iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks Cat's Claw belt

Started by boscojmb, November 12, 2016, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boscojmb

I just picked up a Cat's Claw sharpener. Has anyone found a local source for the drive belt.

I plan to call Cooks and get the right belt plus a spare, but I have jobs lined up and I'm out of sharp blades.

I'm sure that Cooks used a common belt, but common to what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

barbender

Hmmm. Good question, I'll be waiting to see the answer. I can't remember if it's a flat belt or a v-beIt? I bet if you took it to an auto parts store if they could match it to something.
Too many irons in the fire

boscojmb

Quote from: barbender on November 12, 2016, 10:20:20 PM
Hmmm. Good question, I'll be waiting to see the answer. I can't remember if it's a flat belt or a v-beIt? I bet if you took it to an auto parts store if they could match it to something.

It's a micro "V" flat belt. It's too small for an automotive application, and a bit too big for a vacuum cleaner belt.

Thanks,
John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Chuck White

The Cat Claw's belt is called a serpentine belt, it has grooves on the inside!

I replaced my belt about a year ago and went to auto parts store to cross-reference and none of the local parts stores could find a replacement!

The belt resembles a sewing machine belt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Small engines shop maybe?  Feed store? 
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Chuck White

The old belt that I removed has the number: 230J printed on it, and on the opposite side, next to where it says Made in China, there is another number 4107.

I just can't seem to get it cross-referenced!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mrfu

bandmiller2

Sorry John I don't have a spare belt but as you say would be nice to have a spare. I wonder if all cats claw sharpeners use the same belt. Cooks seem to be reasonable with what I've ordered from them. Just for chuckles see if there are any identifying numbers on the new belts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bluejay27

Just searching on the web real quick turned up a Gates 230J10, which is a 23" long 1" wide 10 rib belt. I hope that helps, I found it on scamazon (since we all call the other one flebay) but for about $25.

And the 4107 is possibly a batch number,  like how Wood-Mizer will send blade wheel belts with sequential numbers so they run the same.

Edit: Whatever number of ribs the belt has, make that the last number (ex: 6 rib is 230J6) to get the right belt. It's a 23.0" (230) size J belt, just so you understand the code.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

boscojmb

Thanks for all the replies.

Bluejay27's explination was right on.

The belt turned out to be a 230J4.

I managed to order them on a stock order with some other items at work.

Best part was the price $1.58 Each. Way less than I expected.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

bandmiller2

John, I just checked my cat and my belt is a Dayco 230j quite narrow only has about three grooves, made in USA. that's a good price you got hope its the right one. Frank C.

esteadle

I have a 2015 Cat Claw sharpener that needed a replacement belt.

First, if you still have it, look in the box for some spare belts. Cooks shipped me 2 of them with the sharpener, and I didn't know it - DOH!

Next, here is the specs on a replacement that I found at an online store called "Belt Palace":

230J14 Poly-V Belt      230J4        2  4.75
(Micro-V): Metric
14-PJ584 Motor Belt.:
230J4 Poly-V Belts: 23"
Length, 4 Ribs. Metric
PJ584 Belt

http://beltpalace.com/

I got 2 belts, and they were about 5 bucks each.

I put one of them on and though it's a little tricky, I managed it ok. They have directions in the manual. Just make sure your grind wheel is square to the machine before you lock down the bearings. There is a little T tool that you can use for this. Or get out your own builders' square if you lost it.

Best of luck.

Chuck White

Quote from: boscojmb on November 14, 2016, 01:49:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Bluejay27's explination was right on.

The belt turned out to be a 230J4.

I managed to order them on a stock order with some other items at work.

Best part was the price $1.58 Each. Way less than I expected.

Man, I'd like to get hold of a few of those at that price!

The replacement I got a couple years ago was something over $9.00 + shipping!   :-\

bandmiller2

John, did you get a setter with the cats claw.?? Frank C.

boscojmb

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 16, 2016, 08:09:19 PM
John, did you get a setter with the cats claw.?? Frank C.

Yes, it's a Suffolk dual tooth setter.

I didn't even know it was there. The sharpener was wraped up in plastic, mounted to a bench in storage shed. I couldn't tell that the setter was mounted to the back side of the bench.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Thank You Sponsors!