iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed Insulation

Started by Steve_M, December 28, 2005, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M

I just started to heat a 30 X 50 pole shed ( with no insulation) with in floor radiant heat from an Empyre OWB.  Looking for ideas on the best way to insulate.

One idea I had was to put in a celling with 2x4's between the trusses(10ft), attach a foil faced insulation board to bottom of 2x4's then blow in cellelous in the celling.  Then us insulation board in the side walls.

Another idea is to use a bubble foil product attached to the underside of the roof and also to the walls.

My heat is cheap but I would like to contain it rather than let it all go out the roof.  I also want the benifet of a cooler shed durring the summer.

Anybody have any other ideas or advise?

Steve 
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

etat

I insulated my shop with ten foot wide rolls of insulation like they use in the factory's.  It has plastic on both sides and fiberglass in the middle.  Laid it right over the laths, and then screwed the metal down on top of it. As I remember it wasn't that much higher than regular insulation but it's been a while.  You can get it anywhere they sell tin or metal for commercial or metal buildings, not at a regular lumber supply.   

Thinking you can probably see it in the background here on this picture if you look close. 

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Norm

Steve I just finished doing that to my Morton shed. I used joist hangers on 2' centers between the trusses. Put in 2x4's,  hung sheet rock and then had a place come in and blow insulation in the ceiling. I also did the side walls with insulation by running 2x4's horizontally between the uprights that are supports for the roof trusses. That way I had a place to run my electric for wall outlets and could use regular r-19 batts, it was covered with sheet rock also. I looked into the wide batts of insulation but it was a special order item available from Morton only and they were real proud of it.

If you decide to use joist hangers buy a palm nailer, it cut down the time to install them by a bunch

Sawyerfortyish

Why not spray foam it a couple inches of that and it seals everything.

Patty

We looked into the foam....it was REALLY expensive. More than our buget was capable of handling. It might be cheaper in other areas, I don't know. It looks like good stuff though.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Larry

Quote from: Steve_M on December 28, 2005, 01:25:23 AM
One idea I had was to put in a celling with 2x4's between the trusses(10ft), attach a foil faced insulation board to bottom of 2x4's then blow in cellelous in the celling. 

B-I-L did exactly what you are thinking about.  Taped the seams to make it air tight.  Worked great...but sure is ugly.

I attached metal to the bottom of my 4' on center trusses and blew in the cellulose.  Its called liner metal and little cheaper than what you use outside.  Side benefit was the lighting.  With the ridges and fluorescents there are no shadows...looks like a hospital operating room.

Not impressed with the bubble stuff and there claims, but the foam is excellent...if you can afford it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ernie_Edwards

Larry,

Nice looking project.

Mighty small bathroom back in that corner.

Larry

Ernie, you must remember I am building in Arkansas were things are....slightly different than in the rest of the world. :D ;D :D

Got this one finished while back...even has hot and cold running water. ;D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!