iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Narrow blade

Started by brewdog, January 27, 2017, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewdog

Anyone ever try using a1/2 or3/4 blade to saw curves on a mill/2 or 3inch hardwood,.

redbeard

If your thinking of raising or lowering your sawmill head as you go through a cut. It doesn't work . At least Unintended rise and dive of blade doesn't get you very far in cut. But a Bandsaw mill has unlimited capabilities and people are coming up with inovating ways of producing amazing jigsand techniques. KEEP SAFETY in mind when attempting new things.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

drobertson

Not sure I'm following, if Redbeard hit it then it could get tricky, but I believe possible!e, just not on my mill, blade guides and rollers would be an issue,  it seems that most folks use the natural sweep in sawstock to get a desired curve, otherwise it seems drying could pose more issues with your desired results, interesting concept though.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Darrel

Any bandsaw is capable of cutting curves if you change the orientation of the wood in relation to the band. The band only cuts in one direction so in order to cut a curve, you have to rotate either the log or the saw.  On my mill rotating the saw in relationship to the log is not possible. While rotating the log in relationship to the saw might be possible I have no way to do it. I suppose if you want to bad enough, you can figure out a way to do it. Just think safety.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Just dump a load of knots in front of your cut....
You will get a curve.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 28, 2017, 01:28:46 PM
Just dump a load of knots in front of your cut....
You will get a curve.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  yea and if you need some knots I have some. Not sure why but I laughed out loud when I read that. Good one. I guess cause its happened to me before.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

This should make a curve.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Minor tapering of beams and such is possible but not any fancy scroll work. A friend of mine cut some replacement barn floor beams 10" tapered to 6" at the ends to fit in a socket. This was done with standard band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!