iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Growth timber faller pic

Started by DMcCoy, February 05, 2018, 07:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

Don Eaden working for Weyerhaeuser near Mt. St. Helens in SW Washington, 1948.

Tree is 10' in diameter.  Notch is axe cut, back cut is with 2 man felling saw.  Notice the wedge stuck on the log above his head.

Skeans1

Here's one of the last one that came off our place in the early 90's up out of Rainier.

petefrom bearswamp

Thats back when the men were men and some of the women were too
Hope I live long enough to get to the pacific Northwest and see some real timber.
I have a forestry school classmate in Oregon who keeps after me to visit, maybe well go after the pig roast.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dgdrls

Do not delay Pete smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Stayed in Portland,  made the north tip of the Rewoods in Cali' in about 5 hours.
Saw the sunset at Crescent City Lighthouse,  Also went to Tillamook and visited
the Big Spruce.  Just incredible,  Oh' good wine in Willamette too!!

D

Skeans1

Are you talking about the one outside Seaside? If so it blew over in a storm about 10 years back, that storm took a lot of lives in the clean up.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

What majestic trees, i hope to see them live one day!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

dgdrls

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 05, 2018, 09:21:19 PM
Are you talking about the one outside Seaside? If so it blew over in a storm about 10 years back, that storm took a lot of lives in the clean up.

If you're referring to the Spruce its this one,  suffered some damage but still going
Cape Mears 
D

Skeans1

No the one I was thinking of is the one just because Seaside off HWY 26 it was the oldest and largest in Oregon till she blew over. That one at Cape Mears is impressive that's for sure, if you want to see some big cedar there's some still in Washington up around Forks if I remember right and Gray's River area use to have a lot of old growth. Oregon I was told there's a patch of old growth fir still down in the valley around Salem area roughly, but anymore most of the stuff is smaller machine capable stuff unless it's down in some nasty hole or got passed over as junk at the time.

enigmaT120

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 06, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
Oregon I was told there's a patch of old growth fir still down in the valley around Salem area roughly, but anymore most of the stuff is smaller machine capable stuff unless it's down in some nasty hole or got passed over as junk at the time.

I don't know of any around Salem (some big cottonwoods though) but the Valley of the Giants is just a few miles west of me, just over the crest of the coast range.  And I know a couple of other patches of original trees.  All on BLM land but you can't get to it without paying Weyerhauser for a permit.   
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

quilbilly

I believe the tallest Doug fir is in the coast range now in Oregon, I believe it has a dead top though. Over 300 ft tall. The previous tallest was near mineral water at 390 ft but blew over. I know some cutters in the east Pierce county and east Lewis country areas and lots of pockets of 200ft plus wood on the forest service. Same here on the olypen, but maybe not quite 200 ft unless you're on the West end near forks and quinault
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

We have some stuff well over 200 ft on our place as well.

Thank You Sponsors!