iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine moose hunt

Started by moosehunter, June 10, 2018, 11:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

My bride has drawn a permit for the 2018 Maine moose hunt! Woo hoo!
I , being her sub-permitee get to go along to be her gun bearer/food cooker/driver/ect, ect,...
This will be her first big game hunt other than local white tails. She is pretty excited about it! This will be my 4th Maine moose hunt, first was mine, second my buddy (who was my sub) third was my dad.
We love going to "The County" for any reason but moose hunting ranks among the best.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

I've never been moose hunting, but I've had some moose stew before.  food6
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

What area did you pull?  Remember the best place to shoot a moose is in the bed of your pickup, next best is right beside the road, across the chopping, down the hill, through the woods is by far the worst!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moosehunter

Zone 3. All of my hunts have been in 3 so I know some of the locals so shouldn't have trouble finding a place to hunt.

mh

submarinesailor

OUTSTANDING.  Tell her we said "Good Luck!"

petefrom bearswamp

Good luck.
I miss the Moose meat as I havent been since 1999
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PA_Walnut

How much meat does one yield from an average moose? Must be couple hundred pounds?
Good luck!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Congratulations!!!  Hunting Moose has always been a dream for me. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I seem to recall about 300 pounds of meat from a huge cow I shot.
this is my second favorite meat after whitetail.
Then comes Elk, Mule deer, caribou and lastly Antelope but all is good.
Beef is good too and MUCH cheaper that wild game meat but not nearly the fun to acquire..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds like a great time.
That's a lot of meat to have to store, let me know if you need any help. ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

The first time we went in 1998 I bought a new chest freezer in Presque Isle,  I still have it and will take it with us 
mh

Ken

Congrats and good luck.  I've been fortunate enough to be on a moose hunt for several years in a row including 3 years ago when I had the license.  Great times with great friends
Lots of toys for working in the bush

moosehunter

We had a very hard hunt. By Friday about 2pm we had seen only 7 moose. Only 2 were shootable cows, only one of them in a legal place to shoot. My wife while getting ready to shoot the one we had a chance at slipped on the ice and dropped her gun and herself in a mud hole. The moose ran off in a fit of laughter.
By Friday @ 2pm we had given up and were heading back to camp when Mrs. Hunter asked is we could stop by the moose check in station and maybe see someone else's dead moose before we packed up and headed home. Well wouldn't you know that we met a young fellow that in true Maine fashion insisted that he could find us a moose and wouldn't hear of us go home without. So we agreed to go with him. Friday eve we spotted no moose but he was so sure in his ability to find us a moose that we agreed to meet him again Saturdaymorning.  Come day light we saw a HERD of moose, I have never seen a herd of moose before. Must have been near 20 animals. The only problem was that they were running away so no shot was available.
*I'll finish this story tomorrow. Don't know how to save it*
mh

Weekend_Sawyer

Awwww man!!
Talk about a cliffhanger! :o

Southside

Were they in a broccoli field?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moosehunter

Soon we saw another nice cow but being 250yrd away was not a safe shot for her muzzleloader. About 9:20 am we found a cow with two bulls about 110 yards up hill in a recient cutting. Her shot was true and we finally had a moose on the ground! Now how to get 500 lbs of dead moose out of the woods. Again the hospitality of northern Mainers shown through with a total of 7 other hunter showing up to help drag it out and get it in the truck. I can't say enough good things about an entire group of people interrupting their hunt to help my wife complete her hunt.
So the original plan was to leave for home early Saturday morning. I had the moose skinned,  quartered  and in our freezer by 5pm . A quick shower at Pappy and Gram'S place (ff members and awesome folks) and on the road by 6pm, right into a noreaster with ice, sleet, snow and treacherous roads. Made it to Bangor about 10:30pm, spent the night, on home Sunday around 7pm.
What a trip, what memories! 
Now to post a pic,.....

moosehunter

took this pic Friday midday. My truck has never been this dirty!

Weekend_Sawyer

Fantastic ending!

Pappy and Jen are great folks.
Jon

moosehunter

Does anyone know where I can get a moose hide tanned? We want a hair on blanket. 

thecfarm

My truck have never been that clean.  :D
Good job by all!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Outstanding !!!  Thanks for sharing your Wife's joy.   8) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I recognized Martin's in Sinclair. :)   You get a plate full there. Love that place!

barbender

That's awesome! You know, one thing I notice in the east is that we rarely quarter an animal in the field, out west they'll hardly move a rabbit without quartering it up first!😁
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

I'd bet the difference is in how far they have to move the animal to reach equipment to lift and skin the animal. I know I never even field dress my deer because I can typically drag them downhill a few hundred yards to a point I can reach them with my ATV and my skinning rack is designed so I can drive the ATV between the uprights and lift them right off the machine with my hoist. We shot 2 on the 20th and both fell right in my ATV path.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

That's a fact WV- usually you're way off the road out west, and you don't drag an elk. But I wouldn't drag a moose either, and usually moose don't inhabit real good "dragging" country😊
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!