iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chugalugn Honda

Started by DextorDee, January 18, 2005, 11:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

My mill has a GX620 Honda . I was wondering if anybody has this motor on there mill. Mine want idle anymore. Started out it would idle down almost go dead and then speed up did this for a while. Now it want idle at all ,have to keep it rived up pretty high to keep it from going dead.  :(
I have change the in line filter, took the tank off and drained it,drained the carb bowl, put in new gas. Had a guy take the carb. off clean as a bell. ???
Runs fine as long as its running wide open jus want idle. >:(
About 2 years old not used very much.

Any suggestions ?? ???
Thanks
Ken

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

ohsoloco

My Norwood runs a GX620, and about a year or so after buying it I was having trouble with it idling as well.  For me it only happened when the engine was hot, and after completing a cut it would just die, or spit and sputter, or both  :(  I took it to a shop since it was still under warranty, and it turns out the coil was bad.  Runs like a top now  ;)

woodbeard

The GX620 on my peterson used to act similarly. Recently I replaced the centrifugal clutch because it had rusted up and was not releasing. With the new clutch, the engine will now run at an idle. I don't know what mill you have, but if it has a clutch mounted directly on the output shaft like mine, it might be worth checking.

RacinRex

don't forget one other small thing... Spark Plug. Probably not it but the 20 seconds to check and the 2-3 bux to replace may well be worth it... Check and make sure nothing built a nice litte home in  your exhaust.  I know these sound dumb but hey.... thats what ole jimbo is here for.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

bjorn

Hello DexterDee,

My 20 horse Honda also is about 2 years old, and also has the same problem.  I believe that this engine series may have some problems.  I bought my Turner bandsaw mill about 2 years ago with a 24 horse Honda of the same series.  It ran fine for about 40 hrs, then started to sputter and have problems.  I checked everything I could think of.  Even took gas tank off, drained and cleaned, put fresh gas in, replaced filters, spark plug, checked for blocked muffler, couldn't figure it out.  Called up Turner Mills.  They said that that others were having problems with same motor in a certain batch that had been delivered.  Suggested a contact local Honda dealer for Warranty work.  I did this, told them it was on a sawmill.  They said bring it in.  I did and when I pulled up with the mill they said their was no way they would do anything with it as long as motor was installed on mill.  So I drove home with mill.  Contacted Turner Mills again.  They said that they had a fresh 20 hp motor (GX620) in stock and were making a delivery in my area and would swap out if I wanted.  I needed my mill rumming so I agreed.  This one also ran well for about 40 hours, then started to sputter.  I was real frustrated but didn't know what to do.  Motor runs fine at full throttle, so that is how I run it.  

pasbuild

Theres a long history of the Honda 20 not idling and not running in cold weather, has to be a design problem because theres just to many of them out there with the same problem. Good luck getting Honda to go good for it. :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

McCormack

I have a TA Schmid with a 20hp Honda it does the same exact thing as you describe. It stated out it would idle ok after it was warm but it would die after I idled it down after a cut. I could keep it running though if I idled down real slow and pumped the choke a couple of times. But as time goes on the problem seems to be worsening >:(. Now it wont idle at all and it seems like its starving for fuel even at full throttle.

ohsoloco

Ken, is your engine over two years old now?  I think that is how long the warranty is on those engines isn't it  ???   It took some hunting around on the web, and a few phone calls to Honda to find the place to get it serviced (Amish place over in the next valley  ::)  ).  I took the whole mill over there, and they had no problems working on it while it was on the mill.  Glad mine was just a coil problem...I've never had problems with mine acting up in cold weather (I use the cold air kit).  Last year I had my fingers crossed when I went out to fire up the mill when the temp was just under zero...no prob  ;D

sawmillsi

Hi guys,

My family are the Australian agents for Peterson mills and for the past 8 years we have really only sold Honda's (on the mills).

We have only ever had a problem with the small breather on the top of the carby blocking up, Honda (through Petersons) sent out an upgrade (a little hose with a filter) and this has fixed this problem.

The centrivical clutch, however, when not maintained will cause problems. The locking plate on the back of the clutch will seize if it is not lubricated causing the motor to idle badly as the blade is constantly engauged.

Petersons have made a small modification to change this problem.

I would suggest, no matter how old the motor, that you take the motor to your local Honda dealer and let them help you. If you are not satisfied with the help, contact either your regional Honda centre or national Honda centre and speak to the service manager (in Australia they will do almost anything to make a customer happy).

Good luck

Simon

CosmoPack

Sawmillsi,

What kind of modification have yopu made to the clutch?  When was this change made?  I just purchased a used Peterson WPF that was built in 2002.  There seems to be alot of noise coming from the clutch area.  What kind of maintenance is required of the clutch?  I haven't seen any information on clutch maintenance in my manuals.

ohsoloco

I was wondering the same thing, Cosmo.  How should the clutch be lubricated and maintained  ???

woodbeard

I believe he is referring to the part that looks like a cover plate for the clutch. It is threaded onto a hub in the middle where the bolt goes thru. This plate grabs the clutch drum and keeps the blade from spinning after the motor is shut off. It is supposed to let go when the motor is started again, but if the threads rust in the closed position, it will stay that way. That is the part that needs lubrication. Don't get any oil inside the clutch, though. just those threads. The plate only turns a fraction of a turn, about a half inch at the rim, so the clearance between it and the drum at open position is around 1/16" or so.

Captain

Chris, noise about the clutch at idle when the blade is not spinning is a good sign, it means your clutch brake is working correctly and not stuck.  It sounds a bit bad and metallic in nature, but trust me...that is what you want....

Captain

WV_hillbilly

I have one of these 20 HP hondas also . It seems to be a cold natured beast too . I have heard about this cold weather kit but haven't been able to find one . The local honda dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him the question  about it . What all does this kit include ?
Hillbilly

pasbuild

The cold weather kit is basically a two part kit containing a thin piece of plastic that covers the air intake restricting air flow and a metal shield that bolts to the muffler and hangs over the air intake (air filter) allowing the heat from the muffler to pre heat the air, this kit helps with the icing problem in the carb but does not help with the idling problem.

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Pasbuild ,    My motor is fine until the temp goes below 35 F  .  if you feather the throttle back when its  below 35  it usually won't quit . Almost like a 2 stage throttle down  to stop the blade from turning cause it has a centrifugal clutch .
Hillbilly

sabre_tooth

hi everyone just put new 13 honda on my mill last fall have not run very little .is this motor known for this problem also .thanks guys

pasbuild

The 13 has been a champ as far as I know, its just been the 20 that has the problems.
Its my understanding that the Honda 20 was designed to meet California emissions and in doing so wound up with the cold weather and idling problems. I tryed to get Honda to work with me but got no were >:(

DextorDee

I think it is a two year warranty. My mill is going on three years old.
bjorn, I thought about calling Turner to see if they knew of a fix sounds like you already tried that .
Theres no clutch on it so theres no load when the blade is not engaged.
It runs fine at full power just want idle. :( It cranks ok a little cold natured but not a problem.
From what i can see, not a lot of adjustment on it , it either works or don't. The don't seems to be working  :'(

Thanks for the suggestions and replys.
Maybe's it time to sell and git me a mill with a bigger motor and less manual options.

Thanks guys
Ken

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Jim_Wahl

Hi Folks,

I know this has been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it
in this thread, so maybe it is an entirely different
problem anyway, but one problem I have had with my GX670 is:
If you fill with the recommended amount of oil, the engine
has trouble developing enough vacuume to run the fuel pump.
It calls for 2.1 quarts but if you put about 1.5 qt (above
the minimum mark of course, but just a little), then it runs
just fine.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

RacinRex

Wow... thats wierd, but low vacuume would definately cause that stumbling at idle and run OK up top. Good call!!! I love the information on here  :P
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

DextorDee

Must agree that is wierd, So, does that mean its a bad designed motor? And no real fix?
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

ohsoloco

I remember the guy that worked on my motor said there aren't any adjustments on the carb to work with  ???  Guess this is to keep the emissions on the level  ::)  

There was also a sheet that came with the motor that warned against over filling the engine oil cuz it could cause problems...maybe this is why?

D._Frederick

Go to an auto parts store and buy an electric fuel pump for your honda engine, that way you know that the engine is not being starved.

Thank You Sponsors!