iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sky scenes  

Started by Bibbyman, February 15, 2003, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I shot this picture looking south from our yard just at sundown in July of 93 - the year of the Great Flood.  This thunderhead dumped over 5" of rain in about 45 minutes on Linn, MO about 20 miles south of us.

Here is an elm tree in our front yard I caught with the early morning frost.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

IndyIan

Thought I'd add this pic, its my neighbors house.
You can't see in this pic but its log with 7 courses of squared logs and a 9 foot ceiling.  A good solid house! ;D

They have cedar shingles and timber framed porch as well, very nice how it blends into the landscape.

Mark M

Here is a picture I took on Untersberg near Salzburg Austria. Not really a sky picture, but you can see da sky.  :-/

Mark

Big image at http://www.pbase.com/image/13529271

Mark M

This one is pretty close to a "Sky" picture.

FiFi - the last flying B-29

Bro. Noble

Mark,

Is FI-FI part of the Confederate Airforce in Arkansas?

5 or 6 years I heard a strange noise and looked up,  a B-29 was flying over.  I told my son to take a good look and listen to that because he would probably never see or hear it again.  That night on the news they reported a B-29 coming into the Springfield, Mo. airport-----part of the Confederate Airforce.

We have Stealth bombers and B52's fly over in training all the time,  but that B-29 gave us a special thrill.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bibbyman

How's that big thing fly without it's props turnin'? ;D
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Hi Noble,

Yes I am sure it is the same plane. I think they changed the name to the Commemorative Air Force though. There is a website at http://www.cafb29b24.org/ that tells about this plane and Dimond Lil - the B24. They were in town this summer for about a week and I went down and took pictures when they took off. For about $300 you could fly in the 24 and I gave it some serious consideration. My dad flew B-17's and if I ever get the chance to fly in one of those I will. Here's another shot of FiFi. When I get a little time I'll upload some more to my Pbase page.

Mark

Mark M

I told them to stop the props when they got overhead so my pictures wouldn't be blurry.  :D

whitepe

Most nearly everyone knows that the Enola Gay was
the name of the B-29 that carried the atomic bomb
on that fateful day over Hiroshima on August 6, 1945. She was named by the pilot, Lt. Col. Paul W. Tibbets in honor of his mother, Enola Gay Haggard.  

However, most don't know the name of the B-29 that
carried the atomic bomb over Nagasaki.  That B-29 was named Bock's Car after it's usual commander,
Frederick Bock. But Bock's Car was piloted by
Major Charles W. Sweeney.  

Contrary to some myths. Now retired General Paul W. Tibbets did not commit suicide and piloted FI-FI in 1990.
In fact today, Feb. 23,  is Gen. Tibbets' birthday as he was born in Quincy, Illinois in 1915.

see:

http://www.tangischools.org/schools/phs/think/man/tibpic.htm

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Mark M

You can see Bockscar at the Wright-Paterson Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio. It's a really neat place.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/index.htm

CHARLIE

If y'all want to read a good book that will describe what it was like being in a B17 and a B24, I suggest:

The Mighty Eighth by Gerald Astor.  It's paperback.

It's about the 8th Airforce in Britain. It will give you a dang good idea what those boys went through in those planes.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

Arkansawyer sent me this picture of Arkansas Sunshine.

Sawing since '94

Haytrader

That boy has got to be quite a hand with his camera. And he talks all the time about doin all this sawin. Truth be known, he probably has Rodney doin the sawin while he is out taking pictures.
 :D  :D  :D
Haytrader

ohsoloco

Keep 'em pictures cummin, those are some purty pictures.  If it ever warms up around here maybe I'll get out to take some of my own to post  ::)   I THINK there's some logs lying out there under the snow....

Mark M

Here is a view from when I went mountin climbing. My butt was draggin that day  ;)

Bibbyman

I've lived 99.9% of my life at 500-700 foot elevation.  On one of our trips out west, we stopped at one of the parks near Flagstaff.  It was only 100 yards up this moderately steep path to see a volcano crater.  The air was crisp and I felt good – even invigorated.  Got about 100 feet and I thought my lungs were going to come out of my chest!  I had to stop a couple of times going up to "blow awhile".  
Sawing since '94

Tom

I've spent my life at or under 50 feet above sea level.  You should have seen me at Pike's Peak. :D

johnjbc

10 years ago while visiting my son in Cal. We went on a camping trip to Yemenite and to see the Redwoods.  My son and I took one day to hike to the top of Half Dome (~ 18 mi.) .
The last 900 ft. is up smooth granite at about a 60 degree angle. 900 ft. doesn't sound like much but it took over 3 hr. Luckily they have drilled holes and planted pipe with cable for a hand rail and you can almost walk up it. :P
There are 2 cables with posts about 8 ft apart and every other one had a 2x4 crossways between  the pipes.. With the thin air we had to stop at everyone and catch our breath before going on. The lack of oxygen makes you real weak.
Had a little excitement on the way down. It got dark!  ::) ::)
Luckily we ran into a couple Rangers with a flashlight who were looking for someone else and we followed them down. The morel is that if the sign says it's a full day hike don't wait until 8:00 AM to start. 8) 8)
 If you ever get a chance do it, it is cool to lay on the edge of the cliff and look straight
 down almost 1 1/2 mi. you couldn't make out the cars on the road only the buses. 8) 8)
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

johnjbc

Tom your comment about Pike's Peak reminds me of  trip we took out west when our kids were small. Way back in the last century. We set up our campers at the bottom of Pike's Peak and everyone who wanted to go up hopped in to my 1970 Plymouth Station wagon (with a big V8) and headed up the mountain. Everything went OK till about 11000 ft. when the car wouldn't go anymore. ::) ::) It would start but when you pushed on the gas black smoke came out the tail pipe but lt didn't make enough power to move. :P :P
Well my wife and sister in-law looked out the window and down down down not straight down but it went as far as you could see And started crying

After about 10 min. the Park Rangers came along with there 454 cu. in. rig and offered us a tow to the next turn around. :-* They had a cable no more than 6 ft. long and the overhang behind the rear axle was longer than that. Every time we went around one of the hairpin turns,  the overhang would swing out over where they normally put the guard rails, on normal roads and pull us right to the edge. :-X :-X Wife and sister in-law were very vocal about that at first :'( :'(. Then they got on the floor and covered their eyes.
When we got to the first turn out they unhooked us and told us we could go back down or advance the ignition about 30 degrees and go on up 8) 8). After some discussion I loosened the distributor and turned it about 1/6 turn and we went right up. ;D ;D
That was a fun trip, visited relatives in Mo. And Co. and had a great time except for falling in the Glory Hole but we won't talk about that :-X :-X.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Mark M

Well I might have been egg-zadg-u-ratin a little when I said mountain climbing  :-[

It was more like a nice stroll along this path. Course it did happen in a mountain, and we were going up  :-/

Minnesota_boy

Nice picture, Mark, but look at all those clearcuts in th background. :-/
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

beenthere

I expect those "clearcuts" are managed forest areas that help keep the whole forest from burning down.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

whitepe

Mark,
How do you mt. climb with no feet.   ???  ;)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Mark M

I have a good recipe for these things. You cook them in a pot with 4 smooth rocks.
Cook for about 3 hours on medium heat then remove the seagull and eat the rocks.
Works well for loons too!
 ;D

Norm

I was deleting some links out of my favorites list when I found this one to NASA. It is a java applet for listings of times for flyovers of satellites and such. I looked up the space station and found it was going to be low in it's orbit over our place. Patty got home from night classes just in time to view it with me. Pretty impressive.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html

Thank You Sponsors!