iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum

Started by Gwhunter, June 10, 2014, 07:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwhunter

I wanted to introduce myself to the board. I'm a new member that's been enthusiastically trying to absorb as much sawyer wisdom as possible. I got the bug from a co worker that has a milling operation towards the cape.

I'm very interested in milling my own timbers and possible D logs for a log home and timber framed barn in the very near future. (I'd hire the framing crew for the erection process).I'd like to cut/shape all the materials myself. Some of the concerns I have are the "shelf life of the wood and drying.

I had thought I settled on a Woodmizer lt15 but now I'm starting to think a lt28 is a better choice. If I went with the lt15 I was planning of buying the MP100 molder/planner to make the needed D logs for the cabin. I should note that I don't have a materials list or cabin design, I'm just trying to procure all the "tools" for the project. I have a tractor and don't plan on mobile milling with out it at the site.

I've made contact with local loggers and several tree co and would like to use mostly EWP timbers. I understand that the tree co's will mostly be yard trees so there's not telling what I'll encounter. I did speak with the local building inspector that indicated that the wood would need to be graded to build with.
I asked if that was still the case if the wood was harvested from the property and not sold for profit.
He was unable to answer but actually happy with my interest.

Is it realistic to assemble,mill,dry,stage all the needed wood over the next year or so and then build?
I'm sure alot of my questions can't be answered until I have some sort of design/cutlist etc?
I'm an electrician by trade so I'm busy at least 40 hrs a week but really want to dedicate myself to this project and the sense of accomplishment it will create for me and my family.

Matt ;D

thecfarm

Gwhunter,welcome to the forum. Sounds like quite the untaking,but doable. I'm no help to ya. Others will be though.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello Gwhunter, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I wish you the best with your sawmill selection and the upcoming build.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. You can do it and will be glad you did. The FF will help you thru all the steps. bg

Small Slick

I am an electrician too. It's very helpful to be in the trades as you will have a lot of resources available to gather information from. This group at the FF will be an outstanding resource!

From my limited experience you certainly can do it; you will have to dedicate a lot of time and effort into the project. It will be a long process but very rewarding. As you well know keep a good relationship with the local AHJ and life will be a lot better!

John

Gwhunter

Quote from: Small Slick on June 10, 2014, 08:52:48 AM
I am an electrician too. It's very helpful to be in the trades as you will have a lot of resources available to gather information from. This group at the FF will be an outstanding resource!

From my limited experience you certainly can do it; you will have to dedicate a lot of time and effort into the project. It will be a long process but very rewarding. As you well know keep a good relationship with the local AHJ and life will be a lot better!

John

I'm fortunate that my town building inspector also does the electrical inspections, so he's familiar with my work. I appreciate all the welcoming replies. I'd like to decide on a mill by the end of the month. If it weren't for the MP100 and lt28 incompatibility I think it would be an easy decision for me. I was hoping to buy a lightly used lt15 but in this area they resale for just shy of new cost. So it seems like a no brainer to just order what I want.

Matt

MAI

Welcome to the FF Gwhunter.  Best of luck.

barbender

Welcome to the forum, Gwhunter. I'd say if portability isn't a concern, the LT15 will make you quite happy, with the addition of being able to run the MP100 on it. I think your plans are doable, but have/make provision for areas to stack and sticker all of your sawn material, and keep it dry. That can range from material piled outside with a waterproof covering to some type of shed, but you need airflow to keep that EWP from getting blue stain and mold on it.
Too many irons in the fire

dblair

welcome aboard the folks here are the best . there's always someone that can answer your questions .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gwhunter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

UpInATree

Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with your new mill and your home build.  Ask lots of questions...you will find plenty of us with something to say 8)
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!