iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Business

Started by crylozeus, January 23, 2016, 03:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crylozeus

Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone out there who has started and successfully ran a firewood business. I am curious about what I would need to know to get firewood contracts where one could offer kiln dried or green firewood. I would have a loading dock where I could load 48' to 53' trailers for larger orders. Does anyone have any experience in securing contracts?

Thanks, CZ

starmac

I would consider the price of oil to start with. I'm sure new start ups can and will work out, but it might not be as lucrative the next couple of years as it has been the last few.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

rjwoelk

We started a firewood business back in 10. What you need to do is add up all expenses involved,  fuel labour cost of logs etc.  amortize your equipment over say 5 year payback. Then add 30 to 40 percent, this is your seed money so that you can finance  your operation after a few years. If you can sell firewood for that price go for it. In the mean time like me DONT Quite your day job. We dont use any of the money for living off. It goes back into the business.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, crylozeus.  Adding your location to your profile helps with answering questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!