iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to pick a sharpener

Started by logfarmer, September 23, 2010, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logfarmer

Hi All,
The trailer package for the LM 2000 shipped yesterday and a box of Woddmizer 7  degree blades is on the way that leaves 25 or so used Timberking blades that came with the mill to sharpen somewhere. The Kootenay Sawyer was kind enough to tell me where he sharpens his blades in Canada but that sounds like extra problems due to the border. I called MSG industries in Spokane the maker of a band mill who sharpens blades for $9 each. He said he ussually just sharpens the blades and does not set them as most customers do not want the set. I explaned that these blades had only ever been sharpened since the owner did it himself and does not have a tooth setter.  He said he uses a dyno setter which pushes on the top of the tooth and may break it. It just sounds like he dosent want to set the teeth unless forced to do it.
I have called Cooks $17 per blade to sharpen and ship and Timberking $15 per blade to sharpen and ship new blades are $20 each from Woodmizer.
Maybe the cooks cats claw setter is agood deal at $345 we allready have the Norwood sharpener.
Anyone have an idea of a good local place near Spokane Washington.
Martin
Norwod LM 2000 23hp Briggs on trailer, Kubota BX22, Kubota RTV 900, 1948 GMC flatbed dump, 73 Chev 3/4 4x4 plow truck

Jeff

Wood-Mizer has a Re-sharp in Oregon.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

logfarmer

What I need is a place to sharpen the 25 or so Timberking blades that are coming with the LM 2000 mill.
I called Woodmizer Portland and they will sharpen only their own blades so when the 15 are dull they could be sent to Portland but not the Timberking blades.
Martin
Norwod LM 2000 23hp Briggs on trailer, Kubota BX22, Kubota RTV 900, 1948 GMC flatbed dump, 73 Chev 3/4 4x4 plow truck

metljakt

logfarmer:  Let me try to track down Steve Funk's number in Coeur d'Alane.  He's the guy that turned me on to MSG Industries.  He's a heck of a nice guy.  He'd probably let you use his sharpener. 

Metljakt

logfarmer

:-\  Went to pick up the blades tonight to send them off to be sharpened there were only 11 not 20 or 30.  So its a good thing there are 15 blades coming from Woodmizer.
Martin

redbeard

Call Roy in Idaho  Sullfolk Mach. ,  He can help you with re-sharp He is not to far from spokane

PHONE NUMBER REMOVED USE PM. FORUM RULES PREVENT POSTING OTHER PEOPLES CONTACT INFORMATION
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

johncinquo

I am not sure where you got $17 to sharpen and ship a blade from Cooks.  They charge $6.50 to $7.50 per blade.  They sharpen, clean, and set the blades.  Shipping is extra, so maybe you asked how much for 1 blade, and it was 7 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping.  A whole box of 10 is only $14 for shipping, so less than $8 each for the entire cost when you are shipping more of them. 

Just thought I'd mention that, really threw me for a loop trying to figure that pricing out.    No place near me sets them, so I gave Cooks a call and was pleasantly surprised at the pricing. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

logfarmer

I am allmost to the left coast so maybe the shiping is more here, or the more probable is that I misunderstood them. Ill call again and see what I missed.
Thanks
Martin

Thank You Sponsors!