iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin Skidder Questions

Started by bkellyvtme, November 10, 2006, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

I just recently purchased a 1979 170. It has a 453 Detroit and is fairly good shape.

Question 1: Is there any tricks that I need to know about changing the brake in the transfer case? Looks to be a pain.
Question 2: How is the rear axle drained? There are not any drain plugs on the bottom that I can remove except where it is filled on the hubs and high up on the axle.
Question 3: The front Hydr resivoir has a dipstick that is only about 6" long, is that the right one? Seems odd to me, it doesn't even go into the resevoir.
Question 4: What is the oil capacity on the 453?
Question 5: What oil is in the differentials and transfercase?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks

Ed_K

I can answer the ? on the 453. 5 gals and if it doesn't have a cartridge filter be real careful of getting it back on straight, I dumped 3 gals of delvac 1300 on the ground before I realized the canister wasn't seated  >:( . I run a taylor skidder and replaced the caliper type brake on the transfer case, it was $700 and a real pain to get one of the top bolts back in.
Ed
Ed K

bkellyvtme

Thanks for the reply. My 453 does have a canaster oil filter. Thanks for the heads up on seating it right.

Coon

The dipstick question is easy enough to answer.  The dipstick is definately long enough  IF  it goes down atleast 2 or 3 inches (maybe 4) below the top of the resivoir.  The resivoir must be filled to about 2 inches from being filled to the top WITH fluid in all of your lines, cylinders, hydr motors etc.  Reason being you need a little airspace in the resivoir so that you don't lose fluid out through the breather.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

bkellyvtme

Coon, thanks for the reply. The only thing is about the dipstick is it is in the fill pipe. It doesn't look to go far enough down to leave any air in the resevoir. ??? I called a dealership for Franklins and he said it was right. Well, the rebuilding begins. I found I have a 353 and not a 453. It was my fault (inexperience) I just took it for granted it was. I also found out it is a Franklin 100XL. I stole it for the price I got it for. I am going through it and getting it rebushed and new pins, hydraulic cylanders rebuilt, transmission looked at, and now I am in the process of replacing seals and brake in the transfer case. Loving it so far. I need it done before Dec 15. Lots to do in a short time.

Coon

Sounds like you got things under complete control.  You definately have your work cut out for you.  Lots to do in such a short period.  Hope everything works out with the Franklin.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberjack240

when we had brakes put in the 240 we had lyons eq do it. it was a nice bill and we got used pads at that . i cant help ya with that transfer case but new bushings and pins arent htat bad to do. lotta weldin and torchin in the landing between thunderstorms, i hope you have a shop or sumthin to work outta the weather  ;D and repackin cylinders isnt to bad but if you didnt find out already when you take the cylinders out watch yur feet  ;D other wise your shoes will be water proof fromtthe oil as for our 353 it takes 3 gal of oil im not guaranteenin you thats what yours is but its possible ... oh yea makesure you get the right seals for your cylinders... we accidentally put tj 225 packin in the 240 didnt work to well but the seals that fit fit very tight  :D ... good luck
timberjack 240

bkellyvtme

Removed the articulation hydraulic cylinders and they are getting done at a shop not far from here. I am also converting the 353's cartride oil filter to a spin on, simple as an adapter. Got a hefty bill for the brake kit, 4 pins and 2 bushings. $500. Right from the Franklin Factory. Ouch. :'( Oh well it will be alot better after I get done with it.

Thank You Sponsors!