iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Determining blade hook angle on used bands

Started by newdesertfox, January 10, 2018, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newdesertfox

How do you tell what the hook angle is on a blade? I purchased a used woodmizer that came with 30 blades unmarked in boxes, I've spent plenty of time on google over the last 2 months trying to determine it but never had any luck, basically whenever a blade gets dull I end up putting new blades on at random and seeing if it cuts hardwood or softwoods better but its incredibly annoying. Is there any way to ID the blades hook angle before putting it on the sawmill or am I gonna be stuck shooting blind till I get them all resharpened and hopefully marked

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

Many of the brands stamp the blade info on the blade near the weld, or at least WM and Lennox do.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: newdesertfox on January 10, 2018, 12:13:48 PM
How do you tell what the hook angle is on a blade? I purchased a used woodmizer that came with 30 blades unmarked in boxes, I've spent plenty of time on google over the last 2 months trying to determine it but never had any luck, basically whenever a blade gets dull I end up putting new blades on at random and seeing if it cuts hardwood or softwoods better but its incredibly annoying. Is there any way to ID the blades hook angle before putting it on the sawmill or am I gonna be stuck shooting blind till I get them all resharpened and hopefully marked
For Woodmizer blades, you need "Blade gauge", part 065691, $15.00.  It's a hexagonal metal tool about 8x8" which has the teeth profile in each of 6 sides.  4/32, 9/29, 10/30, 7/34 are the ones I have plus two others. Does not have the 7/39 "turbo".

You hold it into the teeth and see which profile fits. Would also be good for checking grinding with non-CBN methods.
i'll put up a photo when the gallery is back up. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Never realized how much I use the Gallery.  :-\  I'll post a picture of that tool when the Gallery is available again. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newdesertfox

Thanks, I'll look to see if I can find anything stamped on them. That tool sounds super handy, does anyone have a link to it? I tried googling it and I went through WM's website but found nothing

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

newdesertfox

Thanks, from what I gathered you just have to call and order it as its not on their website. Found the WM markings near the welds, downside is the blades are so worn that 3 out of 4 I checked I can't read anything even after scrubbing the blade clean >.<

newdesertfox

one other question if anyone knows, I found more blades with numbers, these blades are pretty clean in comparison to all the other boxes of blades (more blades have a good amount of superficial rust) but their serials are all similar, either Wood-mizer 2YGY137 or YGY126, I read the manual but can't make much of these, guessing their 13's but the 7 at the end, or 126 has me lost. Also when you send in to resharp, do the blades always come back shiny or if they are rusty do they come back that way? they didn't specify which boxes were dull blades and which were sharp so Im only guessing if Im putting worn out blades on the machine

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: newdesertfox on January 10, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
Thanks, from what I gathered you just have to call and order it as its not on their website. Found the WM markings near the welds, downside is the blades are so worn that 3 out of 4 I checked I can't read anything even after scrubbing the blade clean >.<
If you have a login at Woodmizer you can click on "item lookup"  and enter that part number there.  it comes up as $15.00. Otherwise just phone in.  If you don't have a login you should get one as you have a WM mill.

newdesertfox

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2018, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: newdesertfox on January 10, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
If you have a login at Woodmizer you can click on "item lookup"  and enter that part number there.  it comes up as $15.00. Otherwise just phone in.  If you don't have a login you should get one as you have a WM mill.

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Kbeitz

There must be more than one URL for Woodmizer. I tried both the part
number 065691 and Blade gauge both and keeps coming up part not found.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 10, 2018, 04:01:22 PM
If it is the search box you tried, it won't come up there.  I only found it in the item lookup , which I needed to log in to see.  Even if I am logged in, it won't come up in the site search box.

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
If it is the search box you tried, it won't come up there.  I only found it in the item lookup , which I needed to log in to see.  Even if I am logged in, it won't come up in the site search box.

Thanks... I'm not a member so guess I wont get one...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

1938farmall

newdesertfox - you shouldn't have to "guess" which bands are sharp vs. which are not.  there are dozens of posts explaining what a sharp band looks like.
aka oldnorskie

newdesertfox

Quote from: 1938farmall on January 10, 2018, 05:31:43 PM
newdesertfox - you shouldn't have to "guess" which bands are sharp vs. which are not.  there are dozens of posts explaining what a sharp band looks like.
I figured it out today, as I said Im newer but what I didn't realize was the 3 boxes of blades I've been cutting with were all dull ones... so I've never worked with a sharp one to know haha, opened up another box that was clearly sharpened and it was like oh wow this is obvious...

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 10, 2018, 05:23:17 PM

I think you could get one if you called them. 

If you cant, and want one I can buy one on my next order, and send it to you.

p.s. you'll have to disable the Dremel Alarm on it.  :D

newdesertfox

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2018, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 10, 2018, 05:23:17 PM

I think you could get one if you called them. 

If you cant, and want one I can buy one on my next order, and send it to you.

p.s. you'll have to disable the Dremel Alarm on it.  :D
I found it once logged in on the parts lookup and ordered it, will know shortly if its the right thing, are there pictures of what it is? WM had no pictures

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2018, 01:26:32 PM
Never realized how much I use the Gallery.  :-\  I'll post a picture of that tool when the Gallery is available again.

It may not be you Magic but i was thinking you kept a piece of blades to lay on top of another blade to match the angle.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DR_Buck

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2018, 01:16:37 PM
For Woodmizer blades, you need "Blade gauge", part 065691, $15.00.  It's a hexagonal metal tool about 8x8" which has the teeth profile in each of 6 sides.  4/32, 9/29, 10/30, 7/34 are the ones I have plus two others. Does not have the 7/39 "turbo".

You hold it into the teeth and see which profile fits. Would also be good for checking grinding with non-CBN methods.
i'll put up a photo when the gallery is back up.

I'd like to see this.  The one I got from Wood-Mizer several years ago is plastic, on a key chain.   One template for each blade angle.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newdesertfox

Got exactly that in from WM using that product number, random question, what is the section marked 1 1/8   10? the tooth profile is very unusual

terrifictimbersllc

A blade I've never seen🎃🎃.

Maybe look it up on Woodmizer blades page.

Someone else will know.

Magicman

I have no idea either.  At the present time I only use two of the profiles; the 10° (white), and the 4° (green).  As my 10° blades are rejected out I will only have 4° and 7° Turbo's.  At that time I will have no need for the profile gauge.   ;D

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!