iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 way on 4" cylinder ? Small processor..

Started by bigblue12v, April 22, 2016, 09:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblue12v

What's the skinny on 6 way wedges on a smaller processor with a 4" cylinder? What all types of wood actually works in this scenario? I'm planning a processor build and want to use a 4" cylinder for the speed but want to be able to handle 16-18" diameter. This will require a 6 way at times or resplitting if using a 4 way. I'm not sure if I'd be better off to deal with some resplits on big logs or a slower cycle time of a 5" cylinder on every thing I put through it. I know, deal with the resplits right? This is the toughest call of my build plan so far.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Gearbox

6 way split is doable just need to time the split 2-4-6 as it goes in
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

xalexjx

i have a small built rite processor has a 4" i believe. I'd have to measure it to be sure, but that has a 4 and 6 way wedge and i dont have any problems splitting, iv ran some knarly stuff through it and very rarely does it slow down while splitting, (it has a 46hp kubota)
Logging and Processed Firewood

isaaccarlson

The wedges need to be offset to minimize the force needed to split.

r.man

I have often thought that multi wedges are not nearly offset enough for power savings. When you think about splitting wood by hand look how much easier the second split is once the block has been initially broken.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Hilltop366

OH logger

interesting and I liked the shaker idea but not sure if I could get used to that sound all day. sounds like German wooden clog dancers tearin it up ;D 8)
john

North River Energy

QuoteWhat's the skinny on 6 way wedges on a smaller processor with a 4" cylinder? What all types of wood actually works in this scenario? I'm planning a processor build and want to use a 4" cylinder for the speed but want to be able to handle 16-18" diameter. This will require a 6 way at times or resplitting if using a 4 way. I'm not sure if I'd be better off to deal with some resplits on big logs or a slower cycle time of a 5" cylinder on every thing I put through it. I know, deal with the resplits right?

Best answers depend on your market, and what you plan to use for raw materials.

My processor will handle a maximum diameter of 13", will split 2 or 6 way on the same wedge, using a 4" bore cylinder and auto cycle valve.
Six way on 13" leaves a fairly large split, at least for my market.
I have a few clients that want larger, 'overnighter' blocks, but that's a different product stream.
The 4" ram has no difficulty, but I'd suspect that if you go all the way to 16", you may have issues with the limits on readily available auto-cycle valves. They require a pressure differential, and the pressure requirements to split larger blocks might not be compatible with the operating parameters.
I use the processor to make time on the straight wood 13 and under. Anything oversize or funky goes through another machine. I don't want to slow production to pull oversize blocks back for resplit, so I'll spend the time on sorting to maximize the efficiency of each splitting apparatus.

At one time my processor had either a 5 or 6" ram. Downsizing to the 4" really upped production.

bigblue12v

Yea I know the splits need staggered. I honestly don't have experience with auto cycle valve. I've seen many smaller processor videos without them and I don't quite understand why they don't have them other than to cut costs and simplify things.
I know of the pressure differential but I was under the impression it could be manually overridden if need be?
Give me a bit and I'll post pics of the sizes of splits my customers typically like. Not needing bundling kindling but not wanting all overnighters either. A mix of sizes seems to be fairly acceptable to most. I have one or two customers that specifically want bigger pieces but it's not to the point that I would specifically work around that. They just pick the larger pieces from the pile as they load.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

bigblue12v

The size of splits on top is what's very acceptable. The ones on bottom I could probably push to most people but are a bit large for others. This round was 10" at one point and closer to 12" at another point so kind of oval. I split it twice squarely so as to mimick a 4 way wedge. Then I busted down one piece that was too large.

North River Energy

So if most of what you split will be in that 10-12" range, and assuming it's not all stringy, you should be fine shoving the blocks through a six-iron with a 4" ram. Try to find one with a larger than normal rod diameter.
If memory serves, I've got the auto-cycle set at 1200 and 2000 psi+/-, with main system relief around 2500.
Given that most systems like to stay under 3k, that leaves enough room for adjustment, without stressing the system.
Every so often it will kick out the first stage, usually when the fluid is cold, or when there's more than one knot preventing the block from 'flowing' past the wedge.

bigblue12v

Quote from: North River Energy on April 23, 2016, 08:09:04 PM
So if most of what you split will be in that 10-12" range, and assuming it's not all stringy, you should be fine shoving the blocks through a six-iron with a 4" ram. Try to find one with a larger than normal rod diameter.
If memory serves, I've got the auto-cycle set at 1200 and 2000 psi+/-, with main system relief around 2500.
Given that most systems like to stay under 3k, that leaves enough room for adjustment, without stressing the system.
Every so often it will kick out the first stage, usually when the fluid is cold, or when there's more than one knot preventing the block from 'flowing' past the wedge.

I'd say I could do up to 14" with a 6 way and that would be OK. The machine could be built to handle up to say 18-20" logs as some people like larger splits if their stove is big enough. It seems to be a convenience and ergonomics thing, some people don't mind heavy pieces but others want something that's really easy to pick up and handle.

Larger logs can still get processed for outside wood boiler wood. I've not sold to anyone with a boiler yet but I have one and will eventually burn it all.

bigblue12v

Here's a " pie chart " I just drew up. I know most 6 way wedges aren't necessarily laid out like this with a common center making each split identical (discussion on the how and why of this?)
This gives a size representation of 10", 12" and 14" diameter rounds split 6 equal ways. 10" is a bit smallish, 12" is great and I think 14" is still acceptable. At 10" and less I think it would be time to switch to 4 way.

blackfoot griz

I used a 4" cylinder on my processor and it will push under 16" diameter blocks through a six way knife. It often kicks down the two  stage pump for a second or so, but picks right back up. I run an auto cycle valve and have not turned it up. You can order an auto cycle valve from Prince and they will up the pressure settings from the factory.

I built a 8-way knife and this regularly kicked down the pump and struggled with the larger stuff.

bigblue12v

Thanks for the info Blackfoot, what kinds of wood do you run through yours? Or what gives you the most trouble besides knotty stuff?

blackfoot griz

I run Douglas Fir and Lodgepole pine...not much hardwood here in MT.
I still plan on cranking up the autocycle valve, but haven't got to it yet.

bigblue12v

Thanks for the info. I need to handle lots of hardwood, maple and poplar are OK.

Thank You Sponsors!