iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did anybody besides me watch the Masters today?

Started by DanG, April 12, 2009, 11:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

And did anybody besides me notice any particularly nice pine logs standing around that place?  I toured the Augusta National on a golf cart, one week per year for 15 years.  I know the place like the back of my hand, but I was still amazed at the size and quality of the timber while watching on TV this afternoon.

Congrats to Angel Cabrero!!  He hung in there when things weren't going that well, and got a few lucky breaks too.  He didn't give up and he didn't choke, and that's what it takes to win there! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

I thought about you when I saw the match and wondered if you were still working the masters. I noticed quite a few good trees on the course, and even a few that appeared to be dead?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Brad_S.

They say the camera adds 10 pounds. Perhaps they look bigger and better on TV than when you saw them in person for the same reason.  :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DanG

Actually, they look bigger in person than on tv.  I even saw the biggest pine I know about and it didn't look as big as it does when you're standing beside it.  It is a 48"+ Loblolly between the 11th fairway and the 14th green.  We got pines around here that are that fat, but they're wolf trees.  That sucker must be 100' to the first branch!

Ken, I had that gig from '93 thru '07 when the boss retired and gave up the contract.  I enjoyed being a small part of it, but all this past week I was happy to not be there. 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

It was a fun Masters to watch. Several stories.  Cabrerra was tied with Perry at -11 and then started having problems and bogeyed his way to -9 while Perry birdied his way to -13.

Meanwhile, Woods and Michelson were battling it out and both looked like they were on track to catch Perry until Woods ran into trouble and both Woods and Michelson bogied on the 18th. Woods ended up with a -8 and Michelso a -9.

Finally Cabrerra found his clubs again and started birdying (is that a word?) his way back up a little here and  a little there. Campbell was also pushing Perry, but Perry was cool and steady.  Cool and steady that is....until the 18th hole when he bogied with a putt that stopped a smidgen left of the hole.  That made a 3 way tie.....a first for the Masters.

On the first hole all three golfers parred . Luck was with Cabrerra after he drove his ball into the trees and then hit a tree trying to get out.  Fortunately his ball landed in the fairway. His next shot was a beauty and plopped not far from the hole and he parred to stay alive.

On the 2nd hole of Sudden Death Playoff, Perry and Campbell got into trouble with their drives and Cabrerra's drive went true. His 2nd shot landed on the green  and he 2 putted for the win. Perry had to be disgusted with himself for faultering at the 18th.
s      
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Burlkraft

I was watchin for a bit yesterday.
Jill comes in and sits down and says, "Wow...Look at the saw logs in that tree!"

She's finally trained  ;D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

petefrom bearswamp

DanG
That was a good match to watch!
I was kinda pulling for the "old guy" tho.
When it went to the playoff, I said to my wife that Cabrera has the best chance.
At one point the announcer, I think it was Faldo referenced an Eastern White pine.
Does this species grow there?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pigman

I watched for a while. I think they have over grazed the pastures there. My cows would starve on the short grass.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

bedway

Speaking for myself, i look forward to the Masters all winter. That and the Datona 500 are kinda like that signal that mother nature is awakening from the long winter hibernation. The Masters and Pebble beach are two of the most beautiful courses in the country. I only regret i didnt take up golf when i was a young pup. In my case 38 was a little late to be thinking of turning pro :D It was great seeing Norman back!

ellmoe

Quote from: DanG on April 12, 2009, 11:47:12 PM
And did anybody besides me notice any particularly nice pine logs standing around that place? 

Yeah, I'm guilty! :D  My brother was watching on tv, when I stuck my head in. I asked him, "do you know what I'm thinking ?"after I had a quick glance at the tv . "No", he replied. I said "Look at that pine, I'd love to saw that sucker!" His rely, "  ::)  " .

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

DanG

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on April 13, 2009, 10:13:26 AM

At one point the announcer, I think it was Faldo referenced an Eastern White pine.
Does this species grow there?
Pete

Pete, I was wondering if anyone else caught that. :D :D  I had to restrain myself, as my Bride works nights and was asleep, but I just wanted to scream!  That was a Loblolly pine, one of the Southern Yellow Pines. ::) :D  I'm not sure, but I think that was one of the ones that was transplanted about 3 years ago in that fairway.  They moved several good sized pines, which appeared to be about 12"dbh and maybe 50 feet tall.  The rumor was that it was an effort to slow Tiger down as he is such a long hitter.  I noticed that Mickleson was out-driving him yesterday though.  How about Mickleson's front nine score?! :o :o  He was burning the hair off of the course for a while there!  I thought he was gonna run away with it.

Pigman, you oughta see the cows that graze that place!  I always enjoyed watching them.  They are actually big diesel Jacobsen mowers, and they run in herds of about 14 or 16.  It's like watching the Blue Angels or a Shriner's parade.  They use radios and hand signals and they can knock that place out in less than an hour.  I hear tell those mowers are accurate to within 1/64".  They trim up twice a day during the tournament.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks, I didn't think it grew in GA.
Pines here are Eastern White both wild and plantation and REd mostly plantation.
Not a lot of wild EWP here in central NY, but lots in the eastern Adirondacks.
The only Southern Yellow I  have sawed is reclaimed power poles both creosote and Penta, NASTY!!
Which species of SYP are these poles?
Thanks
PETE
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

DanG

As far as I know, the poles could be any of the SYP types or some of the Western species.  I doubt you could tell the difference in a SYP, Ponderosa or Lodgepole in the form of a creosoted power pole.

petefrom bearswamp

I sawed some western hemlock poles a couple of years ago.
The treatment didn't penetrate very good. The SYP is much better.
I don't think that i have had any Doug or other western fir.
Mostly SYP
Petet

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on April 14, 2009, 10:13:23 AM
Thanks, I didn't think it grew in GA.

Pete, eastern white pine most certainly grows in Georgia, but not as far south as Augusta.  In the southern Appalachians, where I live, it's the most common species of pine.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks Dodgy
If I can ever figure out how to post pics I will post one of two huge  WP in the adirondacks about 20 years ago.
They both are now dead having been struck by lightning but several more in this area are still standing.
They are in the New York state Forest preserve which allows no cutting on state owned lands. the preserve is about 6 million acres with about half owned by the state.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I love the Masters.  It is my favorite sporting event.  Those trees are just awesome.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

There was also a rather large hardwood (with a low/broad crown) up around the 18th green that Tiger had to hit over or around when he banged off of the tree and wound up over in the other fairway.  It did not appear to be a live oak, but might have been - although I would have expected a live oak to be greener and have a fuller crown.  This tree appeared to be in the midst of leafing out.  DanG, do you know what it is?

DanG

No, but I doubt if it was a Live Oak.  I don't remember seeing any in that area.  There are very few Live Oaks on the course.  Most of the Oaks that are right along the fairways appear to be Laurel or Darlington.

Thank You Sponsors!