iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Top Table with Log Legs

Started by Mooseherder, September 07, 2010, 11:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I took a picture of this Spruce last summer.  
It was leaning from the previous winter and it was just a matter of time before it went down.  

When we got to the Camp in May it had gone all the way down and was blocking the trail down to the stream.  
I cut it into 16 foot lengths and hauled it up in front of the Mill carriage in anticipation of it was going to be the first log that was going to get milled on the Lane Mill project.
That all changed when we got to the Camp after the Pigroast and saw that we really needed to give the exterior of the camp some attention.  The porch wasn't going to hold up to another winter.  Replacing a few boards and posts on the porch led to a full blown out paint job of the whole camp with all the scraping, sanding, priming, trimming and painting.  We only vacationed a couple days and the Mill project will have to wait until 2011. ::)
After seeing what Jeff did with his log furniture and art I thought we might give it a try. :)
Our youngest just got their house and in their backyard is a nice Tiki Hut with no furniture.  She had mentioned wanting a table built so I had to give it a try.
I cut and peeled the logs bringing a few back to Fl. in case of a mess up.
These are all from the Spruce tree.  :)

So this is our first crack at log furniture that turned into a family project.  I asked them if the wanted a Round, square, rectangle or triangle table.   They opted for a triangle because they recently bought a similiar shape for their breakfast nook and thought the theme may match.

All 6 of us worked on it at some point which really made this a fun project for the family.
I was really getting a kick outta my Son in Laws with their excitement of it coming together.
We were taking turns with the drawknife and holding the piece while the other went to work on the shape.
It was some hot (and still is) so we had to take a few pool breaks. ;)
The top pieces are two by twelves.  We will disassemble tomorrow night and haul to their place hopefully it won't be raining.  One person in this picture didn't have a paint brush and was air painting for a photo opp.

I'll attach the trim boards under the 2x12s after the move.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Are you sure those legs are going to be strong enough. ;D
Looks like it was a fun project for the family. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fishpharmer

Knowing the source of the log makes a special project like that even better.

Turned out nicely. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

SwampDonkey

Nice project Moose and looks quite nice.

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 07, 2010, 11:31:01 PM
Knowing the source of the log makes a special project like that even better.

Yes, and all the way from northern Maine.  :) I wonder how that spruce will behave among all those palm trees?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Nice job Glenn  8)  8)  8)

That table looks sturdy enuff to ....um.......never mind  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Nice job , naturaly turned legs  :P I like it  !!!!

Had you not mentioned the air brusher , I don't think I would of noticed  :D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Wow!!! :o What a monster table. People on this forum think and do things in a big way. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Mooseherder

Thanks Everyone! :)
We just got back from installing.  It looks a little smaller now under the Tiki Hut.
The kids got a great deal on this house.  Some other family members came by to check out the house while we were there.
It was so hot I soaked another shirt.
The Tiki polls are 6x6 turned to look like Bamboo.

Warbird

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 08, 2010, 08:12:47 AM
That table looks sturdy enuff to ....um.......never mind  ::)  ::)

Make model butt impressions for other woodworking projects?  ;D  

Burlkraft

Warbird....... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Warbird

Mooseherder, the final pics look completely awesome.  Well done. 

WDH

That table is perfect for that setting.  It really looks comfortable there  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Mooseherder

I made a bench for one side of the table.
Just have to sand and stain tomorrow.
It was really hot again today working in the garage.  
I thought fall was here yesterday now it's summer again. ::)
We also bought 4 Chairs off Craigslist.  They weren't high enough but I rednecked them with 2x6s, cut out a pattern and they'll be high enough now. :D
The base is a little darker because I used pressure treated wood for the first one. It is real sturdy.
I'm gonna do the next with regular kiln dried for the next to see the difference.
I don't think a regular Joe will be able to pick out the 2x6 bottoms. ???

Norm

Now that's a table!

Won't have to worry about anyone stealing it while they're not looking. :D

Warbird

Nicely done on the bench and chairs.  It is difficult to tell from the pic but about how tall is that bench?

RynSmith

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 02, 2010, 10:43:26 PM
I don't think a regular Joe will be able to pick out the 2x6 bottoms. ???

2x6's???  Where???   :-X  :D

I like it.  :)

Mooseherder

The bench seat height is 31 inches.
We transported and put together at their Tiki hut tonight.
All 4 chairs are done up with 2x6 bases. ;D laugh_at
It came out nice and they're real happy about it.
I'm happy to make them happy. :)  ;)

Pilot1

Very nice job.  Nice table, nice setting.

And those crowns look good; I would expect good growth in the future.

Thank You Sponsors!