iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

136 husky

Started by keppoch, May 19, 2010, 10:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keppoch

the chain keeps slipping of the sprocket,any ideas

beenthere

What can you tell us about what you have already checked out for cause or reasons?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

Does the chain gage match the sprocket gage?  3/8lp on 325 or vice versus.

Is the sprocket or spur wore.

Does the bar with sprocket tip match the chain and rim or spur?  As above also.

keppoch

everything matches,chain,sprocket, bar,it seems I`ll be cutting a little while then I notice the chain is not all on the bar, at the back of the bar it will slip of ,am I putting it on wrong, should the bar be tilted up a bit when putting it on or down out straight.

01crewcab

Bar should always be tilted up when tightening the chain.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

John Mc

Sorry to mention something so simple, but are you tightening the chain adjustment after putting on a new chain? Also, with a new chain, it will stretch, so you've got to retighten often.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Rocky_J

No sag, no drag. I cannot explain it any better or simpler than that. If it is sagging then it's too loose. If you cannot easily spin the chain by hand then it's too tight. Most new saw users will go to one extreme or the other. They either run it until the chain falls off or they crank it down so tight that the chain can't spin. Running a dull chain makes the problem worse because a dull chain gets hot and stretches so fast that the chain can be out of adjustment after a couple cuts.

HolmenTree

Quote from: keppoch on May 19, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
the chain keeps slipping of the sprocket,any ideas
Your chain may be a link or 2 too long for your bar, you may be at the end of its adjustment. What I'm saying is get the gap between the tail of the bar and sprocket as close as you possibly can. Then your chain should stop derailing with proper filing and tensioning.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

I agree with the others - the chain is either too long, or not tensioned properly!
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!