iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor prototype

Started by woody1, January 05, 2009, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

I started building a prototype for a processor I have been thinking about. I started putting it together today out of wood. I will be taking some pictures tommorrow, after I make sure everything is fitting together properly. It is a simple design and I am sure it's been done before, but I've never seen it.  ???
I am just welding a piece of channel to the top of the log splitter ram, going vertical, then 90 horizontal, then back 90 vertiacal to a set of spring loaded fingers, which will be a little below the log trough. So basically, when you retract the log splitter ram the finger slide under the log. Then, when you split the cut piece you are also advancing the log.  ::) ??? You'll understand when you see the picture. The log will advance the length of the stroke of the cylinder. 8) ???
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

woody1

Here is a drawing of what I have in mind.  ???

And here is a quick wooden prototype.

Mr Mom

Nice design.
I would turn the cylinder around and get more pushing power.
Just my two cents.
I will be wacthing this post closely beacuse i want to build one too.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

schmism

So the only think i dont understand is why all the funky S shaped steel below the "push plate"

why not just mount the cyclinder up under the "table" and connect it directly to the end of the leg sticking down from the push plate.

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED PLEASE READ FORUM RULES

note you can put the cylinder on the other side of the leg to get more pushing power out of the ram.  (instead of pulling power as i have shown, but thats the only place in the pic to put it to get the idea across)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

beenthere

woody1
I was a bit confused when first saw your drawing, and added some descriptive terms. Does this fit with what you are inventing?

Lost something in this process of uploading.  Jeff must be fine-tuning. The post-reply tab was lost, and had to start the reply over...then opened another tab to get to the gallery, and pasted this in.  ::) ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

schmism

ahhh that makes some more sence

but you still have an extra chunk in there... "link" B is not needed

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED PLEASE READ FORUM RULES
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

beenthere

Hmmm?
I figured the "to be next" piece has already been bucked off and is loose. That the indexer wasn't dragging the whole log ahead.  Thus the small spring-loaded finger, catching the "to be next" piece as the next piece drops down ahead of the splitting ram.

Will have to see what the inventor thinks.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woody1

Thanks alot guys for your interest. "D" slides in the log troff. It pushes the log forward to overhang the log troff to be cut. When the billet drops and is being split you are also advancing the log for the next piece to be cut..ect...ect.
"H" is an internal guide rail to keep everything running true. I will probably have to have two or three of these ass'ys in the log deck.
I wish I could do the photos like you guys are doing, but I don't have a clue. The reason for the "up-over-up" is..This design is to be used on an existing log splitter. You need to clear so stuff..engine ect.
Please keep the picture and advice coming,
Thanks a million,
Woody

woody1

Forgot to mension..the cylinder is retracted when the cut is made.
Woody

bandmiller2

Woody thats one of those laying in bed at night projects.Are you cutting each piece with a chainsaw or will it be automatic?I would have the log to one side and feed from the side to keep the weight low.A trough behind the splitter wedge fed into a pile or trailer saves labor,works like a hay bailer keeps pushing the one behind it.A dead deck behind the trough same level or a little above would save tractor startups.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Woody been thinking about your project,the work in splitting is picking the chunks up and setting them on the splitter,and handling the split pieces.I think what your planning would require you to have your chainsaw running all the time your splitting ,would you hold it in one hand as you work the splitter controls?What if you built a trough behind and a little above the splitter with a belt or drag chain,ramp down to the splitter.Behind the trough a 4' deck with spaces the legnth you cut your wood.Cut one log roll pieces in the trough,cut anouther log,and anouther,shut off chainsaw and split.Jog forward piece rolls down to splitter,after keeps pushing up ramp into trailer.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woody1

Frank..The cut chunks fall straight down from the log troff to the splitter the get split. There will be no touching the chunk. The fingers moe the log ahead on the log troff, thelog gets cut, the chunk falls down,  gets split and goes up a conveyor. The only thing that the finger deal does is advance the log as the chunk is getting split.
I will get a better drawing for you.
Thanks for you interest. Iam working on the finger ass'y now.
Woody

thecfarm

I saw this idea at a show. They used a chainsaw with a hole drilled through the bar so you could run the saw with one hand.I suppose they used a longer than normal bar too.It was running all the time.Took no effort to press the throttle and tip it up to cut.They had it balanced just right.Than you could take the motor off and still use it to cut the trees down with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woody1

Here is another drawing. ??? ???

The saw moves up after the cut.

Ron Wenrich

Any system that is cutting firewood by an automatic saw is going to need a hold down of some type.  Without one, you're asking for trouble, as logs will move as they're being cut.  You wouldn't put a log on a mill without dogging it down.

I've seen systems that advance logs by grapple, chains, rolls and belts.  The biggest reason is because firewood usually isn't straight and perfect.  It likes to roll around, and sometimes has some sweep to it.  You end up having hollow spots underneath your log when you want it to move.

Although your ram may move the log ahead, you'll have to slide your table underneath to get your next bite.  Seems to me that would be a problem on ugly logs or when you get to the end of the log. 

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Woody1
Any update on the advancer to the wood splitter/processer?

Just curious.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Smokey

Woody ....I really like your idea for the advancing  the wood on the log deck by using the the cylinder of the splitter but as Ron pointed out that you would probably need a conveyor chain to grab the garbage logs that you'll most likely be using for fire would.

Could you not use your spring tooth to pull the chain around instead of the log? I would think that your spring loaded system would work for grabbing a chain too!
Like on the underside of the chain but on the top side of the loop of the chain conveyor.
I'd love to see some pictures of the splitter and any progress you've made :)

Smokey
Reality is just a figment of my Hallucination

woodmills1

well once again, if yours is lees well built than my new multitek you will bend and or break something.

less may not be more

I have bent and broke
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!