iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to know before transporting logs

Started by yukon cornelius, March 02, 2016, 10:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I am wanting to find some logs of different varieties to saw and build with. I am wondering what restrictions if any there. I am thinking pine,cypress, spruce and such. I am aware of issues with transporting ash because of ash borer but are their any others?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mrector

There is another with black walnut. The thousand  canker disease
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

starmac

I am thinking it is a state or regional thing, some states you can not transport even firewood across the line. I know some provinces of Canada any wood with the bark on can not be brought across the line.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

terrifictimbersllc

Quarantine rules they're called.   Federal it's the USDA.  States, their departments of agriculture or environmental protection.  Usually centered around a particular pest such as emerald ash borer or asian longhorned beetle and the particular tree species they might be in.

Moving firewood is more restrictive than moving logs because of usually being mixed species in smaller pieces and more difficult to identify, and with the presence of bark.  Probably more difficult to identify for both the transporter and enforcement officials.   So a broader and more restrictive rule.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I believe the restriction in this area is "wood (be it firewood or sawlogs) cannot be moved more than 50 miles!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Shotgun

Yukon,

You might want to contact the Missouri Dept. of Agriculture, and check with the Plant Pest Control Section (573-751-5505), and ask them about any pertinent regulations that pertain to hauling logs.  They should have an answer.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

yukon cornelius

Good idea shotgun. That should give me the most specific answers.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

Yes,check. I own land in two counties,There was some sort of regulation in Franklin County about white pine logs. But none in Kennebec. The logs was being cut in Frankin and put onto a forwarder and moved into Kennebec. A simple phone call and all set.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!