iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Well done on the decking, very professional to show case the decked wood on the landing. One never knows when the media will be taking pictures. ;)
~Ron

Ken

Am I the only one foolish enough to sell 4' wood?  A local greenhouse heats 2 outdoor boilers and uses about 150 cord/year.  He pays well although it is a lot of work on our end.  Been a client of mine for the past 3 years.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

we used to here. i hauled a lot of it. 4ft sp that was slashed wasnt all that bad. and it was stick scale

lopet

I used to have a couple of guys with out door boilers, but only about 15 cord each. One got a little lazy and put up a feed bin and now burns either corn or pellets, where ever he gets the better deal. The other guy sold the property, never heard  who bought it.  In my case it was a lot of manual labor and I don't miss that part.
I mean, it all depends what your setup is. I assume you buck the logs on the landing with your processor and load and unload with your grapple loader then I think it can't be that bad.
I would probably  hang on to a customer like that, then you never know if logging will slow down again. Just my 2 cents. 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

There used to be pallet mills in the area that bought 38", 42", 46", 50", and 72".  They're all closed now.  Fifties were my favorite.  We loaded them by hand.  I had a loader tractor but it was faster by hand.  To be young and foolish again ;)  I've had inquiries about long wood for boilers but won't do anything longer that 22".
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

huskyxp

I remember cutting 4' pulp which they would load on trailers here in Yarmouth and ship across to maine by ferry :) be nice if  US market was still a option.

thecfarm

Boise,in Rumford Maine only took 4 foot back in '93. I think they use to stick scale it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

huskyxp

Some reason I'm thinkin it went from bar harbour to bucksport , but not sure

snowstorm

Quote from: huskyxp on January 13, 2015, 09:54:32 PM
Some reason I'm thinkin it went from bar harbour to bucksport , but not sure
yes you are right. the mill was st regis later champion then  ip  then verso  now closed. the mill also owned several thousand ac around yarmouth

coxy

do they still own the land if so what do they do with it

Maine logger88

Been cutting some hemlock the last couple days it's smaller stuff but I need to clean up this corner of the lot
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

dsgsr

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 14, 2015, 05:49:17 PM

Been cutting some hemlock the last couple days it's smaller stuff but I need to clean up this corner of the lot

Really nice looking piles, where you cutting.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Maine logger88

David-L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

coxy

first pics look like cherry    yes nice piles

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on January 14, 2015, 04:21:17 PM
do they still own the land if so what do they do with it
when it was champion they owned it. then when they sold to the IP they sold the land . this is what i was told and he worked for the mill so he should know

barbender

Nice looking landing, Mainecutter ;) (Or whatever you folks call it up there-header?)
Too many irons in the fire

Maine logger88

Thank you. We call it a yard in this area. Different meaning than door yard btw lol! Tho I have put my yard in a dooryard before haha!

barbender

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 16, 2015, 07:25:42 PM
Thank you. We call it a yard in this area. Different meaning than door yard btw lol! Tho I have put my yard in a dooryard before haha!

Yeah, you  Mainiacs already helped with the interpretation of "dooryard" and "dustpan" ;)
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

Here that would be called a yard. Logs are skidded out and loaded at the landing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

whiskers

Quote from: coxy on January 07, 2015, 06:59:37 PM
thanks for the info    do you have a pic of a turpentine tree never heard of one  ;D

stump from a turpentine tree felled before the mid fiftys when a forest fire burned through this place. I fetched it in from out back, thought it looked a bit more appealing than a pt 4x4 for the street numbers. this area was known for stills, turpentine and moonshine. turpentine ended years ago, moonshine not so much.
link with pics from the good ole days  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine   
many irons in the fire.........

1270d

Cut some nice pines today.   This is about a cord shy of the whole tree

Another load on the way to the road

Maine logger88

Nice looking pine! About how many ft to a load?

1270d

I think about 3000 ft on the forwarder is a big load.  The bottom log in the first pic scaled 1100 Scribner.

Maine logger88

Thank You Sponsors!