iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nails in logs

Started by timberfaller390, November 14, 2008, 05:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Do yall take the time to dig out nails that you hit while milling or just put the log in the fire wood pile?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom

If it's a sorry log, I might burn it.  But, a lot of logs are of a value that it makes "denailing" worth while.  I've cut Cherry before that looked like swiss cheese when we finally got it onto the mill, and still hit nails.

You just have to make a judgement as to the value of the wood in the log.

ladylake

A easy way to get them out us to use a cordless drill and drill around the nail a ways down and pull out with a vice grips.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

backwoods sawyer

Thor, chisel, and a pair of channel locks for the good logs and the chainsaw for the low-grade logs.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

TF390,I pick up old wood chisels at the flea market to dig around, then have a pair of end nippers to lever the little boogers out.Idea of using a cordless drill sounds good I'll have to try it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

The good thing about a drill is you can drill down beside the nail and loosen up the tough ones.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gizmodust

I was cutting some black walnut for the YMCA.  Unfortunately, the most character came from the 6 nail that were well hidden.  But I was able to fine all of them with the metal detector... a new blade. :-\ :-\  Most of the time, I'll pull them and continue on.
Always liked wood with alot of character

woodmills1

I take out all nails I hit on both the cant and the board, I might have to plane it

I am with band miller  old dedicated chisel, and electricans dykes, most release that way.  I also have a BFH, an old east wing framing hammer, the claws will chunk out sections I cut with the mill chain saw.  I also keep a pair of channel locks, a vise grip and a crow bar for holdin, prying, and turning. And still there I some i just grab with the metavic and toss into burn pile.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ladylake

Buck  I've got one of those, does it work in white oak, ash and other hard woods. I'd think it would work good in softwood.   Steve

bandmiller2

Dr. Buck,no wonder I've never had any luck with that type of nail puller I always tried to use them like a slide hammer to pull nails.Next time I see one at the flea market I'll buy it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!