iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Research vs private sector: Statistics and sampling

Started by elduderino260, August 28, 2014, 10:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elduderino260

I am an environmental engineering grad student. I am currently debating whether to take a graduate level course on sampling. My concern is that the course focuses on descriptive objectives rather than collecting data that will be used for hypothesis testing/analysis. Would folks who are in industry/non-academic institutions say that they generally just use random samples and actually conduct statistical analyses, or do they more regularly collect data using varied sampling methods/layouts to report descriptive statistics (totals, means, percents, proportions etc...)? Thanks.

beenthere

The answers are probably what you should learn in the course. Sounds like you are concerned that the course is too focused in one area and will not cover another.
From your description, seems you are making a distinction between random sampling and using "varied" sampling methods. I'd think the course would have to cover any differences that you are suggesting are possible in the real world.

There are several members using sampling techniques and can better answer your question.

If you don't get a definitive answer here, I'd suggest you contact the instructor/professor and discuss your concerns.
Not sure what the subject title is suggesting.. "research vs private sector".
Are you debating going in to one vs. the other, or deciding if the course is worthy of your job goals, or if the course is worth the effort?

Statistics and sampling.  I think statistics is sampling.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

In my opinion, the more sampling methods that one knows the better also depending upon what your future work area might be.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

In university taking an undergrad in forestry we had a pile of statical methods from the elementary to fairly advanced. There were 4 specific courses on statitics but also others like mensuration, forest dynamics, linear programming, silviculture, and so on, used a lot of statistics. Like Ron said you should get a broad exposure. Then maybe you can specialize once you have learned things and figure what you want out of it. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clearcut

I'm not sure I understand your question fully, but I'll take a run at it. I have worked in the academic, industrial, and private landowner sectors. In academia, hypothesis testing with carefully designed sampling systems attempting to reach a stated level of probability are the most common. However descriptive statistics are used to characterize a study area for comparison.

In the industry (including land management agencies), descriptive statistics predominate, however agencies and larger companies will use hypothesis testing to compare treatments and such - should we thin to 70 or 90 square feet of basal area - is a lower concentration of a particular herbicide effective on this site etc.

Non-industrial private landowners are mostly concerned with describing what they have. I can't think of one that has set up a formal hypothesis test, unless it was in conjunction with a university trial.

You should discuss the course with the professor teaching it and your adviser to see if it fits into your study plan.

No matter who you end up working for, sampling costs money. If you are the person that can recommend the least costly sampling methods and still deliver acceptable results, that makes you a valuable employee.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!