iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Identifying a log

Started by LittleJohn, April 29, 2015, 01:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleJohn

I will try to not make this as complicated as possible, since i do not have a picture?

So I live in East Central Minnesota (Pine County, Northern half to get specific)
While I was helping the old man clear up some wind damged trees from a few years I back.  I came across the following log; I say log cause there was no bark and it was starting to get soft.  I then got into a verbal arguement discussion about what type of tree it was; old man thinks it might be Butternut?
BTW, the corner of the 40 that we are in are mostly a mix of Poplar, Red Oak, Basswood, White Birch, 1 or 2 not so healthy Butternuts and other scrub trees; very few evergreens on this side of the 40

Here is my best description of the log;
The exterior of the log, minus bark, is fairly wavy but not from rot/warpage
Once split the inside of the wood, was almost red in color
..any thoughts as to what the tree might be??

Jeff

Anything anyone could offer will be no more than a guess, so I might as well chip in my guess as to the description. That is, if since you split it, if it split hard this is my guess.

Red Elm.  Why?

You'll find it mostly without its bark due to dutch elm disease, the grain is interlocking and can look wavy, it does exist in Minnesota, though it is in its upper range, and the heartwood can be quite brownish red.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!