iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer minerals

Started by braucher, February 14, 2018, 07:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braucher

It's time for minerals what do you guy's use.
I use 50# stock salt , 50#Di-calcium-phosphate , 100 # trace mineral , 3 boxes of vanilla pudding mix well .
Prep sight and add two large coffee cans full mix with dirt , refresh monthly. Cost is about 50 dollars
braucher

Texas Ranger

We put out full cattle blocks, they eventually melt into the sand, and the deer hollow out the place for years.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

My manufacturer past away. I'm not sure if his recipe died with him or not. Ill have to ask my sister.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DelawhereJoe

I'll put out 1 50lb salt block and 1 50lb mineral block, most of the time the plain salt block is long gone before they touch the mineral block.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ToddsPoint

I've keep a mineral block in the woods by my house and have for 20 yrs.  Every deer in the township knows about it.  The bucks start coming as soon as they shed their antlers.  Heavy activity during the summer when the bucks are growing antlers.  By hunting season, they rarely hit the block.  It would be a waste of time hunting over a salt block in my area.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

thecfarm

I have used both,plain salt and the mineral 50# blocks. The mineral one does not stick out like a sore thumb in the summer time. That white one really shows up.
Lots of talk on the archery forums about this mix. Interesting. I don't hunt,but enjoy feeding the deer and seeing them on my land.
I always used the blocks. Easy,just pay $6-7 dollars and put it out. But never heard of this mix either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

braucher

The salt attracts and they need it when buds come out , while after salt they get minerals . The Di-cal is what makes the antlers they store it in there bones then pulled out for antlers .braucher

DMcCoy

I can't quite tell if you guys are wanting deer to hunt or just help with their diet and view them.
We grow a plant here that is pretty much cat nip for deer.  They will crawl under a 18" greenhouse sidewall and wind their way through the nursery and eat it to the ground while ignoring strawberries and kinnickinnick, favorite edible plants.  We even had a doe digging through the dump stack to eat the dried leaves in broad day light.   Viola hederacea or Australian violet.  Dark green kidney been shaped leaves with white and purple flowers.  A fast growing ground cover used in ornamental baskets. 

Our Top Ten Favorite Ground Covers | Maas Nursery

braucher

I am trying to keep them healthy because I don't feed in the winter .
I do put out summer and fall food plots braucher

thecfarm

This guy just enjoys watching them. I use to snowshoe in to see if they was here and around the spring. I built in thier backyard. Yes,my stepson hunts here,brings a bunch with him. But no one has ever even shot at a deer here. I may have 20-25 here now,come hunting season,they are gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

Quote from: DMcCoy on February 16, 2018, 08:52:33 AM
I can't quite tell if you guys are wanting deer to hunt or just help with their diet and view them.
We grow a plant here that is pretty much cat nip for deer.  They will crawl under a 18" greenhouse sidewall and wind their way through the nursery and eat it to the ground while ignoring strawberries and kinnickinnick, favorite edible plants.  We even had a doe digging through the dump stack to eat the dried leaves in broad day light.   Viola hederacea or Australian violet.  Dark green kidney been shaped leaves with white and purple flowers.  A fast growing ground cover used in ornamental baskets. 

Our Top Ten Favorite Ground Covers | Maas Nursery

What zones do they grow in?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DMcCoy

Rated at zone 9-11.  I will check a little later but I think it will come back from the roots much lower than that say around 5-10 F.  After watching that doe paw through the dump stack I think you could grow it in summer, harvest and dry the leaves and use that. 

braucher

Does anyone use Trophy rock minerals .
They are in my spots hot and heavy it's like crack for deer

Thank You Sponsors!