iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good grammar

Started by rjwoelk, January 13, 2019, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I keep hearing people talk about what,
Me and (name of person involved did)
I was taught to say the persons name first. This seems to come from the now generation. The ones that feel intitled perhaps.  I guess not paying attention in grammar class.
Just feeling grouchy about it. Hope this is not the start of being a grouch old man.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

U no that ain't who dis means.  :D  #talkright
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

I just had a miserable tarping job. And well its like banging your tumb stubing the toe the cows get out they go all directions the dog gets going and sends them to the neighbours field. You yell at him he refuses to to do anything after that. Well you know the feeling. ::)
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

Oh - do I ever!!  This winter to add insult to injury while chasing the cows you will get your boot stuck in the mud and run out of it, while trying to hop back to your boot and avoiding putting your sock in the mud your other foot suddenly will slip and down you will go in the mud while managing to still hold your foot in the air.  Of course you can't stand up with only one foot at which point you have to intentionally set your sock into the mud, about the time you do that the neighbor drives up and yells at you that your cows are in his front yard.... :(  Oh look - I just set my hand into a fresh patty....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

:D :D :D :D :D I remember those days from when I was growing up on the farm. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

coalsmok

So.....it's not just me who's been having that kind of fun.
You know the kind where a roll gets away and tears down a panel of fence, then when you do get it to where your going you watch a cow tear another panel down instead of walking through the gate 30' down the fence. Yay🙄

Magicman

I always try to use correct grammar but there are times when I fall off of the wagon.  There are also times when I intentionally use "Colloquial Redneck English" just for the heck of it.  smiley_dizzy 

Now I was raised on a farm so I have heard all of the "words" and how to put them together when dealing with livestock.  :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Sadly I've been through just about every scenario you can imagine with cows out during wet weather. Nothing like being stuck to your boot tops and an angry angus bull giving you the side eye, stamping his foot and swinging his head!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Runningalucas

Yup, I 'seen' that too... ::)
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 13, 2019, 09:28:02 PMNothing like being stuck to your boot tops and an angry angus bull giving you the side eye, stamping his foot and swinging his head

Actually now that you mention it there is.  About a decade ago I was helping a guy who owned a "mini" stallion - he was definitely a tiny guy in statue but not heart.   We were in the paddock with the little guy when Tom bent over to pick something up - did not take but a second and that stud horse attempted to do what stud horses do.... I was not able to assist with the predicament as I was laughing too hard to be of any value while Tom was screaming like a girl and doing his best to beat feet for the fence.  It was a toss up trying to decide who made more of a fuss - Tom or the stud.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

:D :D :D :D that would be funny.
When I was running sheep.
30 below and trying to walk let alone run. Frozen Roller bearings all over the place. Reminds me of a funny song. You cant roller skate in a buffalo herd.

rjwoelk

Had the ram run at me . I got a pail of water and threw it in his face the next time he tried that. Fixed his little red wagon.

YellowHammer

I notice on the TV shows when southern people, speaking very clearly, get closed captioning, so people can read and understand what they are saying.

But yet they won't caption the folks with the "non southern" accent, who are almost impossible for me to understand.  I tell my wife "Those folks talk funny". :D

I was in Australia several years ago, conducting a business meeting, everybody professional and quiet, everybody dressed in suits and ties, and all of a sudden, my Australian counterparts, (great folks) just started spontaneously laughing.  I asked them what happened, and they replied although they spoke English, my accent was so heavy, they couldn't understand a word of what I was saying.   :D :D  

So one of the guys, who had spent some time in Alabama, became my "official" interpreter, and we all had a good laugh, because that let me reel off some heavy Southern Speak that would even blank him out.  It was a meeting I'll never forget, and I think about it now, as an example where a bunch of people who are different can have fun over their differences, instead of getting all offended.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rjwoelk

Robert I dont have any trouble understanding you folks or even the french up here. In my guiding job I had it was the scottish troop that I had for 5 days that I was completely clueless on. But so were the British troops. They apparently could understand me. Lol

Andries

Yep, Yellowhammer mentions 'heavy Southern Speak'.
It's more than an accent, it's like another language. 
At Custom Sawyer's project get togethers in Georgia, there's a whole lot that gets said that flies right over my head.
My wife and I compare notes at the end of each day, to see which one of us has  figured out the most and the best expressions. 
"could you say that agin,  cause y'all talk so purdy". 
Dang, I'm such a charmer! . . . or maybe it's just that nobody understands a word that I say?
😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

But I can read and understand what you write very well.  :P  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: rjwoelk on January 14, 2019, 08:54:00 AMRobert I dont have any trouble understanding you folks or even the french up here. In my guiding job I had it was the scottish troop that I had for 5 days that I was completely clueless on. But so were the British troops. They apparently could understand me. Lol
Ditto that! I worked many overseas projects with several Scots and with that heavy broque I always had to have them repeat everything a time or two. In Norway I carpooled daily with a Scot - great guy, totally incomparable to understand.

Edit: Lynn, some languages are written in a standard form but spoken in different dialects. I understand that is the case with Chinese and know it was with Arabic. Saudi or Iraqi Arabic had a sound like a J while the Egyptians pronounced it as a G sound. When written all Arabic readers understood the meaning, when spoken not so much.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

alan gage

Quote from: rjwoelk on January 13, 2019, 06:29:42 PM
I keep hearing people talk about what,
Me and (name of person involved did)
I was taught to say the persons name first. This seems to come from the now generation. The ones that feel intitled perhaps.  I guess not paying attention in grammar class.
Just feeling grouchy about it. Hope this is not the start of being a grouch old man.
It's not a hard and fast rule although most people think it is.
The way you determine whether to say "me and Johnny" as opposed to "Johnny and I" is to try leaving Johnny out of the sentence. You then add Johnny to either 'I' or 'me'.
For instance the sentence: "I went to the store" would turn into "Johnny and I went to the store."
But the sentence: "Would you like to go to the store with me" would turn into "Would you like to go to the store with me and Johnny?"
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

GAB

Mr. rjwoelk:
Sir if you are seeking a site with proper (whatever that is) grammer , punctuation, spelling, etc. I am sorry to have to inform you that you are not visiting the right site/forum.  Note: I'm guilty of all those offenses myself.
However if you are seeking information on many subjects you are on the right site/forum.

SS Logger:
Concerning your statement: "Oh look - I just set my hand into a fresh patty...."  In northern VT we refer to those as meadow muffins.

MM:
"Colloquial Redneck English"  Is there a dictionary for that and what is the ISBN #?
Now I was raised on a farm so I have heard all of the "words" and how to put them together when dealing with livestock.  Now I can say the same in both french and english.

Sawyer Ted:
Concerning your statement:  Nothing like being stuck to your boot tops and an angry angus bull giving you the side eye, stamping his foot and swinging his head!  If that had been my dad's bull he would have either gotten a ring in his nose and a 2 to 3 foot long piece of ΒΌ" chain (that usually helps in adjusting their attitude) or a one way ride to the slaughter house.

I spent 5 years as a service engineer for a power boiler manufacturer and spent some time in the south.  As time went on I got better at understanding what was said.  Seba Beach, Alberta in January is very cold, and Crystall River, Florida in June is hot. 

GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

samandothers

Quote from: alan gage on January 14, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
For instance the sentence: "I went to the store" would turn into "Johnny and I went to the store."
But the sentence: "Would you like to go to the store with me" would turn into "Would you like to go to the store with me and Johnny?"
Alan
Alan,
I was with ya until this point.   In my learnin here in the south we always put others first!   So, 'Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?'    :D

rjwoelk

Gab i was not referin to this site. I was referin to people in public or were ever.  Here anything goes cause its mostly tongue in check expresions.  ;D

alan gage

Quote from: samandothers on January 14, 2019, 12:12:21 PM
Alan,
I was with ya until this point.   In my learnin here in the south we always put others first!   So, 'Would you like to go to the store with Johnny and me?'    :D
You might have a point there. I thought the original poster was concerned about people using 'me' instead of 'I' but rereading it I see they actually meant what you say here, that the other person should come first regardless of whether it's 'I' or 'me'.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

rjwoelk

Allan
That is what i thought i said. Well it is what i ment. Yup you got it. :D

GAB

Quote from: rjwoelk on January 14, 2019, 01:44:29 PM
Gab i was not referin to this site. I was referin to people in public or were ever.  Here anything goes cause its mostly tongue in check expresions.  ;D
Sorry about that I sure misread it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

alan gage

Quote from: rjwoelk on January 14, 2019, 02:26:30 PM
Allan
That is what i thought i said. Well it is what i ment. Yup you got it. :D
Hope there wasn't any offense taken. I'd hate to upset a grouchy old man. :)
Alan

Thank You Sponsors!