iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new designed log tongs from Baileys, review and picture

Started by Kelvin, February 13, 2010, 08:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Thought you might like to see these tongs from baileys.  They looked good and the price of $62 appealed to my cheapness, though i've been burned in the past with chinese things from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company (not designed right)  These are great!  Really positive hold, don't fall off, even after moving the log, and getting slack.  THey really dig in and stay on through thick and thin.  The links that hold the swivel hook to the tongs look whimpy.  Don't know why they have 1" thick bar stock on the tongs and connect them up with what appears to be 3/8" chain repair links (probably better than that though) but i doubt they will break.  Just looked kinda whimpy to me.

I'll update if anything happens with them, but they seem to work well for the money.

Magicman

Interesting.  I'm surprised that the inserts don't have much forward angle.  I don't think that there will be a problem with the links, and thankfully it does have a swivel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

I'm surprised that they have the inserts at all.  Looks like it would be cheaper and easier to just bend and sharpen in the conventional manner.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Better mousetrap  ???  I'm really interested to see how this works out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Agree with M_M don't look like enough set to points from what I am use to seeing but I ain't a tong builder either. Out west here you can generaly find what we call horse tongs at farm sales. I gave away a set a little biger than that to Duane for his museum.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

stonebroke

Looks like it is the same company that makes those brush grabbers?

Stonebroke

bandmiller2

The usual tong design requires a very costly fordging die to form the pointed ends this design can be turned, probibly on a screw machine.No real reason it won't be just as functional.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tom

the forged tong points suffer from being sharpened by grinding.  Properly sharpened by being drawn out by fire and hammering they will last almost indefinitely.

I bet the inserts aren't meant to be replaced, only to be easy to manufacture. 

I am guessing, but think that the inserted point would not reach the same qualifications for Lifting as the forged point, being dependent upon that small tube of metal at the end of the tong.

Brucer

Quote from: Tom on February 13, 2010, 06:49:28 PM
I am guessing, but think that the inserted point would not reach the same qualifications for Lifting as the forged point, being dependent upon that small tube of metal at the end of the tong.

"For skidding only. Not to be used for overhead lifting."

I have a theory about the designer's theory ;D. If you lift the front of the log with skidding tongs, as you drag it conventional forged tips will work away at the wood and there will be sideways bending stresses on the tips. On these new ones it looks like the tips can swivel in their mounts so they'll adapt to the angle of pull. I suspect the new tips were hardened and heat treated before mounting in the tongs.

Just a guess ...
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Don K

I have been planning to buy those very tongs when the paycheck rolls in next week. I will definitely give them a workout on some big pine. Gotta buy a bar and chain combo too.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Banjo picker

Kelvin how big a log will they drag?  The ones I have are too small and don't hold very good either....Maybe I should lay them out in the weather a couple of years and then sell them on ebay.   :D  Just kidding....Keep us posted....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

captain_crunch

I have a small set that need to be put in forge and re arced so guess I need to get some more Coal and put up some pics of redoing them. I enjoy foundery work almost as much as milling. Had water mill builders and Blacksmiths on Mom's side of family and Farmer Loggers on Dad's side :) :)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

379hammerdown

I'm like  you... when I see tongs for $200 and then ones that look just like em for $60, I go for the cheaper ones!

That is a neat design. I might try out a pair of those. I've got two pair of tongs that I got from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company for about the same price. They aren't worth a flip until you take a grinder and sharpen the tips... then they grab great, but I keep bending (Twisting)the arms so they are spread several inches apart when they are closed. I guess when I'm making sharp turns while dragging a log. I get tired of repairing them  :D The swivel would cure that I'm sure.

I used to use them for every log... that's what was so annoying, because I NEEDED them for EVERY log.... but I FINALLY sprung and got a new tractor with a front end loader last month.  Now I only use the tongs with boom pole for logs that I cant pick up with the loader and for skidding. Tongs are a wonderful thing, and I've discovered that a tractor with a loader is a REALLY wonderful thing!

How wide do those open up?

Keith

captain_crunch

Maybe a Dumb guestion but what you guys got against skidding logs with a chocker Tongs were made for lifting logs. And since Horse logging days have not been used around here for skidding since

sigidi

I have to admit, (after only just doing a bit of reading tonight) these tongs look like they would handle 'smaller' logs, but get something 24-30" in them and I'm not sure the geometry of the points would hold the log?? Let us know
Always willing to help - Allan

Don K

Those are 25" tongs. When I'm skidding with a tractor using a drawbar, the tongs are easier and I get more lift. When I've got a 18 to 22 inch pine log laying flat on the ground I don't feel like getting down on my knees to poke a chain under there. Just set the tongs, lift and go.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

captain_crunch

According to my mentor those are more of a timber tong than log tong due to points comeing straight in Here is what we call log tongs

We are going to reshape a set of timber tongs tomorrow or Thursday will try to get some pics. And me ain't gonna argue with Duane about curavature of them as he was 2 time Worlds Champ Ax Thrower. Ever seen someone take 3 hatchets between their knees and stick em all in 3ft block :o :o :o

dovetails

Captain, how about a side view of your setup? Looks like something I could use around here.Is there  a winch to raise the logs?
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Kelvin

Well the tongs don't like really big logs as we thought.  I tried them on a 36" white oak log and it just tore out the bark as you would think.  Also i thought i could tap the points in only to find out you can't tap on these points as the E clip just popped off and the point fell out.  So, in conclusion great for logs that it was designed for 25" and under.  Most of the stuff i mill.  I do want a bigger pair though.  I have one from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company that was sold as 36", but are crazily made.  I have a buddy with a muffler pipe bender so i might be able to make them have the right bend.
KP

Qweaver

Quote from: captain_crunch on February 15, 2010, 02:08:21 AM
Maybe a Dumb guestion but what you guys got against skidding logs with a chocker Tongs were made for lifting logs. And since Horse logging days have not been used around here for skidding since

For those us us with manual mills without a de-barker, skidding logs through the dirt, mud and rocks is avoided if at all possible.  This was one of the deciding factors when I bought my JD 110 with a thumb on the backhoe.  I can pickup a 24" 16' log and set it on the trailer or move it to where I can get the forks under it.  That's probably too slow for production timbering but works good for my little operation where I am mainly cutting timber for my own use.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

bandmiller2

Even draging one end is hard on mill teeth with embeded grit,some of it can't be helped.What we did was cut the logs in early winter buck to legnth then wait for snow cover to yard them out.Had an old Oliver OC6 with a skidding attachment I made.Used to enjoy skidding at night with good lights on our wood roads.Best method was to cable haul them to the trailer in light snow used tongs we bought from belsaw.Before you mill time spent cleaning with a wire brush or axe is time well spent.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

captain_crunch

Dovetails
Here are a couple more pics

And a bigger set yet

Two things I need to Improve #1 this is dual purpose dolly part arch and part dolly for wood splitter. #2 Stinger should be a little higher to use small snatch block rather then shive to allow for side pull next#3 axle needs to be reversed for more clearance and maybe moved ahead to put weight on tounge But this was an afternoon prototype but it does work
Brian

thecfarm

Not saying nothing bad and you probably had a reason for it that I don't see,but I would of flipped the axle over for more ground clearance.I like those straight axles for trailers.Like to find a few more of them.I have many rocks to go over on my land. Looks like a good set up you have there.I don't see a license plate on the back of the truck,so I suppose this is your woods buggy?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

captain_crunch

I wanted it fliped over but then the pin in hitch would have been too high for wood splitter to be level. But it will clear anything that the Rino will clear. We have a splitter on semi perm loan and if you leave it hooked to atv big chunks hit back of Momma's Buggy and I kinda like sleeping in house ;D ;D ;D

dovetails

Thanks for the photos! Thats what I thought it was, around here,thats a poor mans wrecker...  used to haul in junk cars to the scrap yards.Seen some awful heavy loads pulled with homemade rigs like that,some behind cars that weighed a lot les than the load..scarry!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Thank You Sponsors!