iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody know about D&L Double Cut Swingblade?

Started by JimBuis, March 30, 2006, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

I keep watching D&L's website for information about the swingblade.  Has anybody called them to get information on it yet?  I would just pick up the phone and ask them myself, but calls from Tokyo are a bit costly.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

thedeeredude

Call collect ;D  I don't know, but I've hand a hankering to see these for a while and still no pics.  I guess they're real busy.

Qweaver

I just got off of the phone with the folks at D&L.  The new 180deg swingblade is available to buy but they don't have a video of it yet.  They said about a two week to build.  I'd sure like to see one operate.  The cost is about $15,000 Canadian.  They are going to call me back with a more firm price and shipping costs.   This machine must be quite similar to the Eco Saw...but I don't know anything about them either.

If I'm going to buy a new saw, I'd sure like to check out a 180deg. swinger...especially if it is comparable in price and quality to the 90deg. machines.  The shipping cost that they gave me seemed way high.  Is there a lot of duty on machines coming into the US from Canada?
Quinton 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Captain

Lost Pines

Leland

Jeff Meyer

The machine is pretty nice.  Lindsey who builds them and owns the company was up at the Oregon Logging Conference.  He is a very nice guy with a lot of good ideas. 

Jeff

oakiemac

Ok I'll be the one to make a fool of himself.

I don't get the 180 swingblade thing. I understand the 90 degree rotation. You cut vertical then one inch or whatever horizontal to cut the board from the log. 180 degrees?? :P

I know I'm not the only one wondering about this.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

getoverit

The only hting I can guess is that it will cut from the left side of the log or the right side of the log. I dont know about Lucas, but the Peterson is set up to mill from the left side of the log.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

NZJake

Another swinger in the making I see...a blue one.

Lost Pines, whats the specs on the machine?
Log diameter, raise and fall, sideways shift, portabillity method etc. etc. Looks like it's got the 35 Briggs.

Doesn't look as though its set up to be pivoted and pushed from the opposite side of the bed though.
I'm sure Lindsey will jump on here any second.

Cheers, Jake.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

HORSELOGGER

Here is more info:

Mill : D&L Swing Blade 8x16 20 h.p kohler Electric start

Standard Options : 

- Diamond Sharpener

- 3 – 4 tooth carbide saws

- Cuts a 36" to 48" dia 20' 6" long log cut (30' track total & cross members)( extra track sections available in 20ft lengths ) and four cross   members

- 4x6 aluminum Extrusion  20ft track section

- 180 degree swing

- Blades sharpen on the mill

- Mild steel frame on the carriage

- Comes standard with three 4 tooth carbide saws

Options :

- Extra track 20ft                   
- Dogging system                  (per set of 3 (mild steel)

- Stainless Steel                    (per three)

- Extra saws                          Per saw 

- 27 h.p kohler                     
- stainless steel  option       
Freight is fob Lac La Hache B.C

Freight Quote upon request

Also, comes with electric rise and fall for vertical sizing as std. Mild steel version is standard with a stainless option. Prices around $14,000 with a set of 3 log dogs ( that actually work) and the 27 kohler, About 16000 bucks for the same in stainless. That is very competitive pricing, and lead times are supposed to be very short, around 2 weeks.

Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

twoodward15

I was thinking the same thing Oaskie, but I'm guessing it will allow you to saw a bigger log.  if you put a log inside the rails that touches both of them then you could saw to the very outside edge of the log by flipping the saw to that side.  if it only saws to one side then you will always be left with a wide/thick board from that one side, which will inherently have unusual stress because of the position of the log it was cut from. 

So, did I win a free mill?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

NZJake

twoodward15, the way I see it is which ever side you may start on  you will always sacrifice the width of the opposite side of the blade and arbor (used for the operator walk space), the horizontal blade must still make a pass first off on either side of the log. So I don't it see it sawing a larger log.

You'ld gain some flexabillity by cutting from both sides of a smaller log, but would have to calculate the width of the centre board if you were to do this.

Interesting stuff, HORSLOGGER, cheers.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Murf

I was thinkin' dat a 180° swing would mean ya could cut down, flip, move over an cut back up, instead of pushing it back but not cutting, dat would make you more efficient.  ::)

But then, the extra time to reposition would prolly eat up as much time as just moving the carriage.  ::)

In my case, Murphy's Law would prolly mean it would take even more time.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

HORSELOGGER

Jake is right ... it doesnt make the mill able to cut wider logs than the comparably sized competitors...and just for clarification, it swings 180 degree horizontaly, not verticaly :D ::) :)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

doublecut

Speaking on behalf of Lindsay

He is away at a Trade Show and will reply upon his return April 4, 2006

Qweaver

I'm waiting with "bated breath" for info on the new D&L Swinger.   I called and was told that it was ready to be sold.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.  :D :D 8)  Has anyone on the FF seen it operate yet?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

doublecut

Hey. Back in town for a couple of weeks now.
Well the 180 deg swing allows the operator to saw the log from either side with out our having to remove any guards or flip the head around on the mill.  It doesn't make it so you can cut a larger log but cut from either side of the log for wider boards. We will have updated pics for the forum soon. We are really busy right now so sorry for not getting back with a response right away.
Will be in touch soon
doublecut

doublecut

Quote from: Qweaver on April 04, 2006, 10:36:45 AM
I'm waiting with "bated breath" for info on the new D&L Swinger.   I called and was told that it was ready to be sold.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.  :D :D 8)  Has anyone on the FF seen it operate yet?

Hi "Qweaver"
We will be putting our video together over the next couple of weeks. We will sending out a brochure and spec sheet shortly.
We are in full production now and taking orders.  We are working on the video , but this all takes time.
So please be patient with us and we will do our best to get the information processed ASAP.
thanks for your patience
doublecut

Ga_Boy

Lindsey,

Is your new saw going to be in Richmond Va.?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

doublecut

We are looking at that show but right now it is very close to our forest expo here In Prince George B.C .The Forst expo is our largest show in canada and we are already commited to that show. BUt we are trying to see if we can work something out for the show. We will keep you informed.
doublecut

Husband

Lindsey, correct me if I am wrong, but you are using the Eco saw centre unit in your frame, if so, the reason for you not taking gaurds off for double cutting is because you dont have any on the mill around the blade when its in the horizontal position. On the eco saw frame, the tracks where the gaurd so to speak to keep the operator away from the blade at all times?

doublecut

You are correct in that we are using the ecosaw cradle in our carriage. The tracks do act like a guard yes but they are not the actual saw guards!!!!!!!!!!!! The guards are completely independent pieces in the cradle which do not need to be removed when doublecutting but still guard the saw and the operator !
Doublecut

sawguy21

Wish I could make that show to see your mill in action. I walked until I almost dropped trying to see everything the last time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doublecut

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 05, 2006, 10:15:48 AM
Wish I could make that show to see your mill in action. I walked until I almost dropped trying to see everything the last time.

"sawguy21 "

We will be in Kamloops on April 21, and 22 . We will have the ecosaw and the new D&L swing blade there with the japa fire wood processor and the CGI planer. Maybe we will see you there.
doublecut

NZJake

I think Chris means a horizontal guard or the equivelant such as this Lyndsey...

Both he and I are just curious to understand how the 180 degree negates the horizontal guard issue is all.
It maybe that you have some sort of alternative guard method?
I'd be very interested in having a look at your mill however, I really apreciate others thoughts in design processes.
Maybe Kerris will send me to America this year so I can meet some of you guys.

Did some fact finding with pics etc, it looks as though your horizontal guard is pivotted manually out of the way, while the horizontal double cut is performed. Am I correct?

Thank You Sponsors!