iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A LT28 question

Started by Qweaver, June 21, 2010, 07:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

When I was re-installing the axle on my LT28,  I noticed that the entire frame of the trailer assembly was out of square with the frame of  the saw...way out!  I'd guess 5 to 8 deg.  Is this on purpose or just a mistake?  I've built hundreds of trailers and never found a reason to build one with the axles at anything but perpendicular to the frame.  The trailer will still tow OK...it'll just be crabbing down the road.   I can't believe that there would be enough slack in the bolt holes to let the frame move that far.  I'm going to check today.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ljmathias

It's my understanding that it's out of square on purpose- something to do with how it tracks behind a truck.  Mine is the same way- not to worry.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ronwood

quinton,

It is slightly angled so it will pull centered behind the pulling vehicle. Not to worry.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Don K

True. WM builds them catawaumpus on purpose.  ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

terrifictimbersllc

my 2001 lt40 got that problem too
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bibbyman

It's because the hitch is mounted on the main beam and the main beam is way off to one side.  If the axles were square to the beam then the mill would be way off to one side.  Probably if you measure from the hub of one wheel to the ball socket on the hitch and then measure the distance on the other side, they'd come out the same.  I'm just guessing,  I've never actually done this.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

When I looked at my mill before buying, that was the first thing that I noticed.  I asked if it had been wrecked or something.  The seller had never noticed it.  If it wasn't designed that way, you would be running folks off of the road as you met them.    :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 21, 2010, 06:31:03 PM
Probably if you measure from the hub of one wheel to the ball socket on the hitch and then measure the distance on the other side, they'd come out the same.

Yep, they do. (it's that DanG engineer gene I inherited that compels me to do stuff like this.)

;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

etkoehn

That seems to make sense. On some hay equipment the hitch actually moves so you have field mode and road mode. For the fields it will track way over to one side and for the road it does right behind whatever is pulling it
Farm Boy

ljmathias

Well, I've got a different mode on my WM now- it's called just-stand-there-and-cut mode: no trailering and no backing up problems.  Makes things a lot simpler but probably not as productive.  Still got a bunch of pecan and pine to cut so maybe today's cold wave will give me incentive to get 'er done...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Piston

Queaver,
Do you know if you can get extensions for your LT28?  I was looking on the website and it isn't clear?  I'm interested in the LT28 as well but bed extensions are mandatory for me.  How do you like it over your LT 15?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Brucer

The 2009 catalogue says that the bed extensions are not available for the LT28. On the other hand, photos show the rails on the LT28 have extension alignment holes bored in the ends. This may be just because the basic frame is the same for all mills.

I would ask WM directly, and if they say "no", ask for specifics. I added an option on my hydraulic mill that "is only available on the Super Hydraulic". ???
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Piston

I emailed WM and got a reponse...
Actually, I didn't get a response for a week now, but I emailed Martyparsons and he got back to me right away with the info I requested.    8)

LT28 is available with the Diesel engine 18 hp.
The Power feed is standard. This so you do not need to push the saw head.
Yes you can add bed extensions to the LT28 you can add 6', 12' or 24 '. You asked about 40" you will need to add the 24' bed would give you 45' cutting length. The bed section comes with all hardware to install and the power feed will work also.
Thanks for contacting us.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!