iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wm outer roller jams and yanks blade guide, anyone besides me?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, June 16, 2010, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Wondering if others have this problem and what you do about it.  Occasionally, on engaging the blade, the outer roller on the blade guide arm on my LT40 jams with debris and the force of the blade yanks the blade guide arm as far as it can, sometimes all the way out of the rollers.  I've taken to carrying 3/8 hex bolts 1-1/4 inch long, hanging them loose in the stop bolt hole, using these like a shear pin.  No problem with clearance to bed as the bolts tend to push up and fall back down going over bed rails at 1".  This annoying surprise happens both when the blade guide is fairly loose, as well as when it's perfectly adjusted and tight on the rollers and drive chain & motor.  I've minimized it by being as careful as I can about keeping the roller clean and using as little water as necessary.   I've also opened the clearance to the ceramic guide on the outer roller to 15 thousandths.    But some situations seem to be more risky than others and come up without warning, when wet stringy debris accumulates.    Thinking of stepping up to a 7/16 or 1/2 inch stop bolt to try to keep the arm in the rollers at all costs.  This has cost me a number of blades,  and it sure isn't good for arm and blade alignment.   Anyone else fighting this
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

They ( WM) have made a steel tab on the blade guide arm mount bracket so the blade guide arm will not come out unless you remove the bracket. If your blade guide arm will move with out the motor turning you need to adjust the blade guide arm rollers.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

That has happened to me a couple of times.
The latest was early this spring as posted in the following thread. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42947.0.html
It was caused by a wad of sawdust gathering between the blade and the roller and it just wouldn't go through.
Do you have the high-performance blade guide rollers?
I know after I had this last episode, I was considering going back to the standard blade guide rollers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Chuck White on June 16, 2010, 09:16:04 PM
That has happened to me a couple of times.
The latest was early this spring as posted in the following thread. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42947.0.html
It was caused by a wad of sawdust gathering between the blade and the roller and it just wouldn't go through.
Do you have the high-performance blade guide rollers?
I know after I had this last episode, I was considering going back to the standard blade guide rollers!

Mill is 2001, rollers are original and good condition, don't know if high performance or not.  They have grease zerks on them.  It is not hard to see how something of any size at all could wedge the blade in the roller.   When it happens to me there is always plenty of wet stringy stuff around the roller.  My guide bar does not have a tab on it.  The first time it happened the bar stock of the guide bent itself down over the bottom of the stop bolt. Could look at bending it back or welding something on at the right place.   Wondering why others not having the problem.  Seems the worst when it happens with the guide wide open.  Everything adjusted and aligned now with rollers tight no play and can't move the guide arm manually without turning the guide arm motor, and the teeth of the motor gear don't slip in the chain.   Trying to keep everything really clean including exhaust chute teeth so less makes it around the other side.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Mill is 2001, rollers are original and good condition, don't know if high performance or not.  They have grease zerks on them.  It is not hard to see how something of any size at all could wedge the blade in the roller.   When it happens to me there is always plenty of wet stringy stuff around the roller.  My guide bar does not have a tab on it.  The first time it happened the bar stock of the guide bent itself down over the bottom of the stop bolt. Could look at bending it back or welding something on at the right place.   Wondering why others not having the problem.  Seems the worst when it happens with the guide wide open.  Everything adjusted and aligned now with rollers tight no play and can't move the guide arm manually without turning the guide arm motor, and the teeth of the motor gear don't slip in the chain.   Trying to keep everything really clean including exhaust chute teeth so less makes it around the other side.

If you have the "high performance" blade guide rollers, there would be a ceramic disc or another similar material under the blade and the clearance between the blade and the disc would only be about 1/8".

You could put a couple of washers on the stop bolt, which would make the head of the bolt extend further down.
Another fix would be to weld a nut or other piece of material on top of the stop arm/brace.  Just make sure that you have clearance under the blade sheild throughout the full travel (in and out) of the blade guide.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Chuck White on June 17, 2010, 10:09:35 AM
If you have the "high performance" blade guide rollers, there would be a ceramic disc or another similar material under the blade and the clearance between the blade and the disc would only be about 1/8".  

Yes I've got the ceramic guides and the spec is 8-10 thousandth clearance.  The outer one is 15 thousandths. This tight clearance is why the grabbing is occurring.   If you're saying open them up to 1/8" then I can see that will pretty well eliminate this problem.  Is that what people are doing and how does it affect cutting performance?  

Chuck White

I'm not saying to adjust them to 1/8", but mine are more than 8-10 thousandths, but they're still pretty close to the blade.

Check with Wood-Mizer.  Maybe putting a chip deflector on the outer roller, similar to the one that's on the inner roller!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Chuck White on June 17, 2010, 06:27:57 PM
I'm not saying to adjust them to 1/8", but mine are more than 8-10 thousandths, but they're still pretty close to the blade.

Check with Wood-Mizer.  Maybe putting a chip deflector on the outer roller, similar to the one that's on the inner roller!

That's a great idea.

Thank You Sponsors!