iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing dried wood

Started by RoyBoy, May 19, 2011, 07:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyBoy

Hi ..  I am new to sawing and storing wood...   allso new to this forum.

My question is..  After drying can boards be store standing up?????

It would be much easier for me to find the boards I need in this way..

Thanks for any help!!!

RoyBoy

RoyBoy

Den Socling

Welcome to the forum. There is nothing wrong with standing boards on end.

Fil-Dill

Can they be banded together without stickers after they are dry,for storage. The moisture content is 6-8%.
EZ boardwalk 40

thecfarm

RoyBoy,welcome to the forum. What have you got for a mill? What kind of wood you sawing? What are you making?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jim king

It is normal here to air dry and store wood standing up.  The result is very little degrade.  The only problem is flipping the boards bottom to top every couple of days for the first 10 days or so until they are dry.  They are heavy.

RoyBoy

Hi..
Thanks for the replies...

I rented a Woodmizer and most of my timber is white oak...  I did cut some red oak and ash...

It has been stickered and drying for 2 to 3 years..   I use most of it for furniture ...

I will try standing some on end now that it is dry...

Thanks again...

RoyBoy
RoyBoy

Magicman

Welcome RoyBoy, to the Forestry Forum, and good luck with your project.  Standing is good, but flip them occasionally.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

I store a good portion of my inventory in vertical racks.  In my instance, I'm selling furniture grade quartersawn oak and customers like to be able to view the grain and ray fleck patterns on each board (as well as looking at how straight they are and any defects).

Vertical storage makes it easy for them to pull the board, view it, and either set it aside for purchase or put it back into the rack.  Plus, I don't have to constantly re-straighten out stacks of lumber after customers have gone through them.

It also makes it easier for me to view the boards and photograph them for potential customers.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!