iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Iowa then Las Vegas

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 20, 2003, 07:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Feb 6, 2003. My brother Chris and I took off from Maryland in his Ford F350 pulling his 3-axle trailer. Destination, Iowa, southwest Iowa, to buy a 1961 International Harvester 2-MH Corn Picker. 1131 miles from home according to Map Quest. I am sure we could have found one closer but the road trip is half the fun. We left after work Thursday and drove for 6 hours, spent the night at the Shenandoah Truck Stop. Woke up at 7am to a couple of inches of snow but driving conditions were fine. Made it to Coin Iowa the next evening around 9pm. Saturday morning we met Bob, the owner, and looked over the corn picker. Our first reaction was to cut and run. There was nothing wrong with the picker; it is probably in better condition than most of its type. It just looked like too much to get off the tractor and on the truck. Well Bob fired up the M, his grand father had bought it new, pulled it around to the yard, engaged the PTO, eased out the clutch and with a little nudging it started spinning.  My first thought was "Man, this thing really works", it spit out one last petrified ear of corn and we were sold. 8 hours later, after taking 1 coffee break and having some of Bob's mother's delicious cookies we were pulling out of the yard all smiles corn picker in tow. As we crossed the Mississippi River "Mississippi Queen" was on the radio. We retraced our route back to Maryland with not one problem.
Unhooked the trailer, threw a tarp over it and next morning headed for Las Vegas.
 Personal note, I would rather drive back and forth across the country retrieving old farm equipment than spend any more time in Las Vegas. I am glad I went, did not loose too much but everything there is fake, made up and just gaudy. I prefer things simple and real.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Welcome back. I wuz wondering what happened to ya. Turns out, yer wanderin' wuz causin' my wonderin'. ::)  Sounds like you had a great time traveling. I love to do that, too, but don't seem to get much time for it, any more. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

Weekend_Sawyer,

If you're in need of an old IH silage chopper,  I know aguy that has three or four his wife would like for him to sell :-[

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for the warm welcome back DanG, I got a note from Jeff wondering if i fell off of the face of the earth but I was just runnin around on top of it!

I almost had a fatburger there in vegas but I don't know where I would put a pound of ground beef. I do know where it would go! We went to the Harley Davidson Cafe instead, they have a bunch of bikes hanging from an overhead chain that run around the place. My table was next to an 03 Road King but it wasn't as pretty as mine.

Noble I wish I would have known that I was that near you, We don't keep animals around here anymore, just my brothers! So, tho I hate to turn it down, I just don't nead one. Thank's for thinking of me!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ElectricAl

Weekend_sawyer,

Next time you go on a trip, check the member map.

You probably went by some members and could have honked and waved.

If you ZOOMED down I-80 in Iowa, you were 30 miles south of us.

We are not here to hold you up from conquering the trip in record time, but if you had a problem on the road, you have plenty of guys and gals from the Forestry Forum to lend a hand. Each sawyer has a network of friends to call on. ;D

You never know when you're going to drop a valve, strip a ring gear, or break a spindle on the trailer. :o

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

crosscut

great idea electric al 4 miles from disney here always willing to help a friend in need. 8)

Haytrader

crosscut,

You better be careful tellin us that you are close to Disney. Why some may want room and board..............
 :D  :D  :D
Haytrader

WV_hillbilly

Weekend_sawyer

Did you take I-70 or I -470 when you crossed into Ohio? I only live 3 miles from 470 at the first exit in Ohio.It's a small world isn't it .
Hillbilly

ADfields

Weekend_Sawyer, I'm with you on Vegas!!   I could not get out of that place quick enough last time we had to go on business.   It is kinda fun to sit in the Vinishion by the canal and in the courtyard at 5:30am with your wife thow ;D had the hole place to our self till about 6:30.   It's not worth the trip but if you are there aney how it's shure worth getting out of bed for!!  

The wife and I spent a week (6 days) in San Francisco and had a great time on less money than we spent in 2 crapy days in Vegas and thats with NO gambling money counted in!!!   Thay know 1001 ways how to get you away from your hard earned cash in that town!
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!