iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally went and .....

Started by DKinWA, September 15, 2006, 06:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKinWA

joined the orange team.  I ordered my woodmizer LT15 monday morning and can't wait to pick it up.  The only problem is I have to wait till October 6th to pick it up at the Oregon store.  They would've glady shipped it to my home here in washington sooner, but it was a lot cheaper to drive the 2.5 hours to oregon to pick it up.  At 42, I'm starting to remember what it was like to wait for santa clause when I was a kid :D  I've already got four logs sitting in the dumptruck from a job I did monday evening.  I figured if I didn't have something to cut when I brought the mill home I'd be too tempted to start falling trees around our house.  Since we really like the shade around our house, I figured I'd start stockpiling logs so I wasn't tempted to do something I'd regret later.

JCam

Whooho  8) DK you're headed for a serious change in your life and those trees in the backyard may not survive. Don't worry it'll be OK. I took down five cottonwoods in my back yard out of frustration when TimberKing told me I'd have to wait another month for a 1220. Two days later I bought a '99 WoodMizer LT40G25 and couldn't be happier. Those cottonwoods have gone through it and we're going to use the wood to build a shelter on a friends land we use for ATV's and dirtbikes. Tomorrow we start on the pile of red pine logs over at my son's ten acres. After that we've got some soft maple to cut for another friend. Good luck!
Wood-Mizer LT40G25, a tractor, and a couple of chainsaws.

thecfarm

Good for you.You will have fun.What size motor did you get with it?Oct 6 is not that far away.Take some pictures of it before you get it covered with sawdust.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DKinWA

I thought about going with the diesel, but opted for the 15hp Kohler since I couldn't justify the extra $1,000.  I've been debating about buying a mill for some time since I'm always coming across good logs when I do land clearing jobs.  Most of the time the customer wants the place cleaned and ready to build on and I hate burning good saw logs.  Other times I'll cut it into firewood and give it to friends to burn in their stoves or camp fires.  I figure with the mill, I can mill during the winter when it's too wet to do dirt work and stay busy all year long.  Once I've milled enough for my needs, I'll try and sell a little here and there.  If I'm lucky, the only thing I'll loose is weight  8)

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill. Be very careful how many friends you let know that you have a mill cause they will tell other friends and they will tell other friends and pretty soon you have friends you didn't even know you had. Then you need a LT40 and then a LT70 and still wonder where all your friends are coming from. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Congradulations!   8)  The LT15 if a fine mill.  It'll take a yard stick to measure your smile!  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gus

Congratulation DK. Make sure you got plenty of logs for the big day ;D
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

DKinWA

Thanks guys.  I'm really looking forward to getting it set up so I can start making sawdust.  I've got some logs I can practice on and I need to start talking to some foresters I know about getting more logs once fire season is over.  With winter rains fast approaching, it's probably a good thing I don't have it yet or I wouldn't get all my late summer chores done  :D

PawNature

A good woman will let you keep it in the living room at the end of a hard day of sawing...
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Onthesauk

DK,

Where abouts in Western WA?  I've got 40 acres of timber.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DKinWA

Onthesauk, I'm in Elma, which is about 40 minutes west of Olympia.

PawNature, I thought good was letting me buy the mill in the first place  :D

I had to meet with a couple of customers today, but when I got home I started looking for the future milling spot.  I've got a nice flat spot picked out and it won't take me more than a couple of hours to clear the brush and get it good and level.  I even "need"  ;) to fall one nice D.Fir that's leaning where I'll build a small shed to put the mill in.  It's not a big tree, but it's got some nice dimensional lumber in it just waiting to get out.  I was even thinking I could get the spot all cleared and build the shed before the mill arived, but then I thought "duh!!!, why buy lumber when I can make my own when the mill arives" smiley_blush   I guess I could do the clearing and haul in some gravel so I'm working on something other than dirt and mud.

Onthesauk

Went through Elma yesterday on our way back from the coast.  Shouldn't be a problem getting trees down in your area, timber for 100 miles in any direction!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Frank_Pender

Good for you, DK.  It sounds as though you have the sadust bug for sure. 

I lost a student of mine, few weeks ago, in Elma.  He was the young man that had a tree fall on his power line company truck.  His wife was a student of mine as well.  If you knew him or know of him please let me know with a personal message.  thak you.  Welcome, again, to the world of maing sawdust.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!