iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular Blade and Foley Belsaw Parts Question

Started by HOGFARMER, May 12, 2010, 11:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

Have a Foley Belsaw M-14 which has a 46" insert tooth blade which has not been used in quite a while.  Getting ready to take the blade to a sawmill blade Doc for a check up.  What do I need to tell him other that the mill will be powered with a farm tractor PTO?

Also need one log dog complete for the center knee.  Have two but the center one only has the post that sticks up.  Does anyone have an extra or a parts mill?  Thanks!
Manual LT-30

Ron Wenrich

The saw doc is going to need to know if its a left or right handed mill.  If the logs come in on the right side when the carriage is back for loading, that's a right handed mill.  He's also going to need to know what rpm you'll be running.  Your PTO speed would be the key, if its a direct 1:1 relationship.  If you're going through pulleys, then he'll have to have those pulley sizes to figure out the speed.

Can't help you on your dog search. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Hogfarmer,540 is the standard PTO speed and would be good to have the saw hammered to that speed, if your going to run it with your tractor.Most belsaws are right hand machines,that gives you proper rotation from a tractor PTO.Saw smith will also need to know whether the bearings are babbit or anti-friction ball/roller.Yours would be ball bearings.Ask his advice on the shanks and bits,replace if worn.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

Try Timber King for your missing log dog. Last time I ordered parts for my Bellsaw I believe they had a few left.

Tripp

bandmiller2

Anouther option for the "lost dog" is to make it yourself, or someone you know whoes handy with metal.Frank C.

apm

Hogfarmer, you may have solved your problem already, but there's a Belsaw M14 log dog on ebay right now. Don't see them come up very often.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

HOGFARMER

Manual LT-30

Meadows Miller

Gday

APM You beat me to it I saw one with a shank spanner on there too the other night Mate  ;) ;D

Hogfarmer as Ron said the pto speed will be key if its a 540 to 600rpm pto of the back of the tractor you should be fine hooking it trait upto your mill if its not just gear it down through pulleys ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave_

Sorry guys, but I bought the dog on ebay  :)  At least I kept it in the family :D

Lambee10

My Belsaw does not have a middle dog.  Is is suppose to have one?  I dont Think I remember it in the pictures on the manual.
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

reride82

Lambee,

It depends on how long your carriage is. I have a 10 foot carriage with only 2 dogs, and a 12 foot carriage with 3 dogs on it. I have seen a carriage that had 5 dogs on it but I don't remember how long that one was.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

Hogfarmer,theirs a good chance there was never a dog on that center upright but it would be handy for short logs.Most of us part time sawyers tend to overdog, that is too many and too tight.Most full time handset sawyers I' ve watched use one dog but I'am sure if a log was unstable they would use more.As with so many things in life you find what you want when your not really looking,one will show up. Frank C.

tractormanNwv

Keep in mind that a PTO on a tractor turns the opposite of the crankshaft in the engine, if my feable mind is thinking straight....if you hook it directly to a left hand mill it will be proper, but on a right hand mill when you back up to the mandral shaft it will be turning just the opposite that you need.

Jim

bandmiller2

You got it right Jim,Belsaw mills work with a tractor PTO because the tractor is located on the backside of the mill,they are a right handed mill.A left hand mill can be driven with PTO on the sawyers side of the mill. Frank C.

captain_crunch

I have 2 carrages so ended up with 4 dogs but with 14 ft carrage i generally only set front and back dogs and with 10 ft and shorter logs only use front and middle So you could live with 2 dogs and be ok. What I done is build 2 sets of spikes 1 Original length and one set 3 in for big logs
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!