iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disappointed with Wood-Mizer

Started by Husky, January 10, 2013, 06:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husky

I called Wood-Mizer Tech Support to get help with the blade guide arm, I was told to read the manual. I had the manual in front of me with the proper tools. The blade guide arm was slamming inward and not operating correctly. I was told there is a red line on the bolts behind the band wheels and just turn those and the arm will tighten? Which way? The red line has worn off after six years of use. Then I was told if you call a John Deere dealer they wont tell me how to put in a water pump, well the local John Deere did tell me how to put in a fuel pump in a 1969 440a skidder! After all the banter back and forth I gave up and told tech support I will figure it out on my own in which I did! VERY Disappointed!!!!!!!!!

petefrom bearswamp

I have had good experiences with WM tech support 99% and poor 1%
If I have a big problem I just take the mill to Hannibal for adjustment and they are very skilled, reasonably fast  and Don't overcharge either.
Of course I am only an hour away and am a hobby kind of guy so being down half a day isn't an issue.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Okrafarmer

Hmmmmmmm.  :-\

Did you ask to speak to the manager of the person you were talking to?

Seems like we already had one thread by this name.  :( I hate to think of going through all the replies again like on the last one.

Just for the record, if I were told what you say you were told, I would not be very impressed either. But the several times I have called them, I have not been treated that way. I might recommend calling their switchboard and politely asking to talk to someone higher up in the company. If they have someone acting rudely, I can assume they will deal with the person if it is brought to the management's attention.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

torqueporting

Meanwhile a tech is saying how disappointed he or she is with Wood-Mizer customers!

drobertson

Huskey, I would be glad to chat with you about that, may not be able to help, but, I, as you know frustration,. Many times these things just take a deep breath, and a new outlook, I fought mine some time ago, and it boiled down to alignment. not that hard, just a slow adjustment till things get right.  Winter is the worst time to have to fiddle with maintenance regardless of the epuiptment. Aye?    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

Any time I've talked to anybody at Wood Mizer, they have done everything they could to get me going again over the phone. The only big problem I had was the Wireless remote. Mine was one of the very first hand assembled by Jeremy, and there was an issue between the Remote and the software or circuit board. They had me on the phone with the engineers in Indy (our very own sparks and another guy, I think his name was Billy?). We were able to eliminate several things and Jeremy was out as soon as he could get parts and put in a new Accuset board and all the wireless parts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they don't try to get you off the phone, they keep talking until you decide you've gotten what you've called for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Ten four on that! as it is with most wmz owners, I have never seen anyone that would not lend a hand or advice.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

5quarter

Husky...If I had to deal with a wise-acre fellow like that, I'd have steam coming out of my ears as well. But perhaps you should have titled your thread, "disappointed in a Woodmizer tech", or maybe just send  your post to Mooney or one of the WM techs who are members here. I just don't see what you hope to accomplish by posting this on a public forum. Woodmizers customer service is legendary for going above and beyond the call of duty, as you must already know. I'm not a woodmizer owner, but I appreciate the high level of service and integrity they provide many of our members, including you. I also appreciate their sponsorship of and participation in this forum. One thing you should understand if you don't already; unlike the rest of the internet, this Forum is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. And our stalwart and resolute dictator works very hard to provide us members with the best of the best. without sponsorship, it would not be possible. Think twice next time.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

AdamT

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 10, 2013, 09:01:28 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they don't try to get you off the phone, they keep talking until you decide you've gotten what you've called for.

+1
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Okrafarmer

Quote from: AdamT on January 10, 2013, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 10, 2013, 09:01:28 PM

+ another 1, my experience too.
+1
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

GDinMaine

Husky,
I understand your frustration, but you could easily find out the answer to your own question.  You can only turn a bolt in two directions.  Try one way...if no improvement then turn the other way until desired tightness and guide arm position is achieved.  I recently bought a used mill (LT-40) and it took me two days, but I did a full alignment on it following the book and checking each measurement 3x.  In the end the mill cut square lumber.   There is no quicker way to find out what does what on the machine when you dive right in. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

drobertson

I did run into a similar situation a while back.  The H-bridge went out at the top of the mast, I was doing the usual clean-up for the day when a conservation worker came by looking for some mountain man type stock. they were building a wagon for an up coming retreat.  As usual, I showed him the mill and set up, and then failure. Like a dummy after he left, I thought I would get smart and bring the head down, by taking off the gear box belt, straight to the bottom wo, with a bit of a bang, long story short, it took a week of electronics and mill alignment before I was going again.  Patience, Patience, Patience, as an ole horse trainer always told me.   A deep breath with a mind set of resolve will overcome most everything.   david

Cedarman

If I am going to align the mill, I like to start early Sat morning.  The rest of the mill is quiet, and I can relax.
Have plenty of tools available.
Have the manual.
Think through the whole procedure first.
If a problem develops where support is needed, WM is available on Sat morning.
If a bolt breaks or an allen screw gets stripped and no spare is available, hardware stores are open.
Make the procedure enjoyable by relaxing.  Do not get in a hurry.  If you have to be done by noon or have a deadline, get rid of the deadline.
Been doing it since '83.
This is for alignment, not repairs.
I know there are times that repairs  can be frustrating, especially when it comes to those silly electrons what won't go where you want them to.  Those are the worst.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

scully

Wow ! Did you call Hannibal or just get the random tech service line ? I gotta tell you somethings not right here ,I have witnessed more phone cosultations on tech problems than anyone and I say that with great authority ! At no time have I ever witnessed a wood-mizer Hannibal tech "blowing off" a customers problem ! Listen step back and look at your situation ! Is it the end of your mill ? Is there no aparant help available ? Perhaps the answers you got were not what you wanted but as stated here there are tons of alternatives through WM to meet the end to your means ! Of course if I have a tech problem I reserve the right to just go up there and agravate them until they do what ever it takes to correct it ...And rest assured I know without a doubt they absolutly will !
I bleed orange  .

beenthere

QuoteYou can only turn a bolt in two directions.

GD
My thoughts exactly when reading the complaint.
Would be interesting to hear what the tech was hearing on his end. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

Just like there are some people that should not be allowed to raise children there are also people that should not be allowed to own equipment of ANY kind! Not even a wheel barrow! >:(
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on January 11, 2013, 04:41:40 PM
Just like there are some people that should not be allowed to raise children there are also people that should not be allowed to own equipment of ANY kind! Not even a wheel barrow! >:(
:-X
Ouch.

customsawyer

Keep in mind that WoodMizer is employ owned so are talking to a owner of the company when you call.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clww

AND they're a major sponsor on here, too. Have been for years, as far as I remember.
IMHO, this entire thing could have been handled better and I'd bet there's a lot more to the story than was written.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hamish

Most likely what you experienced was just a communication breakdown.  Different words mean different things to different people.  Both parties need to get on the same page and understanding before things can go on, many times it can be very difficult...........you married?

I called Woodmizer up here and was brushed off, tried to talk with there reps at two different shows, was brushed off, guess what I didn't buy a Woodmizer, but know a few owners and I would still get one.  Great product.

What I learned, dont' call Woodmizer Canada when you get off work early on a friday afternoon, nor show up at a show on the first day, especially right when it opens, and they aren't set up yet (yet should be!!). 

Sometimes the ball gets dropped, but from my experience in dealing with customer service with any company, those in the US have amazing customer service.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

levans

I have always felt when I talk to an employe I am talking to the company.

Sawdust Lover

We all have our good days and bad days with our mills. Sometimes on the bad days its better to just walk away and try again later. I own a Timberking and do have to call them every now and then and they are great, as is Woodmizer. There has been a few times when the customer support wasn't there but the other 95% of the time it was. Not sure I would post that 5% on a forum. Especially when they are a sponsor.

Jeff

The Forum doesn't like to see a swipe taken taken at any company just for the sake of taking a swipe, neither does the membership. Sponsor or not. That's just not what we are all here for. If you get on here with a problem, and are asking for help or direction, just about to the member, they will all do what they can to try and help figure it out. If you are simply getting on here to take a swipe at someone because you perceived things did not go to your liking, then that's just being ornery and mean spirited and you are apt to get a result not considered.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bogue Chitto

I had a problem with my W.M. one time where it could not be figured out. It took a while and it became a big mystery to both me and Wood-Mizer.  They sent Tim out free of charge and we figured it out.  I have always had good service from Wood-Mizer. They are the best.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!