iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT70 vs. LT40 on site.

Started by customsawyer, September 07, 2006, 06:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Well as some of you know I have been blessed with the luck that I get to own two sawmills and having run them both in very similar situations and thought that yall might want to get some of the details as to there performance.

LT40SHD42: That means that it is a super with 42hp Kabota diesel
I ran this mill in Hazelhurst where I am currently at from July '05 to March '06. Nearest I can figure it I ran 786 bf/hr and 1191 bf/sharpening of each blade. Now on the hour end of it that is the hours taken off of the hour metter so that would include warm up time/cool down time each day and any time spent with chain saw making modifications to these rather large logs that I get to cut. On the sharpening it is averaged out to include any damaged blades due to metal or rocks. With this mill I never burned more than a gallon  of fuel /hr. I feel like it is a very fine mill and never had much trouble with it and she is still cutting today as my lovely wife has started sawing with it right beside me.

LT70SHD62 this sawmill is a super with a 62hp Cat diesel
I have been running this mill since March '06 to present day. So far I have gotten 997 bf/hour and 1962 bf/sharpening on the blades. With this mill I use closer to 1.5 gallons of fuel/hr but I don't mind as I get a little more production and I have now trained all of my equipment to eat chicken or soybeans (Bio Diesel) and don't none of them seem to mind.

I hope that this info will help someone down the road to make up there mind on which mill to buy.

Just a small side note for all of you folks getting excited about buying a LT70 and getting rich I also added a log deck with the LT70 so this also helps on the increase production of this mill over the LT40. I have run a edger, backhoe, and two men with both of these mill and just recently add a third man.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

D._Frederick

How long is the blade life before they break on each mill?

customsawyer

I can't really say as I just keep running them till they do. I do know that it depends on what they are cutting. I have some of my LT40 blades .55x1.25 that have been sharpened down to about .75" My LT70 blades have only been sharpened once. .55x1.5
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

That's pretty impressive performance.  What kind of logs - brand and size are you sawing?

We've found it makes a big difference in the bf/hr when we saw nice, plump logs, vs. short, crooked logs.

I'd like to hear more about your log deck.  I assume it's a WM deck hooked into the hydraulic system on your mill.  I'd like to invest in a log deck but Mary is not ready.  I think it's because I have been the one to roll the logs onto the deck (we have a "dead deck" right now) and it gives here a break from off-bearing while I struggle with loading the next log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

I cut about 70% 4/4 red oak 15% 4/4 white oak and the rest is a mixed up in cypress, popular and about 1 day a month of cross ties. They all run in length from 8' to 16' mostly 20'
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

That thing wasn't suposed to post yet I was still typing or should I say hunt and pecking.
Any way they are 20" dia. or better on the small end. some day they run a little smaller with alot more knots when they are cleaning up the end of some of there rows like today I only had two logs that I should have been cutting and the rest should have went to the chipper but if they bring them to me to be sawed they will be sawed.
As for the log deck it is a woodmizer or amwv anyway it is green like the LT300 I like it pretty well I think it would do great on nice pine logs but on these hard wood logs I will get about 2 or 3 out of every 10 logs that I will have to use the cant hooks on to roll it off of the loader due to knots hanging up or something but 2 or 3 is better than all. The thing I like is that while the men are stacking the last of the lumber I just cut I usually can have the next log in position by the time they get turned around and start to catch slabs again.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pigman

customsawyer, you are going to have to slow down a bit. WM advertises that the 40 Super can only cut 550 bdft per hour and the LT70 can only cut 800 bdft per hour. We all know the mill manufacturers over state the performance of their mills. ;)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

brdmkr

I don't have a band mill, but I have been impressed by some of the production figures I see on some of the higher end mills.  Your numbers seem to more than agree with the WM numbers.  I do have a question regarding edgers.  Most manufactures advertise a 30% increase with some saying 50%.  Did you see that kind of production increase with an edger?  Does anyone know what percentage of mobile sawyers use edgers (seems low to me, but I wouldn't really know)?  I would assume that number would be high if a 30% increase was normal.  Perhaps mobile sawyers don't use them because of transportation difficulties (mill + edger)????
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Oh, that Customsawyer Whippersnapper! ::)  I can't believe he posted some such as this widout no pix. ???  I can forgive him though, 'cause he's just a kid...ain't even fawty yet.

Here's a shot of his log deck and some of the muddy crap they send him.

Now, me being such an upstandin' and honest feller,  I could tell ya that is Jake in the picture, and you'd probably believe me, but, me being such an upstandin' and honest feller, I gotta tell ya that it ain't.  That is the ahhh, errr, "operator" of the LT300 next door, which was sent over for a sawin' lesson. ::)

If ya wonder how CS can post them numbers, the answer is, non-stop motion.  I've posted this next pic before, but it deserves another look.  Notice, if you will, that Jake is well into setting the mill for the next cut.  Where is the last board?  Yep, it's still falling!  Somehow or t'other, that country boy has hit upon the secret.  Ya keep the saw in the wood!

Another key is the two Mexican fellers behind him.  I don't know what he pays them or anything, but they sure seem happy to be doing what they do.  When he points to something, they hop right to it, and seem to always have a grin on their face.  I gotta figger he's treating them right. ;)

Well, alas the party's over.  That pretty woman that has thrown in her lot with this Whippersnapper is running a mill right beside his! :o  The endless cheeseburgers are a thing of the past, and them overhauls is gonna go all slack in the butt.  Yep, she gonna put the whip to ol' Jake, and there ain't no tellin' what the books is gonna look like next year! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

Well I have done some thing this morning that I have never done. I was the only member on this morning. That is bad when you come here and you ain't got no one to talk to. I you guys trying to tell me something? :D ;D

The thing about having a edger is that you really need at least one man to go with it but two is better otherwise you end up taking your time away from the mill. As for the how much they increase I really wouldn't know.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodbowl

Quote from: customsawyer on September 08, 2006, 04:31:11 AM
Well I have done some thing this morning that I have never done. I was the only member on this morning. That is bad when you come here and you ain't got no one to talk to.

Well Jake ...... no wonder, you get up at like ..... three O DanG clock in the mornin'. I know you've got that drive to make to the mill and you want to get there early to get er done. You can flat sure do that, dats for sure. I wish I could have spent a little more time up there, maybe I can squeeze in another trip later on.

The BFPH numbers that Jake has quoted may raise an eyebrow or two. He's not pullin' our leg on this one.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Percy

Thanks  for the info/comparison Customsawyer.
  Just under  a 1000 bdft an hour(4/4) is very impressive.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

I don't think that I deserve much credit as to the numbers. I have the easy job keep the blade in the wood and don't let it stop. The men that are behind me get most of the credit as they take care of everything else and I don't have to leave the controls. My drink is sitting right next to me so even when I need to get something to drink I do it while the saw is cutting. Oh yea Woodmizer gets some of the credit as well good machines to work with. I posted earlier on the LT40 I was able to hit the million bf mark and had only spent alittle over $3,500.00 on repair parts not counting blades. The fact that 90% of the logs that I cut are of fairly large size seems to help, basicly if you were to take a walk in the woods and looked at all the really nice hardwoods that you would just love to get on your mill that is what I get to cut every day and I just have to do the butt cuts as the other mill does all the rest. Things like that really help in the production side of it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Percy

Its all about having efficient material flow. You have obviously got that figured. IF you can keep the saw in the wood(cutting), constantly. I cut bridge timbers with my LT70(42hp Kubota) and have had 1000 bdft per hour days but its a lot quicker makin 8x12 outta 32 inch Sitka Spruce as opposed to 4/4 outta Oak. You have the mill(accuset,chain turner/dragback)mastered.  I noticed yesterday(after reading your post) that I do spend alot of time waiting for the log to lift up on the machine. I can see where a powered logdeck could up my production significantly. Id like to see some pics of your layout.
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Tom Sawyer

What did you have to do to get your mills to run on bio-diesel?  Where do you get your fuel?

Tom

customsawyer

Percy I have lots and lots of pic. but lack suffecent intel. to install. but I have been using that kodac easy share and I just learned that it might be part of the drain of what little smarts I have we will give it another try a little later as I am fixen to leave to get it up and running.

Tom  I get the bio-diesel from a place here in town that makes it and I didn't have to do anything to start using it I just fillied the tank and check the oil and turn the key.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

getoverit

I've been noticing the time that our posts have been made...

Re: LT70 vs. LT40 on site.
« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:46:11 AM »

:o I just got to bed good at that time of the morning ;)

Looking forward to more pics CS !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom Sawyer

Any difference in price compared with regular diesel?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, I have been living overseas for about 6 years now and am a bit behind the times :-\

customsawyer

The last bio-diesel I got was at $2.45/gal and on that same day off road diesel was $2.46/gal this is after the sales tax is applied.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ElectricAl

CustomSawyer,

Are you using straight B100?

We are using B100 in our JD skidsteer and small farm tractor. It works great.
Our cost was $2.50/gal delivered in a 55 gallon drum. Not sure what the price was for regular off road that day, however road fuel was $3.25 :o

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

customsawyer

I don't know what kind of bio diesel it is as for b100.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ElectricAl

B100 is 100% Biodiesel, no fossil fuel.

The product we get is made from Soybeans.

Some fuel venders sell B2 or B20 which is 2% or 20% Bio and 98% or 80% fossil fuel.  These venders will just call the blend Biodiesel even though the biggest % is fossil fuel ???

Ask your vender what the actual % of Ag based fuel is blended in.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Norm

Al have you used it during the winter? I've not used it but others around here have complained it gels at a much higher temp than regular diesel. Of course these are farmers and we all know how much they like to complain. :D

Kelvin

Howdy!
You mentioned you were getting 1200 bd ft/sharpening on the LT-40 and 2,000 bd ft on the LT-70.  Is this total sharpenings or each time?  That would be amazing per sharpening.  I get 200 bd ft on my LT-40.  What type pitch and hook, set do you use on the LT-40?
Thanks
KElvin

customsawyer

The bio fuel I use is 100% bio fuel. I only started using it in April of this year so I haven't had to deal with any of the gelling.

Kelvin that is bf per sharpening and I run some mighty dirty logs but I do use a debarker. On the LT 40 I would get 3-5 sharpenings per blade. On the LT 70 I bought 200 blades with the mill and I'm just about to send some off for there second sharpening so I don't know how many sharpenings I will get per blade on the 70 as you are suposed to have longer blade life with the big band wheels. All of my blades are 10 degree I don't sharpen them myself as I spend most of my time sawing. If you are only getting 200 bf per sharpening your blade cost per ft would be mighty high. With the 70 I am hoping to get about the same number of sharpenings maybe even more per blade. Please keep in mind that these are just averages and sometimes they don't work this well and sometimes a little better.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!