iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drive sprocket on LT-40 misaligned

Started by Jjoness4, January 14, 2017, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

Got my new LT-40 home and sawed with it for about an hour today.  When returning the head  heard an unusual noise coming from the head feed drive sprocket and it looks like it is misaligned with the chain.  The sprocket allen  screws seem tight.  The chain tension appears within spec. but it seems tight to me.
Any thoughts?
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Tree Dan

some of us lt 40 owners including myself had that sproket come loose.
I would have another good look at it, the sproket could have moved to the side a bit.
They do recomend a bit of Loc-tite on that set screw after the sproket is in the correct position.
I think there should be a setting that you can meassure from the main beam to the center of the sproket , maybe a lt40 member will post this.
Have fun sawing when you get back at it ;D

Dan
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Ga Mtn Man

My LT40 did the same thing when I first got it.  The cam roller that tensions the chain around the sprocket was not in the correct position, causing the chain to ride off the roller when gigging back.  Moving one or two of the spacer washers on the cam roller to shift the roller's position slightly fixed the problem.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jjoness4

Quote from: Tree Dan on January 14, 2017, 09:18:41 PM
some of us lt 40 owners including myself had that sproket come loose.
I would have another good look at it, the sproket could have moved to the side a bit.
They do recomend a bit of Loc-tite on that set screw after the sproket is in the correct position.
I think there should be a setting that you can meassure from the main beam to the center of the sproket , maybe a lt40 member will post this.
Have fun sawing when you get back at it ;D

Dan

It would seem that this being a fairly common problem that this clearance spec would be well defined.  I will take a close look at that sprocket position.  Wonder if WM puts loc-tite on that set screw at the factory?  Thanks for you response.

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 14, 2017, 09:20:02 PM
My LT40 did the same thing when I first got it.  The cam roller that tensions the chain around the sprocket was not in the correct position, causing the chain to ride off the roller when gigging back.  Moving one or two of the spacer washers on the cam roller to shift the roller's position slightly fixed the problem.
I wondered about all those spacer washers.  Manual did not give any help as to possibly moving some on the other side of the cam roller.  Thanks for your help.

YellowHammer

It's important to keep the drive sprocket aligned reasonably well with the center of the chain, or you'll hear a clacking noise as the sprocket teeth rub on the inside links to the chain. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

I would be putting a split collier on both sides of the sprockets.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MartyParsons

Hello,
No roam for a split collier.
   WM has been using this assembly for many years. Maintenance is required to keep the belt tight and the pulley tight on the shaft. The 3/8 bolts that hold it to the C frame are slotted and the assembly can be moved if needed. There are also shims on the cam idle bearing that could be changed, I have never needed to do this.
I would start by setting up the mill, with the engine off and the key off push the saw head forward. You may remove the battery cover and the middle track oilier. Watch how the chain travels on the idler pulley. If it rides in the center of the cam bearing one way then tracks differently when you push the saw had back you may need to loosen the 3/8 bolts and turn the assembly to help with the tracking of the chain.
I the manual it states that the chain should be 7 " to 8" from the top rail to the chain. This should give you an idea what the tension of the power feed chain is. Adjustment is made at the rear of the frame.

I hope this helps. Ask more questions if needed.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kbeitz

No room for split collars then I would go with split sprockets.
They don't come loose.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

I had this same problem , sorta, on my '94 lt40. The sprocket is welded on the shaft and the other end has  a belt pulley that was loosening  letting the whole shaft slide in the bearings. The key came out and it quit. The chain had rubbed marks all the way down the mill when I figured it out.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Tree Dan

Quote from: paul case on January 15, 2017, 03:55:43 PM
I had this same problem , sorta, on my '94 lt40. The sprocket is welded on the shaft and the other end has  a belt pulley that was loosening  letting the whole shaft slide in the bearings. The key came out and it quit. The chain had rubbed marks all the way down the mill when I figured it out.

Paul I think that would be the sproket that made the marks on the main mill beam.
I had the same marks, right to the bare metal of a mill with under 100 hrs on it.
Funny thing im starting notice the drive slowing down right in the middle of the bed.
I do have loc-tite on that set screw...its got me thinking now, I better take a look at it in the morning.

PC
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Jjoness4

Problem fixed.  It was the set screws on the sprocket.  One was partially tight and the other was loose as could be.  This was with 2 hours on the mill.  Just not tight from the factory. The sprocket was moving toward the rail about 3/16".  Didn't have any loc-tite but will get some tomorrow and fix more permanently.  Thanks for all your responses.  Check your set screws!!!!  As Marty says this is a maintenance checkpoint.

paul case

I don't think it could possibly be the sprocket since the roller chain wraps around the sprocket the chain is closest to the mill box beam. Besides that  the marks where the paint is rubbed off are at each pin on the chain and they mark up and down 2'' or more.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Tree Dan

Quote from: Jjoness4 on January 15, 2017, 07:58:19 PM
Problem fixed.  It was the set screws on the sprocket.  One was partially tight and the other was loose as could be.  This was with 2 hours on the mill.  Just not tight from the factory. The sprocket was moving toward the rail about 3/16".  Didn't have any loc-tite but will get some tomorrow and fix more permanently.  Thanks for all your responses.  Check your set screws!!!!  As Marty says this is a maintenance checkpoint.

2 hrs on a new machine should not imo need stuff like that checked
Anyway, remember I put loc-tite on my set screw, and i got it as tight as i could without striping it.
One other thing there are different strengths of loctite
I remember there is one that you need to heat with a torch if you ever need to take it apart.
Glad you got it fixed up, just keep your eye on it

Kbeitz

Does the sprockets have key-ways ? Or only set-screws ?
A trick you can use is to double up on the set-screws.
One on top of the other.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

goose63

Dont use the Red Loc tite but use the Blue Loc Tite the Rsd is a forever thing. Dont ask me how I know   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jjoness4

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2017, 06:01:23 AM
Dose the sprockets have key-ways ? Or only set-screws ?
A trick you can use is to double up on the set-screws.
One on top of the other.

Kbeitz
I worked in the defense industry (military high explosives) for 44 years.  We in fact used your suggestion for equipment that could not lose nuts, bolts, screws into the highly sensitive product.  When we could not wire lace we double nutted and put set screws on top of set screws with Red loc-tite (or the military version).

Quote from: goose63 on January 16, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
Dont use the Red Loc tite but use the Blue Loc Tite the Rsd is a forever thing. Dont ask me how I know   

I know the same way you do!!!

KirkD

Is there room for an allen head and safety wire?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Jeff

You should absolutely be checking for lose bolts or parts or any number of conditions on not only new equipment, but any equipment you run. Just part of being a good operator. Having been in the seat of more than one new commercial circle mill, I can tell you they are far more prone to little maintenance issues than one broke in.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

YellowHammer

Red Loctite can be removed with elevated temperatures. 
Just a little heat will break it down, about 325°F, easily done with light hit with a propane torch.  It'll melt, crystalize, and come apart no problem.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

paul case

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 16, 2017, 08:59:53 PM
Red Loctite can be removed with elevated temperatures. 
Just a little heat will break it down, about 325°F, easily done with light hit with a propane torch.  It'll melt, crystalize, and come apart no problem.

x2

PC
pc

Jjoness4

Quote from: KirkD on January 16, 2017, 07:52:42 PM
Is there room for an allen head and safety wire?

No.  Wire lacing is used for nuts primarily. 

drobertson

Theres been a few occasions where a slight peen at a few points around the top of threads have reduced the backing out of sets
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Just as a note, this is not an area for continued or problematic concern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!