iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sciatic Nerve

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 11, 2016, 07:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm in pain most of the time.
This has been going on for most of the time for about 2 months.
From what I've researched, its my Sciatic Nerve.

Has anybody else had this nerve giving them trouble????
I have to sleep flat on my back.
Hurts to drive and I have to walk funny to keep it from killing me.
Its my left back leg.

I'm going to the doctor this week if I can get in.  smiley_old_guy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

breederman

My daughter has had a hip replacement and one day I was complaining about pain running down my leg when driving . She went and got a broom and had me lay on the floor . Bend your knees up so that your lower legs are parallel with the floor. Stick the broom handle under the knee on the pain side. ( Your left ) and in front of the other one . With your hands pull towards you against your left knee and push against your right one . I do 4 or 5 reps and pain gone. Works for me !
Together we got this !

WDH

Not good, David.  Sounds like a disc problem  :).  I had it too and had back surgery in 1988 for a ruptured disc. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I can only wish the broom stick trick will work for ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ricker

I get the same pain in my left leg 4-5 times a year, doc says it's the sciatic . Lasts a week to a month plus.  I find sleeping on my right side with an electric blanket on the left leg and hip seems to help with sleeping.  Doc says deal with it until you can't and we will schedule a Mri and see if we can find where the problem is. Could be in the back or hip he said.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just tried the broom.....it didn't work.
Then I tried the mop....it didn't work either.
I'll try my Logrite Cant Hook tomorrow.  :'(

breederman

Together we got this !

Dan_Shade

Get it checked out, nerve pain can become permanent....

I have had sciatic pain twice, the first time caused while unloading cross ties from my pickup, the second (and worst) time while playing catch with a five year old.

Physical therapy helped me out; also,  I  am also extremely cautious when lifting.

Pulling a slab off and twisting around to toss it on the ground beside the mill can easily blow your back out.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I feel for ya Dan. There is no doubt in my mind it is from picking up White Oak Slabs.
I've hurt my back before but I'm hard headed. I try to watch what I pick up but sometimes its not the weight but the angle I grab and move a slab.

All jokes aside.....Breederman, I just tried the broom stick again. I actually pulled the knee up until I felt a lot of pain and I just held the broom there for about 7-8 seconds.
I did 5 reps like that....it does work.
For how long I don't know. But if the nerve starts to bother me at the mill tomorrow.....I'll hit the ground with a stick and do it again. Thanks.

chet

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2016, 08:34:24 PM
Not good, David.  Sounds like a disc problem  :).  I had it too and had back surgery in 1988 for a ruptured disc. 

Agree with Danny, My first back surgery in 1989 for a ruptured disc cured it. In my case it may have cured it too good.  :D  Ever since the surgery the calf of my right leg has remained numb.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

breederman

That's good to hear. Mine is because my hip gets tilted and apparently that trick brings it back into position . I also use an inversion table for back pain .
Together we got this !

Raider Bill

Get a inversion table. Your back will thank me. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

The Doctor told Pat that she waited too long before seeking help because the disc fragments had done some permanent damage to the nerve.  Repairing the disc cured the sciatic pain, but now her toe hurts.  The toe had nothing to do with anything, but nerves have a mind of their own and do not like to be pinched.

She saved the broom handle to use on me.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 12, 2016, 08:58:51 AM

She saved the broom handle to use on me.   :o

My pain only goes to my ankle.
I felt it in my hip, calve and ankle. It skipped my knee all together.
The broom stick drill seems to still be working. No nerve pain but a little tightness in my hip.

****Keep him in line PatD.  :D******

Magicman

She never had any foot/toe pain before the back surgery.  She woke up from the surgery with a terrible pain, and the nurses, etc. thought that her back was hurting from the surgery.  She finally got them to understand that her pain had nothing to do with the back, it was her toe.  Nerves are strange things.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ed_K

Talk to your doctor and get an MRI. That will be the best way to find out what's wrong. I ruptured a lower disk in Dec 1994, and had it operated on in Mar. By the time they decided to operate the nerve was almost severed, the doctor told us that if I had waited one more week I wouldn't have walked again. Sometimes you can take steroid's and that will calm down the pain. I've had to go that route twice since for falling down when working out in the woods.
I'm in some pain right now from the dreaded snow snake that tripped me yesterday. Getting to where winter is just plain mean.
Ed K

kensfarm

Poston I hope you feel better.. 

Can't sleep because of back pain.. lay on your side.. w/ a pillow against your back.. and the pillow against the headboard or wall for tension..  position a hand massager where the pain is.. the pillow holds it in place.  Really helps numb out the pain so you can fall asleep. 

doctorb

Poston-

At our age (I got a few on ya') it's usually a combination of disc herniation and narrowing of the spinal canal and foramina due to arthritis.  As the disc collapses, it can rupture back toward the neural elements and irritate them.  But the disc degeneration causes the vertebrae to come closer together (why we shrink with age), which makes the facet joints angry.  They hypertrophy and narrow the escape routes out of the spinal canal where the nerves run.  Are you taking anti-inflamatories 24/7?  If not, you should be.  If you have weakness of the muscle groups in the leg, a steroid dose pack might be in order. 

I had my discectomy a couple of years ago.  My back is way, way better, but it's not normal and it's not what it was before my disc ruptured.

As suggested, you need an MRI.  But what you really need is some time to rest this thing, let the irritation subside, and then slowly regain your life.  I'm sure you have as much time for that as I do!

Hope you feel better.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

BradMarks

Had my microdisectomy 6 yrs ago. Not perfect but soooooooo much better than before, pretty much what the surgeon said to expect.   Symptoms were typical before surgery, pain down the leg that wrapped around the calf and numb soles of the feet.  Couldn't drive 1 block w/o pain, my 3 mile commute to work always ended with me hanging onto the door and swinging my right leg around until the feeling would come back.  If you need surgery your pain threshold (w/o drugs) will let you know. Finally, I knew. MRI revealed the damage and Doc said a steroid injection would just be a mask. Had the surgery and Doc said the nerve was crushed flat by the disc, rather severe. Recovery is what you make of it, I went at it too hard and fast, so I did have setbacks. Finally(months later) went to PT and learned the "exercising" at work (lifting,etc) was detrimental to the wrong places and I needed to mitigate that with other exercises, which are mostly stretching.  So I still have "flare-ups" (numb ball of foot), always seem to be associated with heavy loads(40-50lbs+) and how far they need to be carried. Stop and rest, goes away. When stretching regularly, hardly ever happens.  Best stretch for me, and not for everyone, is flat on the back on the bed, and bringing the legs(first left, then right) to the perpendicular position, and hold it there until you can't. If I have been lax in the stretching regimen, a hand behind the calf helps to get to vertical.  This is not pain free, but works for me.  Have not tried the broomstick, but whatever works is the objective. Others I'm sure have their own success stories, and I'm sure others not so good.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Doc and to the rest of you also.
This is not a problem one can say...I'll deal with it later. Gotta be dealt with now!  :D :D :D

I can saw all day and as long as I am walking behind the miil, I'm fine.
But let me get on the backhoe or have to drive my pickup somewhere....OMG!....Its like electricity going through my leg and I'm about ready to shoot myself.

A lot of times BAM....it seems to go away and I have hours of relief and I think its getting better.
But then I may just move the wrong way and its like I didn't see the train coming because the lights weren't flashing.

Breedermans broome suggestion helps a little but is not a permanent fix.
I'm gonna make an appointment with my Doctor John "Long Finger' Hoitink.

WDH

I am in considerable pain tonight.  It rained all day and I could not run the mill, so I wore rubber slip-on shoes and not the steel toes that I normally wear.  Had a big pecan slab fall and hit on the left foot, smashing my big toe.  It is swollen and that quarter of my foot has turned black, blue, purple, and red.  Constant throbbing pain.  Probably not much sleep tonight   :'(.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats awful Danny......what we go through to make a dollar. :o

chet

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 13, 2016, 07:01:30 PM

Not ta be critical, but I don't think a proctologist is da right Doc ta see for yer back pain. Then again it may be just what you need.  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

thecfarm

That Pecan got ya. That will teach you to play with it.  :D  It gots the devil in it. Now if you would of had your steel toes boots on,the devil would not of done that.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chet on December 13, 2016, 09:14:23 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 13, 2016, 07:01:30 PM

Not ta be critical, but I don't think a proctologist is da right Doc ta see for yer back pain. Then again it may be just what you need.  :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!