iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dexter sawmill filer for circular saws

Started by Old Iron nut, February 16, 2018, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Iron nut

Anyone out there have one of these guides (filing units)? I would like to know if there are any likes or dislikes about this tool. (Easy set up and operation) Thanks in advance, Old Iron nut.

Ron Wenrich

I used one for awhile.  They're easy to set up.  Once you have them adjusted to your saw, they are simple to move from one tooth to the next. 

The only drawback I had was with the file.  It was a diamond file, but it wasn't aggressive enough take off enough metal in a short amount of time.  If the tooth was damaged, I hand filed with a regular mill bastard file to get the tooth in decent shape for sawing.  Same goes if the saw gets too dull before a sharpening.  That can happen in really hard wood or dirty logs.  You have to take off quite a bit of metal to get to a sharp tooth.  The mill bastard didn't seem to work as well in the file guide. 

The up side is that the saw is in really good condition after the use of the Dexter.  The down side is that it takes more time than hand filing.  But, so does most of the more advanced sharpeners.  I found the Dexter to leave a better saw than a sharpening with any grinder. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

I agree completely with Ron. The Dexter file guide will hold the hook angle and file  straight across consistently. Payne saws bought the remaining stock of sawmill tool and service. I don't know who actually made the frames for these tools but they are the ones to call.

whitepine2

I have used one for 25-30 years,got it from Chase Saw Mill in Orange from Dexter himself. I enjoy using this tool as every tooth is the same and near as good as new bits. Yes you gotta have a good file and take some time to set up but need to do this but once,don't think you  can get any better hand tool to do the job at least I've not found any.   

Thank You Sponsors!