iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Surplus Dilemma - Pond Storage?

Started by twin_lakes, February 22, 2016, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin_lakes

I have several good sized parcels of mature hardwoods that include lots of dead standing ash.  Most of the trees are 18-24" a few dozen above 30".  I would estimate the total tree count to be well over 100+.  Recently they have been coming down due to wind, and upon inspection it looks like decay and bugs are really starting to take their toll.  Most of the logs are solid but are snapping off 4-6' off the ground at a weak point.

I eventually want to use everything I can for siding, paneling, and timbers, along with the usual projects, but there is no way I can mill it all right now.  I can anchor seal and stack, which sounds like the better bet as opposed to sawing cants, but I'm also wondering about storing in a pond.  I have a 6 acre lake on the property, and I'm wondering if that would be a viable storage option.  Do you think that is a good idea, or is there a better alternative to extend the log 'shelf life'?  I've read several references to storing logs in ponds on here but haven't been able to find anything specific.  All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.   :P
Woodland HM126, Stihl 270, Ford 641 Workmaster

Magicman

I have sawn many pond stored logs with no issues except mud.  A pressure washer is a good thing.
QuoteMost of the logs are solid but are snapping off 4-6' off the ground at a weak point
I guess that I am wondering about this statement.  If they are solid, they should not be breaking off??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

They grow in wet areas around here so the bottom few feet gets rotten then they bust off.

thechknhwk

You're about two hrs away if you're interested in getting some sawed up on site.

4x4American

I think that either underwater or keep the logs under sprinklers is your best bet, IMO.  Mill pond sounds like a good idea but I don't know about if it'll sink or swim, so might be fun finding them for years to come.
Boy, back in my day..

twin_lakes

Thanks for all of the replies guys!  Most of the trees that have come down have had some sort of rot or bugs in the stump, and in the past few months we've had a handful of wind storms with 50+ MPH winds (last week we hit 70 mph).  Most of the logs I've cut into have been solid above where they broke off, but I do think my time is limited. I'm going to get something worked out to get them in and out of the lake and try it out.  Just didn't want to experiment if others already knew it was a bad idea.

When I do pull them out to mill, after giving them a bath with a power washer, how long should I let them dry before I mill them?
Woodland HM126, Stihl 270, Ford 641 Workmaster

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LittleJohn

Quote from: twin_lakes on February 23, 2016, 08:17:30 AM
...When I do pull them out to mill, after giving them a bath with a power washer, how long should I let them dry before I mill them?
I agree with MM, saw them right up.

:DJust remember it might take a bit longer to get them dry enough to install after soaking them in a lake  ;)

DMcCoy

Japan has several million board feet stored underwater for future use, conifers, not sure how hardwood would do but probably ok for a while.

Thank You Sponsors!