iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging with a Tractor

Started by Rob30, February 10, 2018, 06:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

I have read through many posts on this topic and want to get more information.
Most posts I have read state that they can cut and skid about 2000 bft per day. I imagine that would depend greatly on species and tree size. I am currently cutting spruce, about 14-19 inches at the but. So I am figuring that translates into about 10 trees a day. Not a big number really. If I were to do a tandem load on that would translate into about 10 days of work.
Does this sound reasonable?
I don't seem to ever be able to get ten trees done, I am usually 5-8 trees. I am select cutting, I spend much time picking my trees, especially since I am using a skid plate not a winch. I have to be careful ensuring I fell each tree in  a way I can reach it easily.

DaleK

Depends on the tractor and the conditions. I do quite a bit better than that usually, but I have 120 hp, 4x4 and I can usually skid 3-4 good sized trees on a pull.

Have you tried marking a bunch of trees up front and then dropping a bunch at a time? The transition really eats up time
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

thecfarm

A 3 pt winch will make the job ALOT easier and quicker.  BUt they are pricey,BUT they should last years more than what you care about.   ;D  I have a Norse 450 behind a 40hp tractor. We use to haul out some big pine with it. Kinda hard to remember what we use to get done,my Father and me was both cutting on the land I live on. We was very fussy with how we cut,and cutting the limbs short and making the roads kinda smooth. So that takes time too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Welcome to the FF Rob30. I have a tractor and winch. My rate is closer to your 5 to 8 trees a day. A lot depends on your site and what you are trying to do with it. I do a lot of single tree or small group cutting. It takes time to plan out and lay a tree down, avoiding keep trees, limbing it, winching the hitch together, again protecting keep trees. Then  skidding out and bucking up. I know I am slow but 2000 ft a day sounds like a lot to me. A couple pics of a typical spruce in  my site to give you an idea.

gg

DDW_OR

Quote from: Rob30 on February 10, 2018, 06:27:06 PM
I have read through many posts on this topic and want to get more information.
Most posts I have read state that they can cut and skid about 2000 bft per day. I imagine that would depend greatly on species and tree size. I am currently cutting spruce, about 14-19 inches at the but. So I am figuring that translates into about 10 trees a day. Not a big number really. If I were to do a tandem load on that would translate into about 10 days of work.
Does this sound reasonable?
I don't seem to ever be able to get ten trees done, I am usually 5-8 trees. I am select cutting, I spend much time picking my trees, especially since I am using a skid plate not a winch. I have to be careful ensuring I fell each tree in  a way I can reach it easily.

Tractor: Make, model, HP, and is it 4x4?

what i have
Mahindra, 5520, 51 HP, 4x4
pallet forks on the FEL (Front End Loader) and a Farmi JL501 PTO winch rated for 11,000 pull
http://www.farmiwinch.com/products/jl501/
set up your FEL to use the skidsteer quick attachment. I did not and wish i had.

I cut for myself, and do not sell.

FYI, i have heard a lot of good about the wallenstein winch
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/fx85-skidding-winch
I like that it has a trailer hitch.
that would allow adding a 16' flatbed trailer, when you go into the woods for some logs.
"let the machines do the work"

JesseA

I have a 3600 pound buggy with an electric 8000 pound which with about 60 feet of cable, two sliders, and a short boom for loading logs.  I cut to length in the woods and if it's heavy I'm taking one piece at a time.  I've usually got a crappy skid all uphill so far. 

That's probably 1100 board feet, but two of them I didn't take because I figured they wouldn't make #2.
It's been a while since I spent a whole day and took note of my production pulling with a 3600 pound buggy not a tractor. I did 800 over the course of four or five hours. And probably a tree's worth of logs every hour and a half or two.  So I'd think 2000 is reasonable for a tractor, with a winch and good ground, if you had a winch so youre not fighting with rigging logs in close. Lots of variables.  Flat ground with straight roads, and straight wood helps.

mike_belben

Hows the winch handle it jesse?  Can you pull whole tree or will the rig just slide?
Praise The Lord

JesseA

Most stuff over 20 inches on the big end has to be less than 20 feet,or it's not going anywhere.  That's usually fine because the two places I sell to take pine to 16 ft 6 inches so I usually cut to that if I can. The last couple loads have been all 14-6 and 12-6.  12 inches and down I can take two 50 footers as long as footing is good and it's not too steep.

Firewood gets cut 16-20 ft and I'll take 5 if I can manage it; two choked into each keyhole slider and one choked on the mainline. If the logs are real little like 4-6 inches I'll choke more of them with the nylon slings and shackle or snap hook them to the mainline too bringing me to seven or eight. 

An electric winch would probably do the Rob30 a good service since he could then bring the logs to the tractor and not the other way around. 

Rob30 does your tractor have hydraulic outlets on the back? Is there anyway you could add a hydraulic capstan winch like the Norwood skidding attachment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP4E2k80tfU&sns=em

Stephen Alford

Hey Rob , is it possible for you to be a little more specific as to what type of information would be most helpfull to you ?  Time management ,  technique ,  site factors ,  product ,  gear  ... personal...tractors...implements , producton numbers , integrating forestry with farm and family etc. I am a bit of a "compulsive talker" and have joined on and on and on  anon ...... so a wee bit of guidance from you could shorten the help process...
logon

mike_belben

Same here.  Yapping all day is my fave

Jesse, sounds like youre the first guy to ever get a cent back out of his rockcrawler!  I still have some of my nissan.  Just the portion that would be useful as a skidder with a center joint and a pair of 14Bolts.  I kept H1s and the 36" goodyears because of their cheapness and load rating.  Think i have enough left for some 3/8" diamond chains.  Still have doubled toyota transmissions and enough parts for a #120 chain dropbox.  And a bunch of 1-3/8 6 spline pto shafts and slip yokes.  Sold all the other junk.
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

Quote from: Rob30 on February 10, 2018, 06:27:06 PM
I am select cutting, I spend much time picking my trees, especially since I am using a skid plate not a winch. I have to be careful ensuring I fell each tree in  a way I can reach it easily.

If I'm understanding correctly than the above is why you're a little slower than some other chaps. Most of them posting are using a winch which I would see as a huge advantage for accessing the tree and getting it up to the tractor for skidding. I ain't no expert just wanted into the discussion to do some learnin.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

JesseA

It's only taken me a decade to get there Mike!

Rob30 we need some more info from you.

47sawdust

A skid plate wood never work in my terrain.If that is all you have to work with and can afford,then you are doing well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!