect a lot of trees, but, I think that maples are the ones that get the galleries. 

I have seen similar streaks in tulip poplar, but am told that is the Columbian beetle. 

The tracks come up when the lumber is green.  Quite often you will see it in the log before you saw it.  Sometimes you will saw through the beetle infected area into areas without it. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

twoodward15

Thanks for the info, Ron!

Bob Smalser

Keep in mind only sapwood is affected, so you're not talking about a lotta wood.

Sapwood carries the tree's sugar....the beetle bores into it and lays eggs....fungus spores enter the hole and feed on the sugar, turning the hole blue-black....the eggs hatch and the hatchlings feed on the fungus.
Bob

twoodward15

Bob Smalser,  I didn't even know you were a member here.  How about fessin up some pictures of that nice madrone (wasn't it?) that you cut from that house near the water a couple years ago.

Bob Smalser

I'm new here, and can't get my pics to post.

Too high a resolution, I guess.

Turns out that was a state record Madrone.
Bob

Ron Wenrich

Although Ambrosia beetles only effect the sapwood, if the infestation happened long enough ago, there will be Ambrosia stain in heartwood.  It just depends on how long it takes for the sapwood to turn to heartwood. 

Also, infestations can happen quite often to a stand.  That amounts to a lot of stained wood.  I've sawn some soft maple logs that were more than 50% stained.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!